Who wouldn’t want a sip of the “quarantine drink”? Dalgona coffee goes on top of the trend when it comes to coffee as it is very delicious-looking and convenient to make. You might be surprised that you are whisking one for yourself later.
What is a Dalgona Coffee?
Dalgona coffee wasn’t considered as the most popular beverage this time of pandemic for no reason. In fact, it is also called “the quarantine drink”. Why? Dalgona coffee is very easy to make, you just got to have some ingredients such as coffee, sugar, hot water, and extra whisking energy.
It is a DIY beverage started from South Korea, that is invented due to strict social distancing orders. In Korea, dalgona refers to a sugar sweet which is the actual inspiration of taste and appearance of Dalgona coffee.
Honestly, due to the extensive public craze, I succumb to finally making myself a Dalgona drink. It was the time when all my friends on Instagram post their Dalgona coffee and it is posted on each of their public stories. The taste of the first one I made was surely great for a beginner, I must say, since I had compared it to my sister’s. The frothly coffee on top of the milk was very fun to make. It tasted so good and it should be, because it’s a hardwork of my 10-minute whisk!
How to make a Dalgona coffee?
Making this type of coffee requires a very few ingredients. It is mainly coffee, milk, sugar, and hot/cold water. But it is not a like a regular coffee wherein every ingredient is just mixed with one another completely. You might find making a regular espresso boring after you have made your quarantine drink with effort.
To begin, you need to have a bowl and a whisk stirrer or an electric hand mixer. Put the coffee and sugar into the hot water in the container and let it dissolve. The ratio should be following 1:1:1.
Now, mix all the ingredients in the bowl. Whisk vigorously using a whisk or you can opt to use an electric hand mixer for easier and faster consistency results. If you are whisking manually, make sure to do so in a nonstop manner for at least 10 minutes to achieve the perfect consistency.
Pour the milk into a glass leaving a space on top for the foamy coffee to be added later on. You can choose from cold to hot temperature of milk. Carefully set the whisked coffee onto the top of milk. Top your drink with either powdered coffee or cocoa, crumbled biscuits or even honey!
2 tablespoon instant coffee powder or granules
2 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon hot water
Optional toppings (powdered coffee/cocoa,crumbled biscuits, honey)
1 cup fresh milk
- Fresh milk substitute
3-4 tbs powdered milk
1 cup warm water
- In a mixing bowl, combine the powdered/granuled coffee, sugar, and hot water following a ratio of 1:1:1.
- Whisk vigorously or use an electric hand mixer for easier and faster mixing of the ingredients. For 10 minutes nonstop whisk, the consistency of the mixture should be perfectly stiff and foamy.
- Get a fresh milk. If not available, you can substitute by stirring 3-4 tablespoons of powdered milk into 1 cup warm water. Dissolve completely.
- Finally, pour the fresh milk or the substituted milk mixture into a glass. Make sure to leave a space for the frothy coffee to be settled on the top. Sprinkle with tiny bits of coffee for a greater presentation. Sip and enjoy!
- 1:1:1 Ratio means that if you’re going to use 3 tablespoon coffee, you will need 3 tablespoon of sugar and hot water. So if you are going to make more servings, adjust the ingredients following the 1:1:1 ratio.
- Whisking using manual whisk will take sometime until you get the perfect consistency for the dalgona coffee. To save some time, you can use electric mixer if available.