Looking for a new way to eat your tikoy? Try this level up tikoy version, the tikoy roll – a sweet and soft rice cake roll filled with dulce de leche and coated with crushed nuts. Discover how to make tikoy at home with this simple and quick recipe.
We all love tikoy. Instead of forever waiting on Chinese New Year for tikoy, I started to ask myself: How is tikoy made?
Tikoy is known for its mildly sweet taste and soft and chewy texture. It is best cooked if you simply crave for some nice rice cake snack. But if you crave for something sweet, we can beautify the tikoy and make it a sweet and caramel-y snack. Sweet tikoy is the question, and tikoy roll is the answer. Give this recipe a try!
HOW TO COOK TIKOY ROLLS
Making a tikoy roll will literally take you only a few simple steps. First, you make the tikoy. You might think that the ingredients used for tikoy were extravagant, since tikoys were a bit of expensive. In reality, the cheap glutinous rice flour is the top secret ingredient. Make the tikoy mixture by mixing the glutinous rice flour, sugar, salt and water. If you want colourful tikoy rolls, you can actually add some food coloring at this point. Steam this mixture until you form a nice thick mixture. Transfer this to a greased surface and flatten. During this stage, you need to act fast. The tikoy hardens a bit as it cools down.
You can use any filling and coating of your choice. Make sure your dulce de leche is prepared beforehand. Add some dulce de leche filling and roll the tikoy. Cut the rolls based on your desired length. Before you serve them, drench the tikoy rolls in crushed nuts or crushed grahams. Tikoy rolls are best eaten as a midday snack with your favorite hot chocolate or coffee. Enjoy!
Tikoy RollsCourse: Snacks
2 cups glutinous rice flour
1 cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup + 2 tablespoons water
crushed peanuts (for coating)
dulce de leche (for filling)
- For the tikoy mixture, add the glutinous rice flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl and mix well. Add some water and mix well until there are no lumps. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Grease baking pan with some oil. Arrange the pan in a steamer and pour the tikoy mixture. Let it steam for 30 to 35 minutes using medium-low heat. Cover the lid of the steamer with cloth to prevent the steaming water from dripping.
- Wrap a flat surface or tray with plastic wrap. Grease it with oil to prevent the tikoy from sticking.
- After steaming, place the cooked tikoy to the greased surface. Flatten immediately while still hot. You may use rolling pin or spatula to flatten. It is easier to shape the tikoy while still hot.
- Once flattened, put some filling. In this recipe, I used dulce de leche. Roll the tikoy into a log-shape. Cut the rolled tikoy and coat with crushed peanuts or grahams. Repeat these steps with the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve the tikoy rolls and enjoy!
Tikoy Rolls Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 2 tasa ng glutinous rice flour
- 1 tasa ng asukal
- ¼ kutsarita ng asin
- 1 kutsarita ng vanilla extract
- 1 tasa + 2 kutsara ng tubig
- durog na mani (para sa coating)
- dulce de leche (para sa filling)
- durog na grahams
- Para sa tikoy mixture, ilagay ang glutinous rice flour, asukal at asin sa isang bowl at haluing mabuti. Maglagay ng tubig at haluin hanggang mawala ang mga lumps o buo buo. Ilagay ang vanilla extract at haluin.
- Ibrush ng konting oil ang iyong baking pan at ipatong ito sa steamer. Ibuhos ang tikoy mixture sa baking pan at isteam ito ng 30 hanggang 35 minuto gamit ang katamtamang mababang apoy. Balutan ng tela ang takip ng steamer para hindi tumulo ang steaming water.
- Balutin ng plastic wrap ang isang tray o flat surface. Ibrush ito ng konting oil para hindi dumikit ang tikoy.
- Pagkatapos ma-steam ang tikoy, ilagay ito sa flat surface. I-flatten ito agad habang mainit pa. Pwede kang gumamit ng rolling pin o spatula. Mas madaling ishape ang tikoy habang mainit.
- Kapag na-flatten na ang tikoy, maglagay ng filling. Gumamit ako ng dulce de leche. I-roll ang tikoy ng pahaba at putulin ito kung gaano mo ito gusto kahaba. I-coat ang tikoy rolls ng durog na mani or grahams. Gawin ang steps na ito hanggang magamit mo na ang lahat ng ingredients.
- I-serve ang tikoy rolls at enjoy!