It always feel so fancy serving a whole chicken for the whole family. This recipe will show you how to make a quick and hassle-free pan-seared chicken made special with the magic of lemon soda. The sweetness and saltiness of this chicken will be a great partner of a bowl of nice and hot rice!
CHICKEN IN SPRITE AND OYSTER SAUCE
You won’t be needing any special equipment to make this best-tasting pan-seared chicken. All you need is a pan, some arm work, and a lot of love and dedication. Try this recipe if you want to spend quite some time working in the kitchen. This chicken dish may take you over an hour before you can devour on the fruit of your hard work.
For people without oven, turbo broilers and air fryers available, you can still make a restaurant-style chicken on the comfort of your homes. For sure, you have heard of alternative ways of “baking” the chicken using a pan. We will use that technique in making this chicken dish.
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN IN SPRITE AND OYSTER SAUCE
You start by preparing the chicken. Just rub the salt and pepper and then put the chicken stuffing. Heat some oil in a pan and gently sear the chicken. This will let the natural flavors of the chicken to come out. So easy, right? Prepare yourself as the next part will require you some time of flipping and basting.
The secret of this mouth-watering dish is in its special sauce. There will be a lot of excess oil from the searing of the chicken so make sure to remove some of the oil before proceeding to the next step. First, you need to saute the onions and garlic. You’ll know it’s a savoury dish when the smell of fried garlic lingers around your house. Add the soy sauce and oyster sauce and stir the ingredients. Place the seared chicken back to the pan. This is the time when we add the magic ingredient—the lemon soda. There are a lot of lemon soda available in the market but in this recipe, I used Sprite (not sponsored!).
Pour the lemon soda until ¼ of the chicken is covered. Stir the sauce so that the oyster and soy sauce will mix with the soda. Baste some of the sauce to all parts of the chicken. You do not need to add water since the soda already has water in it. The next few steps will be the simmering, chicken flipping and basting. I can imagine how flavorful the chicken will be!
When cooking whole chicken, always check the temperature to make sure that it is cooked thoroughly. Use a kitchen thermometer and poke a lean part of the chicken without touching the bones. If the temperature ranges from 75-80C or 165-175F, then it is fully cooked. If you prefer dry chicken, simmer until the sauce dries up completely. For me, I like it saucy! Transfer the chicken into a serving dish and partner it with hot rice and you will surely make this recipe over and over again! Yum!
Chicken In Sprite and Oyster Sauce
This recipe will help you to make Chicken in sprite and oyster sauce, for your family. Chicken in sprite and oyster sauce in sprite and oyster sauce is very popular and tasty chicken dish in Philippines. You follow this recipe in step by step and you will see that one of the best chicken dish you ever tasted.
Chicken in Sprite and Oyster SauceCourse: Chicken Recipes
1 whole chicken (~1.5 kilograms)
3 cups lemon soda
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 medium-sized onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
spring onions (optional)
1 stalk of lemongrass
onion and garlic for chicken filling
oil for searing
- Rub some salt and ground black pepper on the surface and inside the chicken.
- Stuff the chicken with the onions, garlic and lemongrass. Seal the chicken using a toothpick.
- Heat some oil in a pan under medium heat. Sear the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Set the chicken aside.
- Remove some oil from the pan. Sauté the onion and garlic until aromatic. Add the oyster sauce and soy sauce. Add the seared chicken back to the pan. Pour the lemon soda into the chicken. The amount of lemon soda will depend on the size of the chicken.
- Baste some sauce into the chicken. Cover the pan and allow it to simmer for around 25 minutes under low heat. Flip the chicken to cook the other side and continue simmering for another 20 minutes.
- Baste the chicken with the sauce to make the color even. Continue simmering and basting until the sauce is reduced. If you prefer a dry chicken, continue cooking until the sauce is completely dried.
- Transfer the cooked chicken in a serving dish. Serve with a bowl of hot rice and enjoy it!
- Aside from the garlic, onions and lemongrass, you may also stuff the chicken with ginger and herbs to infuse more flavors.
- You may poke some holes on the chicken using a fork before basting to let the marinade sip in.
- Make sure to remove the chicken stuffing before serving.
- You can opt to cut the chicken into smaller pieces but it would have no infused flavors from the chicken stuffing.
Watch how to Cook Chicken in Sprite and Oyster Sauce
Chicken in Sprite and Oyster Sauce Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 buong manok (~1.5 kilo)
- 3 tasa ng lemon soda
- 3 kutsarang oyster sauce
- 2 kutsarang toyo
- 1 pirasong sibuyas (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 4 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- asin at paminta
- spring onions (optional)
- 1 tangkay ng tanglad
- sibuyas at bawang (panglaman sa loob ng manok)
- Pahiran ng asin at paminta ang loob at labas ng manok.
- Ilagay ang mga pampalasa sa loob ng manok (sibuyas, bawang, tanglad). Gumamit ng toothpick para maisara ang manok.
- Magpainit ng konting mantika sa katamtamang apoy. Ilagay ang manok sa kawali at lutuin sa loob ng 3-5 minuto. Baliktarin ang manok para maluto ang kabilang side.
- Alisin ang manok sa kawali at bawasan ang mantika. Mag gisa ang sibuyas at bawang. Sunod na ilagay ang oyster sauce at toyo. Ibalik ang manok sa kawali at saka ilagay ang lemon soda. Ang dami ng lemon soda ay depende sa laki ng manok.
- Habang naluluto ang manok, buhusan ito ng sauce. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto sa loob ng 25 minuto. Baliktarin ang manok para maluto ang kabilang side nito. Lutuin pa ito ng 20 pang minuto.
- Buhusan ng sauce ang manok hanggang maging pantay ang kulay nito. Hayaan itong maluto hanggang sa malapit nang matuyo ang sauce. Kung gusto mo ng tuyong luto ng manok, lutuin pa ito hanggang matuyo ang sauce.
- Ilipat ang manok sa isang malaking lalagyan. Ihain ito kasama ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!