Lumpianada is a combination of Lumpia and Empanada. In cooking empanada, one of the harder part is making the dough. But in Lumpianada, instead of kneading a dough, I used lumpia wrapper. With this, you can enjoy the taste of empanada without the hassle of making the dough.
Some of the ingredients I used are optional. You may skip some of them or alternate them with what’s available. Putting a filling in the middle is optional as well but I must say that they add flavor and make this Lumpianada even tastier. I also included the recipe for the dipping sauce.
How to Cook Lumpianada
Lumpianada RecipeCourse: Filipino Recipes, Vegetable Recipes
1/2 kilo ground chicken (or pork)
1 onion (minced)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1/2 cup carrot
1/2 cup sweet potatoes
1/2 cup potato
1/2 cup green beans
1 pc. chicken broth cube
salt & pepper to taste
1 tablespoon oyster sauce (optional)
- FILLING (OPTIONAL)
- Heat oil in a pan. Sauté’ onion and garlic until aromatic . Add the ground chicken and sauté’ until it changes color.
- When the chicken is no longer pink, add the potatoes, carrot, sweet potato and chicken broth cube. Saute’ for a minute until well-combined. Cover and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes (low heat).
- After 5 minutes (when the veggies are tender), add the green beans then season with salt and pepper to taste. Add oyster sauce. Give it another stir. Then cover and simmer for a few minutes until veggies are cooked.
- Once the veggies are cooked, remove from heat and let it cool completely.
- WRAPPING: Lay a lumpia wrapper in a flat surface. Put some sautéed veggies. Add the filling in the center. I added some cheese and hard boiled eggs but this is optional. Roll from the end and wrap. Seal the ends by brushing some water or egg whites. Make sure that there’s no holes in it.
- Deep fry the lumpianadas in hot oil until golden brown. Put in a strainer or wire rack to remove excess oil and to keep the wrapper crunchy.
Read down below for sauce recipe…
How to Cook the Sauce
2 cups water
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 piece beef broth cube
1/4 cup peanut (ground) (or peanut butter)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
- In a pot, combine water, brown sugar, soy sauce, beef broth cube and cornstarch. Stir until the powder is completely dissolved. Turn on the heat and let it boil.
- When the sauce starts to boil, add the chopped peanuts (you may use or add peanut butter). Stir well. Then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for around 5 minutes or until the sauce becomes thickened. Remove from heat and enjoy with lumpianada!