Custard Cake is made by steaming a custard cake mixture made by arranging caramelised sugar, custard mixture, cake mixture and meringue in layers. Custard mixture consist eggs, evaporated milk, vanilla extract and condensed milk, cake mixture is made by cake flour, egg yolks, sugar, milk, oil and baking powder, cake meringue is made by egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. So follow this recipe to make the best custard cake for your family and friends.
Cooking custard cake can be a little daunting for some since this cake requires a lot of steps. From the caramel to the custard to the chiffon, you have to be very careful in completing the steps to avoid failure. Some people may also find baking this cake impossible since they have no oven. BUT! WORRY NO MORE! This recipe doesn’t require oven as we will use steaming method to make this.
Custard CakeCourse: Cake Recipes, Desserts
- FOR CARAMEL
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
- FOR CUSTARD
5 whole eggs
1 can evaporated milk (370ml)
1 tsp vanilla extract (or lemon zest)
1 can condensed milk (390g)
- FOR CAKE
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup milk or water
4 pcs. egg yolks
1 1/2 cup cake flour
- FOR MERINGUE
4 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- HOW TO COOK THE CARAMEL: Combine sugar and water in a pan. Cook in low heat until it turns amber color. Transfer to a pan and let it cool. Set aside. (You may also caramelize the sugar directly in a baking pan (no need to use water).
- FOR THE CUSTARD: Combine all the ingredients for custard. Mix well. Then strain two times using fine sieve to make it smooth. Pour on to the cooled caramel. Set aside.
- FOR THE CAKE: In a mixing bowl, combine cake flour, baking powder and salt. Sift to remove lumps. Add sugar and mix well. In separate bowl, combine egg yolks, milk, oil and vanilla extract. Mix well. Then, combine the dry and wet ingredients. Set aside while making meringue.
- MAKING MERINGUE. Beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar. Beat in high speed. Then, add sugar gradually. Beat until you get stiff peaks. After you make a meringue, cut and fold it to the cake mixture. Use spatula or spoon in mixing. Do not overmix to prevent the meringue from deflating.
- Then pour the cake+meringue mixture on the top of custard mixture gently. You may also use a cup while pouring the batter over the custard mixture to make sure that it isn’t mixing (it’s staying on the top)
- Cover with foil to avoid the steaming water to drip to the cake. Steam for 50 to 60 minutes (depending on the pan size and thickness of the mixture. I used 10 inches round pan in this recipe. Do the toothpick test to check if it’s done. Poke in the middle and if it comes out clean, it’s ready.
- Once ready, remove from the steamer and let is cool a little before unmolding. Enjoy!
Watch how to cook Steamed Custard Cake
Read recipe notes below for more details…
- You can also bake this recipe. FOR BAKING: Use bain-marie method or water bath baking method wherein the baking pan is placed in a larger baking tray and fill it with hot water. Bake at 180C for 50 to 60 minutes. Make sure that the oven is pre-heated.
- If you don’t have cream of tartar, you can use vinegar or lemon juice as alternative – just double the amount required. For this recipe, instead of 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar, use 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar. Cream of tartar is used to stabilized the meringue and help in preventing from deflating.
- Make sure that your mixing bowl is clean and dry when making meringue. The oil or grease in the bowl may result to meringue not to achieve stiff peaks.
- You can caramelize the sugar directly in your baking pan especially if it is heat-proof. Just use low heat when caramelizing to avoid burning.
- You can make your own cake flour by combining all purpose flour and cornstarch. To make 1 cup cake flour: measure 1 cup all purpose flour. Then, remove 2 tablespoon of it. Replace it with 2 tablespoon cornstarch. Combine the flour and cornstarch.
custard cake or this magic cake can be made by steaming and this custard cake recipe will guide you to make a magic custard cake by step by step procedure. This is 3 layer magic cake and really tasty in cakes and custard and is custard sponge cake