Maja Blanca, or “Filipino Coconut Pudding” is a popular and easy Filipino dessert dish, made with coconut milk, corn starch and sugar. In earlier days Maja Blanca did not include corn and milk, but these were added later to improve flavour and texture. This yummy Kitchen maja blaca recipe will guide you step by step to make very delicious and scrumptious Maja Blanca with Corn, Milk and Coconut milk. We are sure that this will show you how to make maja blanca, and we have added our youtube video to give you a real video of this recipe
My mother used to make Maja Blanca during special occasions. I remember sneaking in the kitchen when no one was around and grab a spoonful of the Maja blanca my mother kept in the fridge. She used to top it with grated cheese. She then tells us to wait for a few hours before digging it. I don’t think the word “wait” is included in a child’s vocabulary. At least, it wasn’t included in mine and my siblings.
I like having my maja blanca with corn. I also love topping it with grated coconut or cheese curl crumbs. When I feel a bit adventurous, I also add a bit of chopped bacon on top. The possibilities are endless!
You can also use “latik” as toppings for the maja blanca. That’s usually the toppings you can find from those street-sold Maja Blanca. While that is the “traditional” toppings, you can try different ones as per your liking.
How to Make Corn Maja Blanca
Maja blanca is probably one of the first few recipes I’ve learned when I was young. The recipe is pretty simple and the ingredients required are only few. This is my go-to recipe when I want something quick to make for simple or special snack.
Basically, you start by combining all the ingredients in a pot except the cornstarch and cheese. After combining, let it boil for a few minutes until the coconut milk is cooked. While waiting for the mixture to boil, dissolve the cornstarch in a separate bowl. This will then be added to the mixture when it boils.
When adding the dissolved cornstarch, the hard part will start. This is where you need to stir the mixture nonstop as it will start to thicken up and becomes stickier. You will keep stirring until the mixture becomes smooth. Usually, the cooking time after you add cornstarch is around 8 to 10 minutes.
Once the mixture becomes smoother, time to transfer it to your tray or container. You have to be quick in doing this as it will set fast. Be sure to smoothen the top as soon as you pour it for even-looking top. Let it cool before putting any toppings.
HOW TO COOK LATIK
As mentioned, latik is also a yummy option for toppings. Cooking latik is very simple. You will just need around 1 cup coconut cream or pure coconut milk. Cook in low heat until it starts to curdle and the oil begins to separate. Cook it more until the curds turn light brown. Separate the oil from the curds by straining. The brown curds are the latik.
Maja BlancaCourse: DessertCuisine: Filipino
maja blanca ingredients
3 cups coconut milk
1 big can evaporated milk (370ml)
1 big can condensed milk (300ml)
1 can Cream style corn
Sugar (add as needed)
2 cups water + 1 cup to dissolve cornstarch
cheese or latik for toppings
- In a pot, mix everything except corn starch and reserve 1 cup of water.
- Mix well until sugar dissolves. Taste the mixture and see if the sweetness is per your liking. Add or reduce sugar as needed.
- Turn on the heat and let it boil in medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, dissolve cornstarch with the water you reserved (1 cup). Make sure that there’s no lumps. Set aside.
- Once the mixture is boiling, add in the cornstarch while whisking continuously and vigorously. Cook for at least 5 minutes while whisking in between to avoid burning and sticking in the bottom.
- Once cooked, transfer to a tray or dish. Set it aside and let it cool.
- Top with cheese or latik.
Watch how to cook Maja Blanca
- 200 grams of cornstarch is equivalent to around 1 and ¾ cup.
- If you are going to use fresh grated coconut to get coconut milk from, use 2 large coconuts. Then, press it two times. First press, use 1 ½ cup hot water. For the 2nd press, use 2 ½ cup hot water. When doing this, no need to add water to the mixture. You will only need 1 cup water to dissolve the cornstarch.
- Make sure that the measurements are correct to get firm consistency of the Maja Blanca. In this recipe, I used standard measuring cup to measure the ingredients.
This maja blanca recipe will show you how to make maja blanca with step by step procedure. Just preparemaja blanca ingredients as per our list and follow the steps. Maja blanca is filipino coconut pudding made with cornstarch or corn powder. This filipino corn dessert is made with coconut milk and condensed milk. There are two version of maja blanca is available this one will show you how to make maja blanca with coconut milk. .