Beef lasagna is one of my favorite comfort foods. Layered with tasty, savory meat sauce and creamy cheese sauce, this beef lasagna is my go-to recipe when I want to prepare something special for my friends and family.
Beef Lasagna Filipino Style
Filipino style lasagna might be a little different when it comes to classic lasagna. While the classic lasagna uses special cheese and other ingredients, this recipe is cooked with readily-available and easy to get ingredients.
Instead of marinara, I used the typical tomato sauce as one of the key ingredients for the meat sauce. I also used some simple cheese ingredients for the white / cheese sauce, but you can alternate it with better ones (like mozzarella or cottage cheese) if available.
HOW TO COOK LASAGNA WITHOUT OVEN
If you don’t have oven, you can still cook lasagna. There are a few other ways to do it.
For pan-baking, you will need a large wok or deep pan with lid and a wire rack. In this method, you will need to cook this in a stove-top. Pre-heat the pan in low heat for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, put the wire rack followed by the lasagna in baking dish. Cover and cook in a very low heat for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbly. In this method, you don’t have to put water in the pan. The dry heat will cook the lasagna.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Just make sure that the pan or pot you’re going to use is made of thick material when trying the pan-baking. As much as possible, avoid stainless steel material as they burn easily.
In a microwave, you will need microwave oven (of course) and microwave-safe baking dish. Layer the lasagna in a microwave safe dish. Microwave for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cheese topping is completely melted.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Never use metal containers when cooking or baking in a microwave oven. Be sure to use glass or ceramic or any microwave-safe containers.
Beef Lasagna (No-Oven)Course: PastaCuisine: Filipino
500 grams Lasagna Sheets
- FOR MEAT SAUCE
1 kilo Ground Beef
1/2 cup onion (minced)
5 cloves garlic (minced)
1 cup mushroom
3 tablespoon tomato paste
4 cups tomato sauce
2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
4 tablespoon sugar (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup beef broth
- FOR WHITE SAUCE
4 tablespoon butter (unsalted)
4 tablespoon all-purpose flour
4 cups milk
1 1/2 cup quickmelt cheese (more for toppings)
salt & pepper to taste
- FOR MEAT SAUCE
- In a large pan, put the ground beef. Cook in medium heat until the color turns brown. Once browned and fat is rendered, remove from heat. Strain to remove excess oil from the rendered fat.
- In the same pan, add some oil for sauteing. Add the onion and sauté’ until translucent. Then add the garlic and saute’ for a minute. Stir in the browned beef and saute’s for a few minutes. Add mushroom and saute’ a little.
- After sauteing, add the tomato paste and tomato sauce. Stir until well-combined. Add the seasoning like oregano, Italian seasoning, sugar, ground black pepper, and salt to taste. Stir until well-blended. Then, add the beef broth. Cover and let it simmer for 30 minutes in low heat.
- After 30 minutes, once the meat sauce is cooked and thick, remove from heat and set aside.
- FOR THE WHITE SAUCE
- In a pot, using low heat, melt the butter. Add all purpose flour. Stir until smooth. Cook for a few minutes while stirring continuously to avoid burning.
- Then, add the milk small amount at a time while continuously stirring to avoid lumps. Let it boil and thicken up.
- After around 8 minutes, the sauce should have thickened up a bit. Add salt and pepper to taste. Then, add the cheese. Stir until the cheese has completely melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In an oven-safe baking dish, spread some meat sauce, followed by a layer of white sauce. Then, add a layer of lasagna sheet. Spread another layer of meat sauce on the top of the lasagna sheet, followed by the white sauce. Repeat procedure until you fill the baking dish. Top with meat sauce, white sauce and grated cheese (mozzarella).
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 to 40 minutes at 180 C.
- After baking, let it rest for 30 minutes before cutting. That is for the layers to set.
- Serve with chopped parsley. Enjoy!
Watch how to cook beef lasagna without Oven
- If you don’t have beef broth, you can use beef broth cube. Dissolve 1 piece of beef broth cube in 1 cup hot water.
- To keep the lasagna sheet from sticking together, put in cold water after boiling. This will stop the cooking process and will keep the lasagna sheets firm and al dente.
- For the topping, you can use mozzarella cheese if available. You may also sprinkle some parmesan cheese on the top.