Soy Sauce Chicken is a Filipino chicken dish, made by whole chicken is stuffed with leeks and marinated with sugar, soy sauce, oyster sauce, Chinese wine, onion, garlic, ginger, calamansi juice, peppercorns, bay leaves and cinnamon bark. It is then cooked in rice cooker in oil. This yummy kitchen Soy Sauce Chicken recipe guide you to make the famous Chinese soy sauce chicken cooked using a regular rice cooker.
As the name suggests, a rice cooker cooks rice. It is a small equipment especially made to make cooking rice more convenient and easier. Even though we have our “finger measurement” when it comes to the liquid and rice ratio, the rice cooker provides a cup and measurement lines which makes everything much easier.
Another name for this special equipment is rice steamer. Most rice cookers come with mini steamers on top designed for steaming mantou, buns, dumplings, etc. They come in different sizes, from small to restaurant-type large, depending on how many cups of rice you want to cook.
This special equipment will be the highlight of this featured recipe. Aside from cooking rice, this blog will show you other ways on how to use a rice cooker efficiently.
SOY SAUCE CHICKEN IN RICE COOKER
As an Asian, it is a shame not to have a rice cooker in the home (although it is not really required). What I love about rice cooker is that it is automated. All rice cookers has a “cook rice” and “keep warm” options which totally does the job for you.
I have been using rice cooker ever since I started learning how to use it as a child. But it was during my college years when I started to explore other ways on how to use it. Since my dorm only allowed electric cookers, the dishes I can cook are very limited. My adventure with the rice cooker started when I tried frying some hotdogs in it. (It was a success!) The next thing I know I am preparing other fried dishes. And then, some stews. I can say that the rice cooker really helped me enjoy my meals during my dorm days.
And now that I am living in my own home with no restrictions on cookers, I have been cooking all my dishes using my stove. And the thing happened, my stove gas ran out at night. My eyes gleamed as I look onto my rice cooker, knowing that I will revive my college cookery during that time. I continued with my soy sauce chicken using the rice cooker, just like the old times.
You can do any recipe in a rice cooker if you just believe in it. If you wanna know how I made my soy sauce chicken in rice cooker, read and follow the steps below.
HOW TO COOK SOY SAUCE CHICKEN IN RICE COOKER
Making soy sauce chicken in a rice cooker is much simpler since the cooking is automated. You also don’t need to worry about the temperature since it is constant.
Start by preparing the chicken and stuff the the leeks in it. Don’t forget to tie the legs just so that the stuffing wont go out during the cooking process. For the marinade, simply combine the rest of the ingredients and pour it into a ziplock with the chicken. Allow the chicken to marinate first before cooking.
Turn your rice cooker on and lets start the fun. Start by searing the chicken on all sides just to crisp the skin out and to seal its juices. Then, pour the marinade and allow it to cook fully.
Cooking the whole chicken might take a while. The rice cooker is actually more efficient since heat comes in all sides of the interior pan. In case your rice cooker switches to the “keep warm” option, simply switch it back to “cook rice”. The marinade won’t cover the whole chicken so remember to flip them from time to time.
When cooking a whole chicken, it is best to use a kitchen thermometer, stick it up in a lean part of the chicken and check if the temperature indicates that the chicken was cooked through. If none, let us simply trust our gut feel. HAHAHA.
Chop the chicken and serve it with some hot steaming rice (also from another rice cooker HAHA) Enjoy!
Soy Sauce Chicken in Rice CookerCourse: Uncategorized
1 kilo whole chicken
Bunch of leek
1 onion (sliced)
8 cloves of garlic
2 pcs bay leaves
1 thumb ginger (sliced)
1 tablespoon peppercorns
1 cinnamon bark
1 tablespoon calamansi juice
¼ cup brown sugar
1 cup water
30 grams oyster sauce
3 tablespoons chinese twine
- Wash and prepare the whole chicken. Stuff it with a bunch of leeks and then tie the legs with a kitchen twine.
- Put the chicken inside a zip lock bag.
- For the marinade, combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, oyster sauce, chinese wine, sliced onions, garlic, ginger, calamansi juice, peppercorns, bay leaves and cinnamon bark. Stir until well mixed.
- Pour all the marinade into the zip lock with the chicken. Seal the bag tightly. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Prepare the rice cooker and heat some oil. Sear the chicken on all sides. After searing, pour the marinade. Add a cup of water. Cover the rice cooker and let it cook for 50 minutes up to 1 hour (turn the chicken every 15 minutes).
- After an hour, chop the chicken into serving pieces and then transfer to a serving dish. Serve and enjoy this together with hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Soy Sauce Chicken in Rice Cooker Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 kilo buong manok
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 8 butil ng bawang
- 2 piraso dahon ng laurel
- 1 luya (hiniwa)
- 1 kutsara ng buong paminta
- 1 cinnamon bark
- 1 kutsara ng calamansi juice
- ¼ tasa ng asukal na pula
- 1 tasa ng tubig
- 30 grams oyster sauce
- 3 kutsara ng chinese twine
- Hugasan at ihanda ang buong manok. Lagyan ito ng maraming leeks sa loob saka talian ang legs nito.
- Ilagay ang manok sa zip lock bag.
- Para sa marinade, paghaluin ang asukal na pula, toyo, oyster sauce, chinese wine, sibuyas, bawang, luya, calamansi juice, buong paminta, dahon ng laurel, at cinnamon bark. Haluin ng mabuti.
- Ibuhos ang marinade sa zip lock bag na may manok. Sarahan ito ng mabuti. Imarinate ang manok ng 6 oras o overnight.
- Ihanda ang rice cooker at magpainit ng mantika. Lutuin ang manok hanggang maging brown ang lahat ng sides. Takpan ang rice cooker at hayaan ito maluto ng 50 minutes hanggang 1 hour (baliktarin ang manok kada 15 minutes).
- Pagkatapos ng 1 oras, alisin ang manok sa rice cooker at hiwain sa serving pieces. Ilipat ito sa serving dish at iserve kasama ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!