Tinola, an easy Filipino soup made with chicken, sayote, malunggay leaves cooked a savoury broth flavoured with ginger, onion, garlic, pepper, fish sauce, chicken broth cube and best comes with hot steaming rice and some fish sauce on the side.
“Chicken Tinola ni Lola”. This is how may be a lot of us remember with the dish, chicken tinola. Tinola is one of the classic soup dishes in our country. Aside from having just a light, simple and refreshing taste, the tinola is also popular due to its ease of preparation. It also involves simple ingredients which can be obtained from your backyard. The vision I always have when eating tinola is a peaceful, quiet backyard with fresh air and some birds chirping. Maybe that’s the power of chicken tinola. This soupy dish is best eaten during rainy season and even on a simple lunch.
If you wanna have a sense of peace with good food, try this recipe today.
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN TINOLA
Chicken tinola is a one-pot light and simple dish. Here is an easy to follow chicken tinola recipe.
Start with sautéing the aromatics and the chicken. This will enhance the chicken flavor of the dish. Add the rice water to serve as the soup of the dish. Let the chicken flavor infuse with the broth before adding the sayote and other seasonings. Cook the sayote for a few minutes and then add the leaves. At this point, you are nearly done. Just let the leaves wilt and your tinola is ready to be served. Serve with hot steaming rice and enjoy!
Chicken TinolaCourse: Chicken Recipes
1 kilo chicken (cut into serving pieces)
3 pieces sayote (or papaya)
malunggay leaves (or sili / ampalaya)
2 thumb-sized ginger (chopped)
1 medium-sized onion (chopped)
4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
pepper to taste
fish sauce to taste
1 piece chicken broth cube
rice water or plain water
- Prepare the chicken and cut into serving pieces.
- Heat some oil in pot. Sauté the ginger, onion and garlic. Add the chicken pieces and sauté until light brown.
- Add enough rice water to cover the chicken and for the soup. Cover the pan and let it simmer until the chicken pieces are tender.
- When the chicken is cooked, add the sayote, chicken broth cube, pepper and fish sauce. Let it simmer for 5 minutes or until the sayote is cooked.
- Add the malunggay leaves and let it cook for a minute to wilt. Turn the heat off.
- Transfer the chicken tinola in a serving bowl and serve with a bowl of hot steaming rice! Enjoy!
Chicken Tinola Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 kilo manok (hiniwa ng serving pieces)
- 3 piraso ng sayote o papaya
- dahon ng malunggay/ sili/ ampalaya
- 2 thumb-sized luya (hiniwa)
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 4 butil ng bawang (hiniwa)
- 1 piraso ng chicken broth cube
- rice water o plain water
- Ihanda ang manok at hatiin ng maliliit na piraso.
- Magpainit ng mantika. Igisa ang luya, sibuyas at bawang. Ilagay ang mga piraso ng manok at igisa hanggang maging light brown.
- Maglagay ng tamang dami ng rice water para masabawan ang manok. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto hanggang lumambot ang mga manok.
- Kapag luto na ang manok, ilagay ang sayote, chicken broth cube, paminta at patis. Hayaan itong maluto ng 5 minuto o hanggang luto na ang sayote.
- Ilagay ang mga dahon ng malunggay at hayaan itong maluto ng 1 minuto. Patayin ang apoy.
- Ilipat ang tinola sa isang serving bowl at ihain kasama ang mainit na kanin. Enjoy!