Wanting to hide fruits in your kid’s diet? Banana peel is the real deal! Banana peel shanghai is one way to repurpose the banana peels instead of throwing them immediately. This nutritious snack is very simple to prepare and is best eaten at any time of the day.
BANANA PEEL SHANGHAI
When you eat your banana, do you immediately throw the banana peel in the trash? Actually, I did too. But I stopped as soon as I discovered this hidden gem. It is very surprising to know that peels of different fruits can be repurposed in dishes. One of them are the banana peels.
Aside from helping the world on reducing food waste, it is also a good feeling when we get our money’s worth for the things we buy. If we use the peels from the banana we eat, we get more than we did before. Also, the banana peels are rich in nutrients. If we use it in dishes, not only can we add a hint of banana flavor, but we can also add a source of fiber and essential amino acids to our diet.
Lumpia never goes wrong. If there will be a food that will represent peace, that would be lumpia. Anything can be a lumpia filling. I tried using the banana peel as the main ingredient for my lumpia and it tastes good! Even my niece who isn’t a fan of bananas loved it. If you wanna try your first banana peel dish, try this banana peel shanghai today!
HOW TO COOK BANANA PEEL SHANGHAI
Don’t be scared! Banana peel shanghai is just like making your classic lumpiang shanghai with just a few extra steps. After you have gathered the banana peels, remove the ends and dark spots. We don’t want any off parts in our lumpia filling for later. Boil the peels in water for a few minutes and then let it cool down. At this point, the banana peels are clean and safe to use. Treat the banana peel just like the other ingredients for the lumpia filling. Mince the boiled banana peels and the other ingredients. For the next step, you will just need to combine all the filling ingredients until you achieve a nice paste-like mixture. Add a spoonful of lumpia filling to a piece of lumpia wrapper. If you think you made a long lumpia, just cut it in half. After you’ve consumed all ingredients, its cooking time! Fry the banana peel shanghai until golden brown. Transfer in a serving plate and enjoy with your favorite dip!
Banana Peel Shanghai Recipe
10 pcs banana peel
1 medium-sided carrots, grated
1 large onion, minced
4 cloves of garlic
30 grams oyster sauce
a bunch of spring onions, minced
1 piece egg
salt and pepper to taste
15 to 20 pieces lumpia wrapper
oil for frying
- Peel the bananas. Separate the peels from the fruit. Use the fruit for other purposes. Remove the black spots on the skin and the ends of the peels.
- Transfer the banana peels in a pot with water. Cover the pot and boil for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain the banana peels and let it cool down. Slice the peels into tiny pieces. Chop until finely minced.
- For the lumpia filling, transfer the minced banana peels in a large bowl. Add the grated carrots, minced onions, minced garlic, spring onions, oyster sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Add the egg. Mix well until the ingredients are well-combined.
- Lay a piece of lumpia wrapper in a clean flat surface.
- Scoop one full spoon of the lumpia filling on one side of the wrapper ang carefully arrange the filling. Wrap and roll the lumpia, ensuring that the sides are closed. Brush the other end with water to help seal the edge.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Fry the banana peel shanghai in batches until golden brown. Flip the other side to cook.
- Transfer the cooked shanghai in a strainer or paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Place the banana peel Shanghai in a serving dish and serve with your favorite dip. Enjoy!
Banana Peel Shanghai Recipe Tagalog
- 10 piraso balat ng saging
- 1 piraso ng carrot (grated)
- 1 malaking sibuyas (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 4 butil ng bawang
- 30 grams oyster sauce
- isang tali ng spring onions (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 pirasong itlog
- asin at paminta
- 15 hanggang 20 piraso ng lumpia wrapper
- mantika (pangprito)
- Balatan ang mga saging. Ihiwalay ang balat sa bunga. Gamitin ang bunga sa ibang dishes. Alisin ang mga black spots at dulo ng mga balat ng saging.
- Ilipat ang mga balat ng saging sa isang kaldero. Lagyan ng tubig. Takpan ang kaldero at hayaan itong kumulo ng 3 hanggang 5 minuto.
- Alisin sa tubig ang mga balat ng saging at hayaan itong lumamig. Ichop ang mga ito hanggang maging sobrang liit.
- Para sa lumpia filling, kumuha ng isang malaking bowl at ilagay ang mga balat ng saging, carrot, sibuyas, bawang, spring onions at oyster sauce. Budburan ng asin at paminta. Ilagay ang itlog. Haluing mabuti ang mga ingredients.
- Maglagay ng isang lumpia wrapper sa isang malinis na flat surface.
- Kumuha ng isang kutsarang lumpia filling at ilagay ito sa isang side ng lumpia wrapper at i-arrange ang filling. Iroll ng dahan dahan ang wrapper at siguraduhing sarado ang dalawang dulo. Ibrush ng tubig and dulo bago isara ang lumpia.
- Magpainit ng mantika sa isang kawali. Iprito ang banana peel shanghai hanggang maging golden brown. Baliktarin ang mga ito para maluto ang kabilang side.
- Ilipat ang mga napritong shanghai sa isang strainer o paper towel para tumulo ang sobrang mantika.
- Ilagay sa isang serving dish ang banana peel shanghai at iserve kasama ang iyong favorite dip. Enjoy!