Chicken caldereta for the chicken lovers. Try this chicken version of your favorite classic caldereta for a healthier and newer caldereta experience! The chicken caldereta is a tomato-based stew dish made with chunks of lovely chicken braised in a rich and flavorful liquid made of tomatoes, added with some carrots and potatoes.
Caldereta is one of the classic Filipino tomato-based stew dishes. This dish can be found in all Filipino cookbooks and is always a big hit to almost all occasions and celebrations. It is made up of a meat of choice, bell peppers, carrots and potatoes. One defining characteristic of caldereta is the use of mashed chicken liver or liver spread. It is traditionally made with goat meat but a lot of modern versions uses pork and chicken.
The chicken caldereta version follows all ingredients of the classic caldereta. The only difference is that it uses a healthier meat alternative. It is also best for the chicken lovers and those who do not eat pork that much. Chicken is as hearty and tasty when used in caldereta. If you want to try this chicken version of caldereta, continue reading the blog below.
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN CALDERETA
Chicken caldereta is prepared just like the classic pork and beef caldereta but of course, healthier with less fat content. To start, fry the potatoes and carrots separately until half-cooked. Next, sauté the chicken with the aromatics and add tomato paste and water. Stir well until you form a nice broth. Let the chicken simmer for a while to make it tender and let the rich tomato flavor seep in the chicken. Add the rest of the ingredients including the half-cooked carrots and potatoes and stir well. Make sure to submerge them to cook fully. Let it simmer until the veggies are cooked and the chicken are tender. If you want a super tender and soft chicken, simmering time may be around 15-20 minutes.
If you want your caldereta creamy, you may add some grated cheese. If you want some hint of spice, add some chopped red chillies. In this recipe, I added them both. Y-U-M-M-Y! The last to add are the bell peppers, since they are very fast to cook. Have a last simmer until everything is set. Transfer the cheesy and spicy chicken caldereta in a serving plate and serve with a lot of hot steaming rice. Totally to the next level yumminess!
Chicken CalderetaCourse: Chicken Recipes
1 kilo chicken (cut into pieces)
1 medium onion (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
2 medium potatoes (cut into wedges)
1 small carrot (cut into wedges)
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup water
1 small can liver spread
salt and pepper to taste
2 to 3 pieces chilli (labuyo)
1 medium green bellpepper
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
1/2 cup cheese
oil for sauteing
- Heat some oil in a pan. Fry the potatoes until half-cooked and light brown. Set aside.
- Add the carrots and fry until half-cooked. Set aside.
- Sauté the onions and garlic until aromatic and light brown. Add the chicken pieces and sauté with the aromatics. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomato paste and stir gently until well-blended.
- Add enough water to cover the chicken. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes using medium heat.
- Add the liver spread and tomato sauce. Stir well until combined.
- Add the soy sauce, fried carrots and potatoes. Stir until the veggies are submerged in the liquid. Let it simmer using medium-low heat until the veggies are fully-cooked.
- Do a taste test and adjust the taste using sugar.
- You may add some cheese for creaminess and chillies for some kick. Add the bell peppers and stir well.
- Let it cook for a few more minutes and the chicken caldereta is ready.
- Transfer the chicken caldereta to a serving plate and serve with hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Chicken Caldereta Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 kilo manok (hiniwa sa serving pieces)
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 4 butil ng bawang (hiniwa)
- 2 patatas (hiniwa ng wedges)
- 1 maliit na carrot (hiniwa ng wedges)
- 1/2 tasa ng tomato sauce
- 2 kutsara ng tomato paste
- 1 tasa ng tubig
- 1 maliit na lata ng liver spread
- asin at paminta
- 2 – 3 piraso ng siling labuyo
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 kutsara ng asukal (optional)
- 1/2 tasa ng cheese
- mantika (pang-gisa)
- Magpainit ng mantika. Iprito ng bahagya ang mga patatas hanggang maging light brown. Isantabi.
- Iprito ng bahagya ang mga carrots. Isantabi.
- Igisa ang sibuyas at bawang hanggang maging light brown. Ilagay ang mga piraso ng manok at igisa ng ilang minuto. Budburan ng asin at paminta.
- Ilagay ang tomato paste at haluin ng mabuti hanggang malagyan ang bawat piraso ng manok.
- Maglagay ng tamang dami ng tubig para matakpan ang manok. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto ng 15 – 20 minuto gamit ang katamtamang apoy.
- Ilagay ang liver spread at tomato sauce. Haluin ito ng mabuti.
- Ilagay ang toyo at ang mga pinritong carrots at patatas. Ilubog ang mga gulay sa sauce. Hayaan itong maluto gamit ang katamtamang-mababang apoy hanggang maluto ang mga gulay.
- Tikman ang sauce at iadjust ang lasa gamit ang asukal.
- Pwede mong lagyan ng cheese para maging creamy at ng sili para medyo umanghang. Ilagay ang bell peppers at haluin ng mabuti.
- Hayaan itong maluto ng ilan pang minuto at ready ang iyong chicken caldereta.
- Ilipat ang chicken caldereta sa isang serving plate at ihain kasama ang mainit na kanin. Enjoy!