Yema cake is an all-time Filipino dessert made with our love for yema. It is a fluffy cake with creamy and delicious yema filling and frosting topped with grated cheese.
YEMA CAKE WITH FROSTING
Yema takes a special place in my heart. The triangular 5-pesos yema candy was my favourite candy when I was a child. I always buy a box of it whenever we go to the market. Its sweetness makes it the perfect dessert for me after I eat a salty dish. I never knew what it is made out of when I was a child. I just know that it’s delicious, I like it and I will eat it. For me it was like the Filipino version of caramel.
Yema became a trend way back years ago. People got creative on where they would use the yema. Yema has been a lot of candy versions, a spread, a waffle filling and a lot more. It has been a flavor of ice cream. Yema became everywhere. But people never get tired of yema and continued creating new ways on how to enjoy it.
I first tasted a yema cake when my auntie brought one home. I like it but was disappointed a little because the yema frosting was thin and there is no frosting in the middle. That yema cake was like just a big sponge cake. Since then, I started imagining creating my own yema cake which I promised myself that I would put a lot of yema frosting in it.
I made my first yema cake just recently. I wanted to make a delicious one and show it to my auntie who introduced the idea to me. I got the recipe on the internet and gladly it was easy to follow. So I did what I promised myself. I made the perfect yema cake with a gorgeous amount of yema frosting. The triangular yema candy was the best dessert for me when I was a child but this yema cake is now my favourite now that I am an adult. Yema never gets old.
HOW TO MAKE YEMA CAKE WITH FROSTING
Start the cake batter by preparing two large bowls. On the first bowl, you are going to mix the dry ingredients. Start with combining the cake flour, baking powder salt and sugar. Sift the ingredients to ensure that there would be no lumps. The lumps could mean that some of the big granules are not fully-incorporated with the rest of the ingredients and may cause a change in the texture of the cake. On the second bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Add the egg yolks, milk, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Do not throw the egg whites from the eggs since it would be used for the meringue. For the milk, you can use evaporated milk or fresh milk. Combine the mixtures from the two bowls and mix well until it smoothens. The initial cake batter is now prepared. Set it aside.
The meringue adds creaminess and airiness to the cake batter. It is prepared using only three simple ingredients. Grab a large bowl and place the egg whites. Beat the egg whites in high speed using a hand mixer. As the egg whites make a foam, add the cream of tartar. In baking, cream of tartar is used as a leavening agent which causes the puto to rise and expand. It also adds to the creamy texture of the meringue. This will also make the resulting cake even creamier. Add in the white sugar and beat the mixture until it reaches stiff peaks. To check if the egg whites you are whipping are in stiff peaks, try to turn the bowl over. If the egg whites does not drop, then it has reached the right stage. The meringue is now done. Set aside.
The final yema cake batter is made through combining the initial cake batter and the meringue. Add the meringue in the cake batter in three parts. Blend it first before adding the other meringue. Mix it well until it smoothens. Prepare the baking pan by lining it with a wax paper or just by greasing it with some oil. Pour the cake batter and tap the baking pan against the table for a few times to ensure that there were no bubbles trapped inside the batter. Cover the baking pan with aluminium foil to prevent water droplets to fall into the batter during the steaming process.
Place the yema cake in a steamer and allow it to cook for 30 to 35 minutes under medium heat. If you will be using a llanera, only steam for 20 minutes. Do not open the steamer while it is steaming. The sudden change of temperature will cause some of the air from the cake to go out, eventually making the cake shrink. After 35 minutes, turn off the heat but do not take the yema cake out yet. Take off the steamer lid and leave the cake inside the steamer for about 10 minutes. By doing this, the temperature cools down slowly and the cake will firm its shape slowly as it cools down. After 10 minutes, you may remove the aluminium foil and allow the cake to fully cool down in a cake rack for frosting.
Yema frosting is the icing of our yema cake. A yema cake is called a yema cake specifically because of this frosting. In a pan, add 3 egg yolks, evaporated milk and all-purpose flour. The traditional yema candy is made using egg yolks and condensed milk only. The all-purpose flour was added to make the yema frosting a thick sauce. Mix these three ingredients well and then transfer to a pan. Cook under low heat. Stir continuously to avoid sticking to the bottom and burning. Add some salt to balance the sweetness. You may also drizzle some vanilla extract for added flavor. You may also add some lemon zest or any citrus flavor. The yema frosting will thicken after about 10 minutes of cooking. Turn off the heat and place the yema frosting in a container. It is now time to decorate our yema cake.
Yema Cake with Frosting
You can start decorating the cake when it has cooled down fully. Decorate and frost the yema cake however you like. In my yema cake, I cut the cake crosswise and placed some frosting in the middle and the top part of the cake. I also covered the whole cake with yema frosting. Add some grated cheese as the saltiness of the cheese compliments with the sweetness of the yema frosting. Cut your yema cake into serving pieces and enjoy eating.
Yema Cake Recipe
This yema cake recipe will show you how to cook yema cake for your dears and loved ones. This is the best yema cake recipe and you will be delighted to see the tastiest yema cake recipe you ever eaten. Watch this yema cake recipe video and follow step by step to make yema cake
Yema Cake (No-Oven)Course: Cake Recipes
- For the yema cake:
- Cake batter:
1 ¼ cup cake flour
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup white sugar
4 pieces eggyolks
½ cup milk
¼ cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 pieces egg whites
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1/3 cup white sugar
- For the yema frosting:
3 pieces eggyolks
1 can condensed milk (390g)
¾ cup evaporated milk
- For the cake batter
- In a large bowl, strain 1 ¼ cup of cake flour, 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder and ½ teaspoon salt. Sift to remove lumps. Add ½ cup of white sugar and mix well. Set aside.
- In another bowl, put 4 pieces of egg yolks, ½ cup milk, ¼ cup of coconut oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and mix well.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Mix well until smooth. Set aside.
- For the meringue:
- Add 4 pieces of egg whites in a bowl and beat on high speed until foamy. Add ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar. Add 1/3 cup white sugar gradually while beating. Beat until you achieve stiff peaks. Do not overbeat.
- Add the meringue in the cake batter in three parts. Gently cut and fold. Mix well until smooth.
- Place a baking sheet greased with oil on a baking pan and pour the cake batter. Cover with foil to avoid water drips while steaming.
- Steam the cake for 30 to 35 minutes under medium heat. If you are using a llanera, steam for 20 minutes. Do not open the steamer while steaming as it will cause the cake to shrink.
- After 35 minutes, turn off the fire and take off the steamer lid. Leave the cake in the steamer for 10 minutes to avoid shrinking.Remove the foil and let the cake cool before unmolding.
- For the yema frosting
- Add 3 pieces of eggyolks in a pan. Add 1 can of condensed milk (390g). Dissolve 1 teaspoon of all-purpose flour in a ¾ cup evaporated milk and then add to the mixture. Blend well.
- Cook the yema frosting under low heat. Stir continuously. Add ½ teaspoon salt to balance the sweetness. After 10 minutes of cooking, the frosting will thicken. Turn off the heat. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or lemon zest or any citrus extract. Mix well.
- Unmold the cake and frost the yema however you like. Top with grated cheese.
- Serve and enjoy.