Stir-fried beans and tofu is a healthy and savoury dish which only includes budget-friendly ingredients and will save you a lot of time with its easy preparation. You can use this as a side dish or serve it with hot steaming rice.
STIR-FRY BEANS AND TOFU
Stir-fried dishes are one of the easiest dishes ever existed. And there are no rules in stir-frying. You can stir-fry anything! It can be protein sources, vegetables, aromatics and many more. From the name itself, you just stir and fry your chosen ingredient and that’s it!
In the Filipino versions of stir-fried dishes, aromatics like onion and garlic are always the base ingredients. After that, just drop your ingredient of choice, stir it with your spatula and boom! Stir-fried. And now we introduce you to one of the easiest and tastiest stir-fried recipe.
Stir-fry mixed vegetables may be the most famous type of stir-fried dishes in the Philippines. Some of these recipes include ginisang munggo, ginisang upo, ginisang papaya, ginisang sayote and many more ginisa dishes. When cooking dishes, it is important to include both veggies and protein sources for it to be healthier. This stir-fried beans and tofu will give you a combination of soft beans and crispy tofu in savoury sauce. Continue reading this blog to find out how to make stir-fried beans and tofu.
HOW TO COOK STIR-FRY BEANS AND TOFU
In a stir-fry dish, all you need to do is.. stir-fry! This easy recipe will take just minutes of your time. One important thing to remember is that the tofu must be cooked before stir-fried with other ingredients. Tofu is so soft when raw. If directly stir-fried with other ingredients, it would just crumble into small pieces. In that case, bye tofu. Til we meet again.
Fry the tofu pieces and make them extra crispy. The next steps will invols adding all the ingredients one by one until a wonderful dish has been made. Saute your aromatics followed by your string beans. Make sure not to rush your string beans because its skin is tough and needs the right amount of cooking time. Add the oyster sauce and soy sauce for some umami goodness. Don’t forget to season with pepper. If you are for the sweet-type of stir-fried dishes, add some sugar. At this point, the sauce is very concentrated from the flavors from the oyster sauce, soy sauce and sugar. We are going to add a slurry to have a thick luscious sauce. The water you are adding to your slurry depends on how saucy you like the dish to be. Add your fried tofu and coat everything with the savoury sauce. When everything is set, transfer the stir-fried tofu and beans to a serving plate. You can enjoy it as it is or top it in some hot steaming rice!
Stir-fry Beans and Tofu
500 grams tofu
2 bunches of string beans
4 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 onion (minced)
4 cloves of garlic (minced)
ground black pepper to taste
oil for frying and sauteing
slurry (1 tablespoon cornstarch + 1/3 cup water)
- Prepare the tofu and cut it into cubes.
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the tofu pieces until the sides are golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
- Reduce the oil in the pan and sauté the onions and garlic until aromatic and light brown.
- Add the string beans and sauté for a minute.
- Add the oyster sauce, soy sauce, pepper and sugar. Stir gently and let it cook for a minute.
- Add the slurry. The water you will be adding in the slurry will depend on how saucy you like the dish to be.
- Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes until the string beans are half cooked.
- Add the fried tofu. Stir gently to coat the tofu with the sauce.
- Transfer the stir-fried beans and tofu in a serving plate. Serve with hot rice and enjoy!
How to Cook Stir-fry Beans and Tofu (TAGALOG)
- 500 grams tokwa
- 2 tali ng sitaw
- 4 kutsara ng oyster sauce
- 2 kutsara ng toyo
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 4 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- durog na paminta
- mantika (pangprito)
- slurry (1 kutsara ng cornstarch + 1/3 tasa ng tubig)
- Ihanda ang tokwa at hatiin ito sa maliliit na squares.
- Magpainit ng mantika at iprito ang mga piraso ng tokwa hanggang maging golden brown at crispy. Alisin ito sa kawali at isantabi.
- Bawasan ang mantika sa kawali at igisa ang sibuyas at bawang hanggang maging light brown.
- Ilagay ang sitaw at igisa ng ilang minute.
- Ilagay ang oyster sauce, toyo, paminta at asukal. Haluin ito at hayaang maluto ng ilang minuto.
- Ilagay ang slurry. Ang dami ng tubig na ilalagay sa slurry ay depende kung gaano ka-saucy mo gusto ang dish.
- Hayaan itong maluto ng 3 hanggang 5 minuto hanggang malapit nang maluto ang sitaw.
- Ilagay ang pritong tokwa. Haluin ito ng dahan dahan hanggang malagyan ng sauce ang bawat piraso ng tokwa.
- Ilipat ang stir-fried beans at tofu sa isang serving plate. Iserve ito kasama ang mainit na kanin at enjoy!