Give your usual Maja Blanca some fruity twist with this Fruity Maja Blanca. Make it even more colorful and flavorful by adding some bits of fruit cocktail and corn with it. You can make this as special dessert for any occasion or simply be your merienda when you crave for something sweet.
Fruity Maja Blanca Recipe
- 200 grams cornstarch (1 & 3/4 cup)
- 2 cups thick coconut cream
- 3 cups thin coconut milk
- 1 big can condense milk (390g)
- 1 big can evaporated milk (370ml)
- 2 cups fruit cocktail (drained)
- 1 cup whole corn kernel
- 1/2 cup sugar (optional / add or omit as needed)
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (more for toppings)
- 1 cup water (to dissolve cornstarch
1. In a pot, combine the thick coconut cream, thin coconut milk, condensed milk, evaporated milk, fruit cocktail, grated cheese and whole corn kernels. Stir and mix well. After mixing, taste if you get the desired sweetness. Add sugar if needed. I added 1/2 cup sugar depending on my taste. Adjust as needed. Then, mix well.
2. When all of the milk mixture is well-combined, put in a medium heat and let it boil.
3. While waiting for the mixture to boil, dissolve the cornstarch in a bowl. Combine the cornstarch and water. Make sure that there’s no lumps. Then, set aside.
4. When the mixture starts to boil, let it simmer for around 3 minute for the coconut milk to get cooked. After 3 minutes, lower the heat then pour the dissolved cornstarch and stir continuously. The mixture will start to thicken up and becomes sticky. Just keep on stirring while cooking to avoid sticking in the bottom. Cook for around 8 to 10 minutes until the mixture is smooth and sticky.
5. Once cooked, remove from heat and transfer to a tray or container immediately. Smoothen the top before it set and becomes firm. Top with fruit cocktail and whole corn (optional) Let it cool a little.
6. Once cooled down, top with grated cheese or latik (optional). Enjoy!
Read recipe notes below for more details…
- In this recipe, I used 2 big coconuts and pressed them 2 times to get coconut milk (for the thick coconut milk, I used 1 cup hot water and press) (for the thin coconut milk, I used 1 cup hot water and 2 cups cold water and press.)
- If you are going to use canned coconut milk or pure coconut cream, use 3 cups coconut milk/cream and add 2 cups water.
- Add sugar as needed. Taste the mixture first before adding.
- Maja Blanca can last for 3 to 5 days depending on the preparation and when stored in refrigerator.