Cathedral window dessert is a colourful dessert with multi coloured gely cubes made with gulaman powder, sugar and food colour, in a creamy gelatin cake made with all purpose cream, condensed milk, and gulaman powder. This yummy kitchen recipes will show you how to cook the cathedral window in easy and simple way. If you want a dessert which can cleanse your palate and save your soul at the same time, this is the perfect treat for you!
CATHEDRAL WINDOW DESSERT
When you go to the church, you often see the children very fond of the colorful glass windows. These are what they call “cathedral windows”. This is where the concept of cathedral cakes come from.
Cathedral cakes are jelly-based cakes which are white in color with some colorful jelly cubes submerged in it. The colors used were often yellow, red, and green, which are the usual colors of actual cathedral windows. The main concept used in this cake is that a white jelly is used as the cake base and then jelly cubes of different color/s are submerged in it. With its looks, some people also call these cakes “broken glass” cakes.
If you wanna know how to make a cathedral window dessert, read the recipe below and try some today!
HOW TO COOK CATHEDRAL WINDOW DESSERT
Making cathedral window dessert is just as easy as other jelly recipes. If you have tried other jelly recipes in the past, preparations for this dessert will be too easy for you.
Basically, this dessert is made with pure jelly. To start, we need to create an unflavored jelly mixture which we will divide into three portions. These three portions will be colored using food colors. You can use whatever color you like but the usual ones are red, yellow and green. Just remember to add their colors once transferred to the containers. You cannot add the food colorings when they are firm already. When firm, cut these colored jellies into cubes. This is the easiest shape to copy the “windows” look.
Congratulations in advance since you’re already done with half of the recipe. The next thing to do is to create a creamy jelly base. This base will be the one to hold the colored jelly cubes. Remember that you must finish the dessert before this creamy jelly becomes firm.
When your cream is ready, simply put the creamy jelly and the colored jelly cubes alternatively on the molder. For this recipe, I really recommend a deep/high molder. But if you have no deep molder, a llanera can still do the work (only that your “window” is pandak HAHAHA).
The last step to do is to chill this colorful dessert before serving. Yum!
Cathedral Window Jelly DessertCourse: Desserts
2 sachet (25 g) gulaman powder (unflavored)
Red, green and yellow food colors
3/4 cup sugar (up to 1 cup if needed)
1 cup all purpose cream
1 cup condensed milk
8 cups of water
- Pour 5 cups of water in a pot. Add the sugar and the white unflavored gulaman powder. Stir until completely dissolved.
- Put the mixture into a boil while stirring. Put the heat off and transfer the mixture to 3 different containers while still hot and liquid.
- Put some drop of food color, one color (green, yellow and red) on each of the containers. Let them cool and become firm.
- When firm, cut the colored jellies into cubes. Set aside.
- In another pot, pour 3 cups of water or milk. Add a sachet of white unflavored jelly powder. Stir until fully dissolved. Put the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, pour the all purpose cream (or coconut milk) while stirring. Add the condensed milk. Stir until well blended. Let it cook using low heat until soft boiling.
- Grab and prepare your molder. Arrange the colored jelly cubes at the bottom of the molder (use different colors). Pour some of the cream mixture while still hot. Add more colored jelly cubes as you pour the mixture. Repeat these steps until you fill the molder.
- Let the dessert cool and set then chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Unmold the cathedral window jelly by flipping it over a plate. Grab a slice and enjoy!
Cathedral Window Jelly Dessert Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 2 sachet (25 g) gulaman powder (unflavored)
- Red, green and yellow food colors
- 3/4 tasa ng asukal (up to 1 cup kung kailangan)
- 1 cup all purpose cream
- 1 tasa ng condensed milk
- 8 tasa ng tubig
- Maglagay ng 5 tasa ng tubig sa isang pot. Sunod na ilagay ang asukal at unflavored gulaman powder. Haluin ito para matunaw.
- Pakuluan ang mixture hanggang kumulo. Patayin ang apoy at hatiin ito sa 3 containers habang mainit pa.
- Lagyan ng food color ang bawat container (isang green, isang yellow, isang red). Palamigin ito hanggang tumigas.
- Kapag matigas na, hatiin ang colored jellies sa cubes. Isantabi.
- Sa isa pang pot, maglagay ng 3 tasa ng tubig o gatas. Ilagay ang unflavored jelly powder. Haluin ito hanggang matunaw. Pakuluan ang mixture.
- Kapag kumukulo na, ilagay ang all purpose cream (o gata) habang hinahalo. Sunod na ilagay ang condensed milk. Haluin ng mabuti. Hayaan itong maluto hanggang kumulo ng onti.
- Kunin ang molder. Iarrange ang colored jelly cubes at ibuhos ang cream mixture habang mainit pa. Maglagay ng marami pang jelly cubes at cream mixture. Gawin ang mga steps na ito hanggang mapuno ang molder.
- Hayaang lumamig ang dessert saka ito palamigin sa ref ng 3 hours bago iserve.
- Iunmold ang cathedral window jelly at baliktarin ito sa pinggan. Kumuha ng slice at enjoy!