Have you tried the vegan vegetable balls? It looks like and tastes like a meatball, but it’s made of vegetables, which is why it’s called a veggie ball. They’re so delicious and tasteful, just like your favorite meatball, but they’re a healthier one. It’s a good way for kids to eat vegetables. A super tasty vegetable ball that can be dipped in a sweet and sour sauce or a mayo ketchup or just simply a tomato ketchup. It can be used as an alternative for your pasta meatballs, such as spaghetti, to make it more vegan and healthier or flatten it to make a burger patty instead of shape it as a ball.
WHAT IT IS VEGGIE BALLS?
This fried vegetable ball or veggie ball is an ever-popular starter or main dish commonly found in the Philippines. It is made of a wide variety of vegetables from potatoes and carrots. Deep-frying the veggie ball mixture gives the fried vegetable balls a tastefully crunchy top layer, which slowly gives way to the succulent and spicy fillings that you bite into. Relish the veggie balls hot and fresh, with the sweet and sour sauce or the mayo ketchup or the tomato ketchup. These veggie balls are also fun to eat with pasta like spaghetti or masala sauce, or to make it as a burger patty. It’s great with rice, too. This recipe is healthier than the traditional meatballs.
HOW TO COOK VEGGIE BALLS
With this recipe, we needed potatoes, carrots, spring onions, onions, garlic, paprika, cornstarch, deep frying oil, salt and pepper to taste. You may also add some chilies, capsicum, beans and peas or any of your favorite vegetables. Then, we need to peel off the skin of the potatoes, cut it into cubes and soak it in a bowl of water. This will help you change the color of your potatoes. Boil the water in a saucepan with 1 teaspoon of salt when soaking. Water is expected to be enough to cover the potatoes. Add the potatoes once the water has boiled. Do not include the water used for soaking potatoes.
Cook the potatoes until soft and tender. To find out if the potatoes are done, stick a fork on your potatoes. When soft and tender, remove or drain the water and place the potatoes in a plate or bowl. Mash the potatoes with a fork or with a pastry blender. Mash it well. Add the grated carrots, the chopped spring onions, the minced onions, the garlic, the salt and pepper and paprika. You may exclude praprika. Mix well the ingredients together. Add the cornstarch and mix well. Using your hands or with a hand gloves to make a ball. Sizes are going to be depending on you.
After the ball is shaped, freeze the balls for at least 15 minutes. In this process, the ball will help keep its shape when it’s frying. In a deep frying pan, heat oil. The amount of oil is just enough for deep frying then deep fry the veggie balls . Make sure not to overcrowd your pan as it can alter and lower the temperature of your oil, which may result in uneven cooking, and your balls may absorb more oil and become more oily.
Fry the balls for at least 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. The balls will float on top of the oil once it’s cooked. When cooked, remove the balls from the oil and put them in a piece of paper towel to help absorb the excess oil. Let it warm for a while and serve the veggie balls with a sweet and sour sauce or a mayo ketchup sauce or just a tomato ketchup or any sauce you’d like to dip in. Enjoy it!
2 medium potatoes
1/2 cup carrots (grated)
1/2 cup spring onions (chopped)
1 piece onion (minced)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
salt & pepper to taste
3 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
oil for deep-frying
- Peel off the skin of the potatoes and cut it to dice. Soak the potatoes in a bowl of tap water.
- In a casserole, boil a water just enough to cover the diced potatoes and add the salt. Put the diced potatoes to the boiling water then cover the pan.
- Cook the potatoes until soft and tender. Poke a fork onto your potatoes to identify if it is already soft and tender and drain the water. Mash well the potatoes with your fork or pastry blender.
- In a bowl, combine mashed potato, grated carrots, chopped spring onions, and minced garlic. Mix the ingredients well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. You can add paprika to add a little spicy taste. Add cornstarch and mix until well combined.
- Using your hand or wear a hand gloves, form a ball then freeze it for 15 minutes. This will help hold its shape when frying.
- In a frying a pan, heat the oil and fry the balls for at least 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once it is cook, place the veggie balls in a plate with paper towel. This will help absorb the excess oil.
- You may deep it in a sweet and sour sauce or ketchup. Enjoy!
- Soaking your peeled potatoes prevent from changing the color into brown color of your potatoes.
- When deep frying, do not overload the pan as this might lower the heat temperature of your oil and may lead to uneven cooking and the veggie balls become too oily.
- Adding some masala sauce is also best paired with this recipe.
- You may add more vegetables like beans, peas, capsicum and some chilies.