This Chicken Potato Salad is made by mixing boiled chicken, baby potatoes, carrots and pineapple titbits in a dressing sauce made of mayonnaise, all propose cream, grated cheese, pepper, onion, picked relish, condensed milk, salt, onion and parsley. This easy Filipino Chicken Potato Salad recipe, loaded with flavours is great for any party or occasion, easy to whip up and tastes great, check out the Chicken Potato Salad recipe below and try it out yourself! Switch up from the usual rice side dish and upgrade to a nice potato salad for the meal time.
How was the potato salad invented?
The potato salad is a side dish composed of boiled potatoes, and other ingredients. Believed to have originated from Germany spreading through Europe and European colonies and later on Asia. Its said that the American potato salad originated from German and European immigrants who came to the United States in the 19thcentury. There are now a number of ways the potato salad is prepared. From the American potato salad, which are served cold, or in room temperature, often including mayonnaise, sour cream or yogurt, with vegetables like celery and onions and herbs added into the mix. The Japanese potato salad which is called ‘potesara’ made of mashed or boiled potatoes, some onions, carrots, cucumber and boiled eggs, using ham as their choice of meat, and Kewpie mayonnaise a favored mayo brand in Japan, its creamy with a bit on the sweeter side, rice vinegar, and mustard. The potato salad from Japan is popular around the world. But truly each country or even each household creates their own version of the potato salad that suits their lifestyle and flavor preferences.
Why try this Filipino Chicken Potato Salad recipe?
This Filipino Chicken Potato salad is simple and easy to make, it can be eaten chilled so its easy to munch on when you need something quick and ready to go. All you need are chicken breasts or chicken thighs, if you wan it juicier, seasoned with salt, boiled in water for a bit, cooking this till it changes in color. Take it off the heat and cool down to room temperature before shredding them to pieces to make it easier to eat, you can also chop this to bit sized pieces if you’d like. The leftover liquids left in the pan also acts as a simple chicken broth that will be used to boil the baby potatoes and carrot after you take the chicken out. Boiling it in the same water gives the baby potatoes and carrots more flavor and helps with combining the items together taste wise. These are cooked till tender, strained and taken off the pan, placing the potatoes on iced water. This helps makes it easier to peel off as the hot potatoes are chocked in the cold water, the carrots peeled and chopped to bites. Once the baby potatoes have cooled, peel the baby potatoes then set them aside. Prepare the salad dressing, it’s a simple mix match of all purpose cream, mayonnaise for that extra creaminess but also add to the savory flavor, condensed milk for a little sweetness, grated cheese that gives it a nice salty but sharp taste that can contrast with the sweetness, some salt, pepper and picked relish to add a bite and little crunch to the dressing. The pineapples are strained and everything from the chicken, potatoes, carrots, pineapples, dressing, and maybe some onions to add to the crunch are mixed together, and are topped with some parsley for some color.
This colorful and easy filling dish is the perfect summer dish especially when you just want to have picnic, sit out and relax over the grass, enjoy the sunlight.
Chicken Potato SaladCourse: Sides, SnacksCuisine: Filipino
A creamy delicious alternative to you plain rice
250g chicken breast
600 grams baby potatoes
1 medium carrot
61g pineapple (drained)
125ml all purpose cream
3 tablespoon condensed milk
½ cup grated cheese
½ teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon picked relish
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon parsley (optional)
1 small white onion (minced, optional)
- In a pan at medium heat, boil the chicken breasts. Add salt and flip once one-side changes in color. Cover and boil for 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place in the cleaned potatoes in the same pan. Cover and boil for 20 minutes. In the 10 minutes mark, add the carrot. After take everything off the pan. Soaking the potatoes in a bowl with cold water and ice. Set aside to cool.
- To prepare the salad, shred the chicken into strips, peel off the carrot skin and slice them into small cubes, peel off the potato skins and set aside, drain the pineapple.
- For the dressing; place the mayonnaise into a bowl, mix in all purpose cream, condensed milk, pickled relish, and ground pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients, the potatoes, carrots, chicken, pineapple, salad dressing, and grated cheese. Add white onions and parsley if you like.
- Taste and add more mayo if needed. Chill for 1 – 3 hours or overnight before serving.
Hate cooking in the kitchen especially in the hot summer weather? Then dish might be for you. A filling colorful dish you can even replace the chicken with ham or any type of meat you prefer if you don’t want to boil some chicken. Perfect for picnics and barbeques to contrast the summer heat and savory meats you’ll be eating. A great source of protein and carbohydrates, try making this dish on your next potluck or get together, or replace your usual rice with this creamy potato salad, and we’re sure this simple dish will still make a splash!
Chicken Potato Salad recipe (tagalog)
- 250g dibdib ng manok
- 600g baby potatoes
- 1 katamtamang laking karot
- 61g pinya (salain)
- 200ml mayonnaise
- 125ml all purpose cream
- 3 kutsarang condensed milk
- ½ tasa ginadgad na keso
- ½ kutsaritang paminta
- 1 kutsaritang picked relish
- 1 kutsaritang asin
- 1 kutsaritang parsley (opsyonal)
- 1 maliit na puting sibuyas (tinadtad, opyonal)
- Sa kawali na may katamtamang init, pakuluin ang mga dibdibng manok. Lagyan ng asin at baliktarin pang nagiba ng kulay ang isang gilid. Takpan at pakuluin ng 20 minuto. Itabi para palamigin.
- Sa parehong kawali, Ilagay ang mga lininis na patatas at pakuluin ang mga ito ng 20 minuto. Sa pang 10 minuto, isama ang karot. Pagkatapos tanggalin ang mga ito. ilagay sa malamig na tubog na may yelo ang mga patatas. Itabi.
- Para handain ang saad, himayin ang mga manok, balatan ang karot at hiwain sa maililiit, balatan ang mga patatas at itabi, salain ang pinya.
- Para sa dressing; sa mangkok, haluin ang mayonnaise, all purpose cream, condensed milk, pickled relish, at paminta.
- Haluin ang lath ng ito, ang mga patatas, karot, manok, pinya, salad dressing, at keso. Lagyan ng sibuyas at parsley kung gusto.
- Tikman at lagyan ng mayo kung kulang. Palamigin sa ref ng 1-3 na oras o magdamag bago ihanda.