Inutak is a Filipino sweet delicacy which consists of two layers of white and violet sweet glutinous cake topped with caramelized coconut cream. This snack is called inutak since the caramelized coconut cream on top resembles a brain or “utak”.
The first time I offered this snack to a friend, she got shocked. My friend was from another place and she had never heard of inutak. Her initial thought was that inutak was a meat dish made from brains of some animals. I laughed for a full minute before I revealed to her that inutak was a kakanin.
This Filipino delicacy is quite less known but is similar to other kakanin which were made from glutinous rice cake. It is made with 2 layer of glutinous rice mixture, a sweet white one and an ube flavoured one. It is first cooked in a stove and is finished in the oven. Some might confuse it with sapin-sapin but the inutak has this distinct top layer. This sweet and sticky rice cake is called inutak for a reason. The caramelized top of the inutak seem to resemble a brain. This makes sense as the root word for inutak is “utak” which is the Tagalog term for brain.
If you got curious of this sweet kakanin, try one now and follow the recipe below. Happy cooking!
HOW TO COOK INUTAK
To start the inutak, just mix the sugar, glutinous rice flour and coconut milk in a saucepan (without heat). Heat the pan and stir continuously. This will be your white sweet glutinous mixture. To make our inutak more colourful and appetizing, we will make an ube version of the glutinous mixture. Reserve the half of your white glutinous mixture. The half remains in the pan and will be mixed with ube flavoring and ube halaya until well-incorporated. An ube jam will also work if you have no ube halaya available. The next thing you need to do is to layer the two gorgeous glutinous mixtures in a container. Unleash the creativity in you! Inutak is usually just two layers but I know some who put a lot of effort and made a lot of layers of alternating white and purple mixtures. The very last step you need to do before you enjoy the inutak is to pour some coconut cream on the top of the inutak. Bake the inutak in the oven until dark spots appear on top. These are the caramelized cream which they say resembles a brain. If you have no oven, you can simply use a blow torch to caramelize the top. And now you’re done! Have your inutak with a cup of coffee or tea. Enjoy!
Inutak RecipeCourse: Uncategorized
1 cup glutinous rice flour
3 cups coconut milk
1 cup sugar
1 piece ube halaya
1 cup coconut cream
- In a pan, add the sugar, glutinous rice flour and coconut milk. Stir gently until the sugar and flour has been dissolved. Heat the pan and cook the mixture until thick and shiny. Stir continuously to avoid the bottom part from burning. The result would be a thick and smooth mixture. Divide it into two portions. Transfer one portion to a plate and set aside.
- Add the ube halaya into the pan and drop some ube flavoring in the glutinous mixture. Mix until the ube halaya is well-incorporated and the color of the mixture turns purple. Turn the heat off.
- Grease your llanera with oil or butter. Add a layer of the ube glutinous mixture and flatten using your hands.
- Add a layer of the white glutinous mixture and flatten once again. Set aside.
- In a pan, add some coconut cream and cook until thick. Pour and spread the thick coconut cream on top of the inutak.
- Bake the inutak in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes at 400F or until the top caramelizes.
- Let the inutak cool down for a bit before serving. Enjoy!
How to Cook Inutak (TAGALOG)
- 1 tasa ng glutinous rice flour
- 3 tasa ng gata
- 1 tasa ng asukal
- 1 piraso ng ube halaya
- ube flavoring
- 1 tasa ng coconut cream
- Ilagay ang asukal, glutinous rice flour at gata sa isang kawali. Haluin ito hanggang matunaw ang asukal at harina. Painitin ang kawali at hayaang maluto ang mixture hanggang maging malapot. Haluin ito ng tuloy-tuloy para hindi masunog. Magkakaroon ka ng sticky at malapot na glutinous mixture. Hatiin ito sa dalwang portions. Ilipat ang isang portion sa isang pinggan.
- Ilagay ang ube halaya sa kawali at lagyan ng ube flavoring ang glutinous mixture. Paghaluhaluin ang mga ito hanggang maging kulay violet na ang glutinous mixture. Patayin ang apoy.
- I-brush ng mantika o butter ang mga llanera. Maglagay ng isang layer ng ube glutinous mixture at patagin ito gamit ang mga kamay.
- Maglagay ng sunod na layer ng white glutinous mixture at ipatag ito.
- Ilagay ang coconut cream sa kawali at hayaan itong maluto hanggang maging malapot. Ilagay ang coconut cream sa ibabaw ng inutak.
- I-bake ang inutak sa isang pre-heated oven ng 20 minuto 400F hanggang magcaramelize ang ibabaw neto.
- Hayaan itong lumamig ng konti bago iserve. Enjoy!