A Boston Cake is a simple but deliciously tasty cream cake filled with custard cream, layered with sponge cake and topped with a rich velvety chocolate syrup. In the recipe, we’ll be making a quick and simple cake without the need of baking and all those preparation, with minimal ingredients but still great tasty results. Make your afternoons get even better with this chilled custardy dessert that everyone will surely love!
What exactly is a Boston Cake?
The Boston Cake or known as the Boston Cream Pie was called a pie from the colonists who baked their cake in a pie tin, as they did not have any cake molds or pans. The official dessert of Massachusetts since December 12, 1996. It was named as ‘Boston’ after the 1855 New York newspaper published a “Pudding Pie Cake” recipe similar to the Boston Cream Pie we know today except for the powdered sugar topping. It was in Boston where Harvey D. Parker opened his restaurant called the ‘Parker House Restaurant’, which has the ‘Parker House Chocolate Pie’ in the menu. It was similar to the published New York article but in replacement of the powdered sugar, chocolate glaze was used as a topping. While another story goes that the original Boston Cream Pie was invented in Boston’s Parker House hotel in the 19thcentury, featuring the sponge cake layered with cream, iced with a vanilla or chocolate fondant. Based on a box mix from the 1950’s similar to the old-fashioned hot milk cake or yellow birthday cake. The Boston cake is seen as America’s ‘idea’ of what a cake should be a cream filled vanilla layered cake, covered with fondant, iced cream frosting, or covered in dark chocolate ganache. Became popular even as there were already a number of custard cake variations and was named as such. Though it is still an unsure story on how it was remained into ‘Boston Cream Pie’ many pastry chefs do believe that it was reference to where it was recreated.
In this Boston Cake simplified recipe, by crumbling your favorite sponge cake or making your own sponge cake and bake them into 3 thin layers, or simply cool and crumble to be set aside while we made the vanilla custard. This deliciously addicting custard is made by using egg yolks, sugar, evaporated milk for extra sweetness, salt and vanilla extract, all purpose flour, mixed till combined then poured in a pan or pot, stirred continuously till it’s thick in texture, adding the butter to give it a certain rich taste and texture, mix till its completely combined and looks creamy with a bit of a shine from the butter. Set aside to cool. Whip up some cream while slowly adding the custard to make it light and fluffy. This makes it feel less dense and perfect to eat after dinner heavy meals. Without the cream the custard feels too heavy and pact. To assemble, spread some cream evenly over the base of the tray, top with the thin sponge cake or crumbles sponge cake, repeating the cream and cake alternately till you’ve made 3 layers of custard cream. Place it in the fridge to keep them stable. For a quick chocolate ganche, mix a warmed all purpose cream over some chocolate, mixing till you have a smooth silky chocolate. Pour this over the chilled cake and spread this evenly. Let this cool in the fridge to make sure all the layers are cold and solid enough to easily cut through it.
A comforting and delicious chilled cake that feels like a refrigerator cake but with a custard filling instead of cream which gives it a thicker ice cream like feel, layered with your favorite sponge cake, topped with chocolate that makes it all the more satisfying.
Boston CakeCourse: Dessert, SnacksCuisine: American
A creamy delicious simplified custard cake
- For the cake
4 egg yolks
¾ cup sugar
1 can evaporated milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ cup all purpose flour
½ cup butter
3 pieces plain sponge cake
1 pack all purpose cream (chilled)
- For the chocolate ganache
½ pack all purpose cream
200 grams dark chocolate (chopped)
- For the custard; In a bowl, mix egg yolks, sugar, and evaporated milk. Add salt, vanilla extract, all purpose flour and mix well.
- Cook this in a pan at low heat. Stirring constantly till this thickens. Once thick, add the butter and mix till smooth. Then transfer this in a bowl, cover with a plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for an hour.
- In another bowl, crumble the sponge cake, then set aside,
- In a new bowl, pour the all purpose cream and beat on high speed. Gradually add the chilled custard while whisking, repeat till all the custard has been added and the mixture turns smooth.
- Place one third of the custard mix in a container or baking tray and spread this evenly. Top with the crumbled cake, add half of the remaining custard mixture and spread evenly.
- Top with another layer of crumbled cake and final layer of custard cream. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- For the chocolate ganache; heat all purpose cream for 1 minute in a pan at low heat, pour this over the dark chocolate and mix till smooth.
- Place 3 tablespoons over the chilled cake. And spread evenly. Chill this in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!
This simplified Boston cake will surely win anyone over by its homemade sweet but balanced vanilla custard layered with premade buttery fluffy sponge cake, and finished with a glossy chocolate syrup. An American classic made easy with just a few steps and ingredients but with a homemaker’s touch. Perfect for an after dinner dessert, a fancy afternoon treat, or just a chilled slice of heaven to cool off from the hot summer’s day sun. Try out this homemade custard cake that turns even better the next day when the custard has soaked in the crumbled sponge cake and everything is perfectly chilled.
Boston Cake recipe (tagalog)
- Para sa keyk
- 4 dilaw ng itlog
- ¾ tasa asukal
- 1 lata evaporated milk
- 1 kutsaritang asin
- 2 kutsaritang vanilla extract
- ¼ tasa harina
- ½ tasa mantikilya
- 3 piraso simpol na sponge cake (nacrumble)
- 1 pack all purpose cream (pinalamig magdamag)
- Para sa chocolate ganache
- ½ pakete all purpose cream
- 200 gramo dark chocolate (tinadtad)
- Para sa custard; Sa mangkok, haluin ang dilaw ng itlog, asukal, evaporated milk. Dagdagan ng asin, vanilla extract, at harina, haluin ng mabuti.
- Lutuin ito sa kawali na may mababang init. Ihalo hanggang kumapal. Pagkumapal na, pagsamahin ang mantikilya at ihalo hanggang makinis ang itsura. Ilipat sa mangkok at takpan ng plastik wrap, palamigin sa ref ng 1 oras.
- Sa ibang mangkok, icrumble ang spongecake at itabi.
- Gamit ang panibagong mangkok, ibuhos ang all purpose cream at batihin ng mabilis at konting konting isama ang custard na ginawa dito. Batihin hanggang nasama ang lahat ng custard at mukang makinis ang crema.
- Ilagaya ang 1/3 ng custard cream sa baba ng lalagyanan o baking trey at ipantay ang pagkalat. Lagyan ng sponge cake crumble sa taas. Ikalat ang kalahating natitirang custard cream sa taas at pantayin.
- Lagyan ng isa pang patong ng sponge cake crumble at natitirang custard cream. Palamigin sa ref ng 30 na minuto.
- Para sa chocolate ganache; initin ang all purpose cream ng 1 minuto sa kawali na may mababang init, ibuhos sa taas ng dark tsokolate at haluin ng mabuti,
- Ilugar ang 3 kutsarang tsokolate sa taas ng pinalamig na keyk. Ipantay ang pagkalat at palamigin ng 1 oras.
- Ihanda ng malamig at ienjoy!