Shrimp Teriyaki is a version of the famous teriyaki dish with umami and sweetness and is made with Shrimp, soy sauce, rice wine, garlic powder, soy sauce, broccoli, carrot, garlic, sugar, onion and other herbs. The tender and ocean-y taste of the shrimp will truly complement the sweet savoury taste of the teriyaki sauce!
WHAT IS A TERIYAKI DISH?
Teriyaki is a dish from the Japanese cuisine which becomes famous with the Filipino palate due to its mild and umami taste. The word teriyaki is derived from the word “teri” which means “to a shine or luster given by the sugar” and “yaki” which means grilling or broiling.
The teriyaki dish has three main ingredients which when combined, gives the dish its unique taste and flavor. The teriyaki sauce, which coats any choice of meat, is made with soy sauce, mirin and sugar. The mirin is a sweet wine with a high sugar content which makes the teriyaki sauce distinctive.
In Japan, teriyaki dishes are usually made with fish such as yellowtail, marlin, skipjack tuna, salmon, trout and mackerel. West countries adapted this dish and used chicken, pork, lamb and beef. Now, teriyaki dishes evolve more, having it prepared with other protein sources such as squids, steaks and meatballs.
Teriyaki sauce is one of my favorite sauces since it is very flavorful and very easy to make. Aside from a teriyaki dish, I sometimes use this sauce in my burgers, bread and even as dips. This sauce is very versatile and is one of the best ones.
Although I make teriyaki dishes out of cravings, I usually make use of leftover meats and turn them into a teriyaki dish. This is a good technique to lessen food waste and to still enjoy the dish as well.
If there is fish, beef, pork and chicken teriyaki, why not shrimp teriyaki, right? Shrimp is one of the quickest meats to cook. During my busy days, shrimp teriyaki is a life saver. Me teaching my niece how to devein the shrimps are a much much life saver!!
If you wanna know how to make some shrimp teriyaki, continue reading and follow the recipe below. Have fun!
HOW TO COOK SHRIMP TERIYAKI
Making shrimp teriyaki is much easier than other meat sources. Aside from it cooks in a much shorter time, the meat is also super tender and juicy.
Start by preparing the shrimps. Devein them (and peel them if you like). Add the seasonings and the rice wine. If you can find the “mirin” type of wine, that would make the dish more authentic. If none, a regular sweet rice wine will do.
The shrimp teriyaki can be made with just plainly shrimps and teriyaki sauce but in this recipe, I added carrots and brocolli for some colors and change of textures. Blanch them first before incorporating in the dish.
Make the teriyaki sauce by combining the soy sauce, rice wine and sugar. The ratio of ingredients I added here are based on my taste so feel free to adjust them according to yours. If you like it sweeter, you may add more sugar.
Saute the aromatics, the shrimps, and the vegetables. When cooked, you may now add the teriyaki sauce. Let it cook until the sauce is slightly reduced. Or if you want a saucy dish, you may make more teriyaki sauce and then thicken it using a slurry. Most teriyaki dishes I know adds some roasted sesame seeds on top before serving.
I love shrimp teriyaki on top of hot steaming rice. Go grab your bowl and enjoy some!
Shrimp TeriyakiCourse: Uncategorized
1/4 kilo deveined shrimp
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons rice wine
Salt and pepper to taste
1 medium brocolli (chopped)
1 medium carrot (chopped)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 small red onion (chopped)
1 small red bell peppers (sliced)
- Prepare and devein the shrimps and then transfer them to a bowl. Next, season it with salt and pepper and then add the garlic powder and rice wine. Mix them using your hands.
- Put some water to a boil and blanch the brocolli and carrots for a minute. Transfer them to a bowl with water and ice. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar and rice wine. Set aside.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan. Add the garlic and onions and then saute for a few minutes until aromatic and light brown. Add the shrimps and then saute for 2 minutes on both sides.
- Next, add the blanched brocolli and carrots and then saute a bit. Add the bell peppers and then mix. Cover the pan and allow it to cook for a few minutes.
- Add the teriyaki sauce. Season with some salt and pepper and then mix.
- Transfer the shrimp teriyaki to a serving dish. Serve this on top of hot steaming rice. Yummy!
Shrimp Teriyaki Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1/4 kilo hipon (deveined)
- 1 kutsarita ng garlic powder
- 2 kutsara ng rice wine
- Asin at paminta
- 1 brocolli (hiniwa)
- 1 carrot (hiniwa)
- 1 kutsara ng toyo
- 1 kutsara ng asukal na pula
- 2 kutsara ng olive oil
- 3 butil ng bawang (hiniwa)
- 1 maliit na sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 1 maliit na red bell peppers (hiniwa)
- Ihanda at idevein ang mga hipon. Ilagay ang mga ito sa isang bowl. Lagyan ito ng asin, garlic powder, rice wine at paminta. Haluin ang mga ito gamit ang kamay.
- Magpakulo ng tubig at I-blanch ang brocolli at carrots ng 1 minuto. Ilipat ang mga ito sa bowl na may lamang tubig at yelo pagkatapos. Isantabi.
- Sa maliit na bowl, paghaluin ang toyo, asukal na pula, at rice wine. Isantabi.
- Magpainit ng olive oil sa kawali. Ilagay ang bawang at sibuyas at igisa ng ilang minuto. Ilagay ang mga hipon at igisa ng 2 minuto kada side.
- Sunod na ilagay ang brocolli at carrots at igisa ng konti. Ilagay ang mga bell peppers at haluin. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto ng ilang minuto.
- Ilagay ang ginawang teriyaki sauce. Budburan ng asin at paminta saka haluin.
- Ilipat ang shrimp teriyaki sa serving dish. Ihain ito sa ibabaw ng mainit na kanin. Yummy!