Kalamay Lansong is a Filipino dessert made by steaming a cake mixture made with glutinous rice, sugar and coconut milk. This sticky rice cake is topped up with caramelised coconut cream (latik) to make it more scrumptious and sweet. Follow our recipe to make this popular Philippines kakanin in your home.
The kalamay lansong is a sticky chewy rice cake made sweet with sugar and coconut. This dessert snack is so easy you can make it at home as a substitute for the famous tikoy during the New Year. It is literally one of the easiest rice cake to make which can be used as a base for other steamed rice cake dishes.
HOW TO COOK KALAMAY LANSONG
If you would take a peek on the ingredients list, there is no doubt the kalamay lansong won’t tear you even a single sweat. Prepare the latik first. This will be our garnish for the kalamay. To make some latik, simple heat the coconut cream until it curdles and then strain the brown bits and set aside. Sounds very easy, right?
Now that the latik is done, let us prepare our baking pan. Kalamay and other rice cakes are known to be cooked with banana leaves. There is a certain aroma and sweetish flavor added to the dish when banana leaves are used. Fresh banana leaves are brittle and unbendable. Before lining it in the baking pan, pass the leaves quickly through hot flame to make it bendable and pliable. After you line the baking pan with the leaves, brush some coconut oil strained from the latik. This is done to prevent the kalamay from sticking from the leaves and remove it easier. The coconut oil also added more coconut flavor and aroma.
The kalamay mixture is done by simply mixing all the ingredients. Surprised? Yes! It is really that simple. Pour the kalamay mixture in the baking pan and it is now ready for steaming. The steaming may take a lot of time but it’s definitely worth it. Steam the kalamay for 40-45 minutes. Do not forget to cover the lid with cloth to prevent water drippings in the kalamay.
Transfer the kalamay lansong in a serving plate by flipping it over. Remove the banana leaves and top with the latik. Slice it like a cake and enjoy with your favorite hot coffee or tea. Enjoy!
Kalamay LansongCourse: Desserts
1 cup coconut cream (for latik)
4 cups glutinous rice flour
1 ½ cup sugar
3 cups coconut milk
- For the Latik:
- Heat some coconut cream until it curdles.
- Once browned, remove from the heat.
- Strain to separate the oil. Set aside.
- Pan preparation:
- Pass banana leaves through flame to wilt and become pliable.
- Line your baking pan using the wilted banana leaves.
- Brush the banana leaf with some coconut oil from the latik.
- Set aside.
- For the Kalamay Lansong:
- In a large bowl, add the glutinous rice flour, sugar and coconut milk. Mix the ingredients well until smooth and has no lumps.
- Pour the kalamay mixture to the banana leaf-lined baking pan.
- Place the baking pan in a steamer. Cover the lid with some cloth to avoid water from dripping. Let the kalamay steam for 40 to 45 minutes using medium heat.
- Flip the kalamay into a plate and remove the banana leaf.
- Top the kalamay lansong with the latik before serving. Enjoy!
Paano Magluto ng Kalamay Lansong
- 1 tasa ng gata (para sa latik)
- 4 tasa ng glutinous rice flour
- 1 ½ tasa ng asukal
- 3 tasa ng gatas ng niyog
Para sa Latik:
- Painitin ang gata hanggang magbuo-buo.
- Kapag naging brown na, alisin ito sa apoy.
- I-strain ito para maihiwalay ang latik sa coconut oil.
Paghahanda ng lalagyan:
- Padaanin sa apoy ang dahon ng saging para lumambot.
- Ipatong ang dahon ng saging sa isang baking pan.
- Ibrush ang dahon ng saging gamit ang coconut oil galing sa paggagawa ng latik.
Para sa Kalamay Lansong:
- Sa isang malaking bowl, pagsamasamahin ang glutinous rice flour, asukal at gatas ng niyog. Haluin ang mga ito ng mabuti at siguraduhing walang buo buo.
- Ilagay ang kalamay mixture sa baking pan na may dahon ng saging.
- Ilagay ang baking pan sa steamer. Balutan ng tela ang takip nito para hindi tumulo sa kalamay ang drippings. Hayaan itong ma-steam ng 40 hanggang 45 minuto gamit ang katamtamang apoy.
- Baliktarin ang kalamay sa isang pinggan at tanggalin ang dahon ng saging.
- Lagyan ng latik ang ibabaw ng kalamay lansong bago ihain. Enjoy!