Tusok-tusok without fishball sauce is like Romeo without his Juliet. Tusok-tusok is not the tusok-tusok we know without the sweet and spicy fishball sauce. If you want to make your own fishball sauce, you are at the right page. Here, I am going to share how I make my homemade fishball sauce!
Who doesn’t like to fill their cups with fishball sauce when we buy our favorite tusok-tusok from manong? Fishball sauce is a sweet and salty sauce with a little bit of spiciness which partners our favorite fried afternoon snacks like fishballs, kikiams, squidballs and even kwek-kwek. Aside from tusok-tusok, this sauce also goes well with other fried snacks and dishes.
So now that we are stuck in our homes, knowing how to make homemade fishball sauce will be a life saver if you really are a tusok-tusok fannatic. Read this very easy recipe for our classic sweet and spicy fishball sauce.
This recipe is a perfect partner for any streetfood snacks. Be it kwek-kwek, kikiam, veggieballs or squidballs, this recipe will definitely spice up your streetfood experience!
HOW TO COOK FISHBALL SAUCE
Fishball sauce is really easy and extremely fast to prepare. Just blink, and then boom! It’s done. It will only cost you 5 to 7 minutes of your life. You are basically just gonna mix all the ingredients into a saucepan, boil the mixture and stir until it thickens. And voila! You have unli fishball sauce!
Some of the main ingredients for this recipe is soy sauce, sugar and garlic. This is basically the base ingredients of this sauce recipe. To make the sauce a little bit thicker, slurry is used. It is a combination of cornstarch and water. You can use all-purpose flour if cornstarch is unavailable or you can use equal part of both for best consistency. Another thickening agent that you can use is cassava flour.
2 cups water
½ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 small onion, minced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons cornstarch
salt and pepper to taste
chillies (siling labuyo)
- In a saucepan, add the water, soy sauce, brown sugar, minced onions, minced garlic and cornstarch. Mix the ingredients until well-combined.
- Boil the mixture for a few minutes. When the mixture starts to boil, stir continuously to avoid lumps. Continue cooking until the sauce thickens.
- Add the chopped chilies. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fry the fishballs, kikiam and any tusok-tusok you like. Dip in our homemade fishball sauce and enjoy!
- If cornstarch is not available, you can use all-purpose flour instead.
- The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools down.
Paano Magluto ng Fishball Sauce
- 2 tasa ng tubig
- ½ tasa ng asukal na pula
- 2 kutsarang toyo
- 1 pirasong maliit na sibuyas (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 4 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 2 kutsarang cornstarch
- asin at paminta
- siling labuyo (hiniwa)
- Ilagay ang tubig, toyo, asukal na pula, sibuyas, bawang at cornstarch sa isang kaldero. Haluin ang mga ito ng mabuti.
- Pakuluan ang mixture ng ilang minuto. Kapag nagsisimula nang kumulo, haluin ito para hindi magkaroon ng maliliit na lumps.
- Ilagay ang sili. Budburan ng asin at paminta.
- Iprito ang fishballs, kikiam at iba pang tusok-tusok. Isawsaw sa fishball sauce. Enjoy!