Chicken adobo with pineapple is made by simmering chicken thighs in a sweet and savoury sauce made with soy sauce, garlic, onion, bay leaves, pineapple syrup, pineapple chunks, vinegar, pepper and peppercorns. Chicken adobo with pineapple is a sweet variation of Filipino classic Chicken adobo, where chicken pieces are sautéed in adobe sauce made sweeter, fresher and yummier by adding pineapple juice and chunks. The unique sweetness of the pineapples will surely enliven this dish and tickle your taste buds. So make this chicken adobo with pineapple by following our recipe and you will find a great dish that can be served with steamed rice.
WHAT IS ADOBO?
Every Filipino knows what an adobo is. This term actually came from the word “Adobar” which means marinade. Just like what the root name says, adobo is first marinated before cooked. Adobo is a dish made with a meat of your choice and then marinated and then simmered to all your favorite condiments such as soy sauce and vinegar. This dish can be made with pork, beef, chicken and even fish.
Two type of adobo would be the saucy one, and the other would be the almost dried up one (usually made with pork adobo). For this recipe, the saucy one will be featured.
Video Of Chicken Adobo
CHICKEN ADOBO WITH PINEAPPLE
We all love our classic adobo. Aside from its ease of preparation, what I love most about adobo is that it is made with the simplest condiments you can regularly found in your pantry. Actually, you can make a simple adobo with just meat, vinegar and soy sauce! Among all the soy sauce based dishes, adobo is really one of the top tier ones.
As I started living alone for a while, I became a one-man team on all the house chores and all the errands I need to accomplish. For the past few days, I really got busy and was not able to prepare food for myself so I just ordered some fastfood. (I really felt super unhealthy!!). After accomplishing my checklist, I immediately reflected on all the fastfoods I have eaten from the past few days and prepare to go back to my usuall life.
I usually prepare some adobo during busy days when I only got a limited time for cooking. One best thing about adobo is that you don’t need to always to watch it cook. You can leave it while it simmer and then do other chores while waiting for it. As I prepare my meal plan for the week, I included adobo as the very first dish I’m going to cook. Since this is for myself, I added some pineapple chunks for a sweeter note.
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN ADOBO WITH PINEAPPLE
Making a chicken adobo dish is super easy once you have all the ingredients needed.
To start, marinate the chicken first will all the ingredients and seasonings. The marinade will also serve as the sauce base. In this recipe, I used canned pineapple chunks since it is much more readily available to use than preparing from fresh ones. This is best when marinated overnight but the chicken can be available after an hour if you’re in a rush.
To cook the chicken, sear the chicken first. Searing adds flavor to the dish and it helps seal the juices inside the chicken, to make sure they won’t end up dry. When the surface is already brown, add the marinade and then simmer.
Then, add the marinade. NOTE: Do not stir once you added the marinade. The marinade contains vinegar, which may have a bad aftertaste when not cooked properly. Allow the strong flavor of the vinegar to evaporate first before stirring.
The last step is adding the pineapple chunks. You can crush some of it to help the sauce become thicker and also to add pineapple flavor. This is best when served with hot steaming rice. Yum!
Chicken Adobo with PineappleCourse: Chicken Recipes
1 kilo chicken (thighs and drumstick)
½ cup soy sauce
⅓ cup vinegar
1 cup pineapple syrup (from chunks)
1 cup pineapple chunks
6 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 medium onion (chopped)
3 to 4 pieces bay leaves (dried)
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
1 cup of water (to cook the chicken)
- Wash and prepare the chicken and place them in a large bowl. Add the soy sauce, vinegar, pineapple chunk syrup and ground black pepper. Mix the ingredients well. Let it marinate for at least 1 hour or best if refrigerated overnight.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Put the chicken into the pan (reserve the marinade) and sear until brown. Flip to sear the other side. When both sides are seared, remove them from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the garlic and onions for a few minutes until light brown and aromatic. Put the seared chicken back to the pan and sear with the aromatics.
- Add the whole peppercorns, dried bay leaves and the marinade. Do not stir and allow it to simmer for 3 minutes first.
- Add around 1 cup of water and then cover the pan. Let it simmer for 30 minutes using medium heat or until the sauce is reduced. Halfway simmering, stir it to let the chicken cook evenly.
- When the sauce is reduced, add the pineapple chunks. Stir gently to incorporate them in the sauce. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken adobo with pineapples to a serving dish. Serve this with some hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Chicken Adobo with Pineapple Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 kilo ng manok (thighs at drumstick)
- ½ tasa ng toyo
- ⅓ tasa ng suka
- 1 tasa ng pineapple syrup (galing sa pineapple chunks)
- 1 tasa ng pineapple chunks
- 6 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 3 – 4 dahon ng laurel (tuyo)
- ½ kutsarita ng paminta
- 1 kutsarita ng buong paminta
- 1 tasa ng tubig (para maluto ang manok)
- Hugasan at ihanda ang mga manok at ilagay sa malaking bowl. Sunod na ilagay ang toyo, suka, sabawa ng pineapple chunks at pamintang durog. Haluin ito ng mabuti. Imarinate ito ng 1 hour or mas maganda kung overnight.
- Magpainit ng mantika. Ilagay ang manok sa kawali (isantabi ang marinade) at iprito ang mga ito hanggang maging brown. Baliktarin ang mga ito para maluto ang kabilang side. Kapag luto na, alisin ang mga ito sa kawali at isantabi.
- Sa parehong kawali, igisa ang bawang at sibuyas ng ilang minuto hanggang maging light brown. Ibalik ang mga manok at igisa kasama ang sibuyas at bawang.
- Ilagay ang mga pamintang buo, dahon ng laurel at ang marinade. Wag muna haluin agad agad. Hayaan muna ito maluto ng 3 minuto.
- Maglagay ng 1 tasa ng tubig at takpan ang kawali. Hayaan ito maluto ng 30 minuto gamit ang katamtamang apoy o hanggang umonti ang sabaw. Kalagitnaan ng pagluluto, haluin ang mga manok para maluto nang pantay.
- Kapag maunti na ang sabaw, ilagay ang pineapple chunks. Haluin ito nang dahan dahan para humalo sa sauce. Lutuin ito ng 5 pang minuto.
- Ilipat ang chicken adobo with pineapples sa serving dish at samahan ito ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!