With the medley of colors and flavors from the various vegetables and beef, this dish will surely be a fulfilling one especially when partnered with some hot steaming rice. With the bits of meat and veggies coated with tomato sauce, enjoy the savoury and hearty dish by making some picadillo today in just 4 easy steps! Very easy to prepare and definitely worth preparing.
As part of my rice topper series, picadillo is an another favorite of mine. What I really love about this dish is it is a medley of my favorite ingredients. When you look at this dish closely, it is already a complete one. It has the grounnd meat for protein source, carrots, olives and raisins as vegetable source and potatoes for carbohydrate source. But of course it is not balanced, so it is still best partnered with hot steaming rice.
When one asks “Anong ulam nyo?” and the other answered “Giniling”, then it is more likely a picadillo dish. Some versions of this dish, especially those offered at karinderyas, do not include raisins and olives on them.
Picadillo is actually a traditional dish among the Latin parts of America and the Philippines. Its name came from the word “picar” which means “to mince”. With that, a distinguishing feature of the picadillo is that it is made with ground meat and finely chopped vegetables (carrots, potatoes). With this feature, giniling is one of the most convenient ground meat dish and also one of my favorite rice toppers.
I usually prepare picadillo when I have some bread at home which I really need to consume immediately (because they will be expired soon hahaha). Aside from being a rice topper, I also use my picadillo as a palaman in my bread. Sometimes I eat them simply by dipping the bread into the picadillo or spreading some over the bread. Most of the time, when I make some homemade pizza, I use the picadillo as the protein of my pizza and add a lot of cheese on them (super yummy!! must try!!). Another partner I also use my picadillo with is pasta, where the picadillo is the complete spag sauce. Instant spaghetti!
Whether for rice, bread of pasta, what I really love about the picadillo as a dish is its ease of preparation. Of course it would involve a little chopping, but most of the time, it is simply sauteing. Not one drop of sweat will fall from you. If you get excited in making a picadillo dish after reading this article, you may continue reading the actual steps below. Happy cooking!
HOW TO COOK PICADILLO
As one of the most famous rice topper I know, picadillo is also one of the easiest recipes you can make with ground beef.
Start by preparing and chopping all your ingredients. Then, heat a little oil in a pan, just enough to saute the aromatics. Next, add the ground beef and saute. Please note that a lot of oil will be rendered as the ground beef cooks, so really be careful of pouring oil for sauteing.
Next, add the chopped potatoes and let it cook for around 7 minutes. Since there are a lot of oil rendered at this point, the potatoes will cook using the natural oil from the beef. Some picadillo recipes, fry the potatoes first before adding it into the dish. You can also do it if you want to make sure that the potatoes will be cooked by the end of the cooking time.
When the potatoes are cooked, you can opt to discard some of the oil if you feel that there are too much of it. Simply scoop out some before proceeding with the next step.
The last thing to do is to add the rest of the ingredients and saute them until all of the ingredients come together to a nice picadillo dish. Raisins and olives are actually optional but would really give an additional unique flavor and color play with the dish.
Before turning the fire off, do a taste test to check if all ingredients are cooked well. Once done, grab your big bowl of hot rice and have fun eating!
1/2 kilo ground beef
1 onion (minced)
4 cloves of garlic (minced)
3 pieces tomatoes (chopped)
1 potato (cut into small cubes)
1 carrot (cut into small cubes)
1 cup green peas
10 pieces olives
200 ml tomato sauce
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste
- Heat enough oil in a pan. Add the onions, tomatoes and garlic and then saute for a few minutes until light brown and aromatic.
- Add the ground beef and saute it for a few minutes until it is no longer pink in color. (A lot of oil will be rendered at this point) Add the potatoes and cook for around 7 minutes.
- Add the carrots, green peas and tomato sauce. Stir until well mixed. Allow it to simmer for around 5 minutes. Then, add the raisins and olives. Season with some pepper and salt to taste. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Turn the heat off and transfer the picadillo to a serving dish. Serve it on top of newly steamed rice! Enjoy!
Picadillo Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1/2 kilo giniling na baka
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 4 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 3 kamatis (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 patatas (hiniwa ng maliliit na cubes)
- 1 carrot (hiniwa ng maliliit na cubes)
- 1 tasa ng green peas
- 10 piraso ng olives
- 200 ml tomato sauce
- Asin at paminta
- Magpainit ng konting mantika. Ilagay ang sibuyas, kamatis at bawang at igisa ng ilang minuto hanggang maging light brown.
- Ilagay ang giniling na baka at igisa ng ilang minuto hanggang hindi na ito pink. Ilagay ang mga patatas at iluto ito ng 7 minutes.
- Sunod na ilagay ang carrots, green peas at tomato sauce. Haluin ito at lutuin ng 5 minuto. Huling ilagay ang raisins at olives. Budburan ng asin at paminta. Lutuin ng 2 pang minuto.
- Patayin ang apoy at ilipat ang picadillo sa serving dish. Ilagay ito sa ibabaw ng bagong saing na kanin. Enjoy!