A delicious and wonderfully comforting dish to many Filipinos. Chicken pastel is a common Christmas dish that extrudes a warm, creamy, great tasting chicken stew with a homey taste that just brings you to the times where you could still celebrate the holidays with your family. Expect marvelous results from this fantastic Chicken Pastel with Cream Recipe.
What is a Chicken Pastel?
Chicken Pastel is a Filipino style chicken dish, highlighting the thick creamy white sauce, vegetables, and chicken. Usually in a pie form or covered with a pie crust and baked in the oven till the crust looks golden. This dish is actually a Spanish Filipino classic prepared during the holidays, parties or fiestas, birthdays, weddings and other events and celebrations. If you’re in a Christmas-y mood this dish also comes up in the list of recipes to choose from. The Chicken Pastel is prepared similar to a creamy chicken casserole actually the name ‘Pastel’ a name with Hispanic or a Portuguese origin is a term called to name a dish with a casserole baked in or with a pie crust. While the dish isn’t commonly eaten with rice, Filipino chicken pastel is a dish that usually excludes the pie crust and replaces it with a steaming while rice topped and slathered with the sauce. The Philippines has a loving relationship with rice, like most Asian countries, flour and other bread making ingredients are more closely associated with western cooking which Asian countries has slowly ingrained in each of our cultures and daily life. This though does not beat the love of rice or noodles to fill us up for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
The chicken Pastel can be considered closely related or commonly looked at as a Chicken potpie. This Filipino chicken, vegetable dish, and thick cream combo are cooked separately and mixed together on a pot to then be placed over a freshly cooked warm batch of rice. This may usually have a crust but in this simple recipe below you’ll be easily making a simple but flavorful dish that just needs 30 minutes or less to do.
How to prepare this dish?
The Chicken Pastel just need to prepare the ingredients into cubes or at least to smaller bite sized pieces. Chop the potatoes, chicken breasts, rec onions, and garlic. To start, fry the potatoes to make sure they’ll be fully cooked when added to the mix later on. Take these out after a few minutes or when it looks lightly browned. In the same pan, melt the butter, butter help give the dish it’s rich texture and flavor, sautéing the garlic and onions, with the chopped chicken breasts added after, seasonings like the salt and pepper to taste and basil leaves. If you have trouble deciding how much to add you can also add a little in this stage and a little more after we’ve added the cream and bouillon cube. The chicken will then be cooked with the aromatics and seasoning till it changed in color or slightly browned. Add the defrosted mixed vegetables or your choice of vegetables you’d like to add in the cream stew cooking them for a few minutes to soften. Pour in the cream and add back the potatoes and crush the bouillon cube in. after stirring this all together, give it a taste and add more salt, pepper of basil leaves as needed. If you like a bit of a kick or something more, add more herbs or spices. Take these out and place it on a bowl or pour over rice.
Enjoy this deliciously delectable Chicken Pastel and Cream dish served over rice, topped with piecrusts or melted cheese. Any which way, this creamy stew with chicken is that melt in your mouth, scrumptiously good that will surely satisfy your family and fried or anyone who’ll be taking a bite.
Chicken Pastel with CreamCourse: MainCuisine: Filipino
A wonderfully creamy chicken stew perfect with a cup of rice
3 medium-sized potatoes
½ kilo chicken breasts
3 tablespoons cooking oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium sized red onion (diced)
5 cloves garlic (minced)
salt, pepper, and basil leaves to taste
½ cup cooked mixed vegetables
1 carton all purpose cream
1 bouillon cube
1 cup rice (optional)
- Peel the potatoes, wash and chop them into cubes. Set aside.
- Clean the chicken breasts and slice them to cubes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan at medium heat. Place the potatoes and fry for 10 minutes. Take them of the heat and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt butter and sauté the onions. Add the garlic and cook till fragrant. Then add the chicken breasts. Season with salt, pepper and bail leaves to taste.
- Cook the chicken breasts for 15 minutes or slightly browned.
- Add the defrosted mixed vegetables and cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the all purpose cream and mix well. Add the fried potato and boullion cube. Mix well.
- Serve with 1 cup of steaming white rice.
Chicken Pastel with cream is a wonderful dish you might want to try especially in the incoming holidays. With only a number of ingredients like chicken breasts or you can also replace the with thigh to make sure it wont dry as easily, potatoes and a vegetable mix or you choice of veggies to add, all purpose cream, a bouillon cube, salt and pepper, and basil or more herbs depending on your preference. All cooked one by on in a pan or pot till everything has combined. Tasted and mixed with more spices if desired, placed in a platter on top of rice or in a bowl with premade pie crust or cheese for an edgier looking ‘pot’ pie’.
Chicken Pastel with Cream recipe (tagalog)
- 3 katamtamang laking patatas
- ½ kilo dibdib ng manok
- 3 kutsarang mantika
- 2 kutsarang mantikilya
- 1 katamtamang laking pulang onion (tinadtad)
- 5 butil ng bawang (tinadtad)
- asin, paminta, at basil leaves panlasa
- ½ tasang lutong mixed vegetables
- 1 pakete all purpose cream
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1 tasa kanin (opsyonal)
- Alisan ng balat ang mga patatas, hugasin at hiwain ng maliliit. Itabi,
- Linisin ang mga dibdib ng manok at hiwain sila ng paparisukat. Itabi.
- Initin ang mantika sa kawali na ay katamtamang init. Iprito ang mga patatas ng 10 minuto. Tanggalin sila sa init at itabi.
- Sa parehong kawali, tunawin ang mantikilya at iluto ang mga sibuyas. Isama ang bawang at lutuin hanggang bumango. Idagdag ang manok at haluan ng asin, paminta, at basil leaves.
- Luttuin ang dibdib ng manok ng 15 na minuto o hanggang may pagkakayumanggi.
- Isama ang nadefrost na mixed vegetables at lutuin ng 10 minuto.
- Ibuhos ang all purpose cream at haluin ng mabuti. Idagdag ang prinitong patatas at boullion cube. Haluin ng mabuti.
- Ihanda kasama ang 1 tasa ng mainit na kanin.