If you want to add something to your celebration dishes or just want to make something new from our classic “lumpia”, try this healthy and low-fat chicken cabbage roll recipe! It’s a new and fun way of making rolls without thinking about the calories too much. Less guilt, more eating. This healthy rolls is bursting with different flavors and even the picky eaters would love this!
CHICKEN CABBAGE ROLLS
Meat and veggie rolls are one of the most convenient food to eat. Some people have this as their comfort food. If you want to make a healthier version of it, you are reading this recipe on purpose.
Chicken cabbage rolls, just like its name, is cabbage with chicken meat filling and is rolled. It will take you some time of doing but the time and effort will be paid off once you take the first bite of this delicious dish. This dish can be enjoyed as a snack or an ulam. I really like it with sweet chili dip. You can make a large batch of it during celebrations or you could just make some for your own. You should definitely try this one today!
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN CABBAGE ROLLS
Cooking the chicken cabbage rolls will involve several but simple steps. It is best to make when your dedication of working in the kitchen is at its peak, or its better if you have someone with you to work with. I say it’s kitchen time bonding time!
You will first need to prepare the napa cabbage leaves which will serve as the wrapper for the cabbage rolls. To effortlessly and efficiently separate the leaves, just cut the bottom thick part of the napa cabbage. Once you do this, the leaves will separate on its own. Boil some water and dip each leaf for a few seconds. The reason why we need to do this step is to soften the leaves, making it flexible for wrapping and rolling.
For the meat filling, you just simply combine all the ingredients and mix them well. You could actually use any type of meat that you like. But as we aim for a healthier option, we are going to use chicken in this recipe. Once the meat filling is done, create the cabbage rolls by placing a spoon of meat filling on a piece of leaf and then roll and wrap it. There is no need to use special sealers like egg whites or toothpicks. Since the leaves are wet, they will stick and seal on its own. Repeat this step until all the meat filling are consumed. For the next step, you will be steaming the cabbage rolls. This is to further soften the leaves and to cook the meat filling. Chicken is very easy to cook so there will be no worries of undercooking the meat filling.
You can actually stop on this step. But if you like to feed this to a picky child, you may wanna try to hide the vegetable. Prepare the fry coatings and deep each steamed cabbage roll starting with the cornstarch, egg and the breadcrumbs. Shallow-fry the rolls until golden brown and then drain the excess oil. Not only will this step hide the vegetable but will also make it a fingerfood which will be very convenient to eat. Serve the cabbage rolls with your favorite dip and enjoy!
Chicken Cabbage Rolls
1 big napa cabbage
500 grams ground chicken
½ cup carrots, minced
1 red onion, minced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon kinchay, minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large egg
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs (for coating)
1 cup breadcrumbs
oil for deep-frying
- Chop the bottom part of the napa cabbage and separate the leaves. Dip each leaf in boiling water for 10-15 seconds to wilt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the ground chicken, carrots, red onion, garlic, kinchay, soy sauce, oyster sauce, ground black pepper and egg. Mix well until fully combined.
- In a flat clean space, place one leaf of napa cabbage. Put around 1 tablespoon of meat filling at the bottom base of the leaf. Roll and wrap carefully. Repeat this step with the rest of the leaves until all the meat fillings are consumed.
- Steam the cabbage rolls for 7 to 8 minutes under low heat. Remove the cabbage rolls from the heat and let it cool a little.
- Prepare the fry coatings. Place the cornstarch, eggs and breadcrumbs on separate plates. Dip each cabbage roll on each fry coating starting with the cornstarch, then in eggs and then in breadcrumbs.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Fry the cabbage rolls until golden brown. Transfer to a strainer or a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Serve with your favorite dip. Enjoy!
Chicken Cabbage Rolls Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 pirasong malaking pechay baguio
- ½ kilo giniling na manok
- ½ tasang carrots (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 pirasong sibuyas (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 4 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 kutsarang kinchay (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 2 kutsarang toyo
- 2 kutsarang oyster sauce
- ½ kutsaritang durog na paminta
- 1 pirasong itlog
- 1 tasang cornstarch
- 2 piraso ng itlog (for coating)
- 1 tasa ng breadcrumbs
- Pang-pritong mantika
- Hiwain ang babang part ng pechay baguio at paghiwahiwalayin ang mga dahon. Isawsaw ang bawat dahon sa kumukulong tubog ng 10 hanggang 15 segundo para lumambot.
- Sa isang malaking bowl, ilagay ang giniling na manok, carrots, sibuyas, bawang, kinchay, toyo, oyster sauce, paminta at itlog. Haluin ito ng mabuti.
- Ipatong ang isang piraso ng pechay baguio sa isang flat na space. Maglagay ng isang kutsarang meat filling sa bandang babang parte ng dahon. I-roll at balutin ito ng mabuti. Ulitin ang step na ito hanggang magamit mo na ang lahat ng nagawang meat filling.
- I-steam ang mga cabbage rolls sa mababang apoy ng 7 hanggang 8 minuto. Alisin ang mga ito sa steamer at hayaang lumamig ng konti.
- Ihanda ang mga fry coatings. Maglagay ng cornstarch, itlog at breadcrumbs sa tatlong hiwahiwalay na pinggan. I-coat ang bawat cabbage roll sa bawat isang fry coating simula sa cornstarch, egg at breadcrumbs.
- Magpainit ng mantika sa kawali. Iprito ang mga cabbage rolls hanggang maging golden brown. Ilipat ang mga ito sa strainer o sa paper towel para tumulo ang sobrang mantika.
- I-serve kasama ng iyong favorite ng dip. Enjoy!