Lumpiang gulay are crispy Filipino vegetable spring rolls filled with your favorite vegetables. If you’re a fan of mixed veggies, you will definitely like this crispy finger food snack.
Lumpia is one of the most convenient food to eat. Given that is wrapped in a crispy layer, it can easily be held and eaten any time and anywhere! There are a lot of known lumpia varieties based on its filling. If you’re a fan of meat, you can try some pork, chicken or fish lumpia. If you wanna go vegan, you can try lumpiang gulay and lumpiang togue. Lumpiang gulay will be the one featured in this recipe blog.
Lumpiang gulay or vegetable spring rolls is one of the best afternoon snacks. I have this ate who regularly roams the neighbourhood to sell her snacks including lumpia, empanada and turon. Each week, she varies her lumpia fillings which makes our afternoon snack something to look forward to. Ate’s lumpiang gulay is really delicious! She includes all the vegetables for pancit. Given that ate’s lumpia has bell peppers and my mom is not a fan of it, we decided to make our own lumpia to customize our filling and to have a stock whenever we want. Another wonder of making homemade dishes is that you can customize what you want to include in your dish. There are some lumpia batches made by my mom which includes broccoli and mushroom! Just wow. Also, instead of just afternoons, we can enjoy the lumpia any time of the day!
Lumpiang gulay is not just a tasty snack but is also a healthy one. It is low in calories given that all ingredients used in the filling are vegetables. The colourful filling also satisfies my palate with every bite. Aside from being a snack, you can also eat the lumpia as an ulam! And the most savage one, you can eat lumpia as a pulutan! There is really no rules on how to enjoy this amazing and healthy finger food. Use this recipe as a quick guide to make your own lumpiang gulay at home!
HOW TO MAKE LUMPIANG GULAY
The most important part of the lumpiang gulay is the veggie filling. You can use any vegetables that you like and we included the basics in this recipe. I really like using chopped cabbage since it give added crunch to the filling. Prepare your vegetables and be sure to chop them into thin strips to make it easier to eat. Simply stir fry your veggies and toss them gently so all kinds of veggies are well-distributed. Do a quick taste test just to check if your veggies are cooked. Let them cool a bit and then it’s wrapping time!
If you have watched the cooking video, you might notice that I used a square wrapper. It’s just a different shape but the circular wrapper works the same. Scoop some veggie filling and roll and wrap your lumpia. Just make sure that the fillings are secured. Make sure that the oil is hot before you place the lumpia in the pan. Fry them until crispy and golden brown. Serve them with your favorite dip. I like enjoying it with my homemade spicy vinegar dip! Eat it immediate to munch the crunch!
Lumpiang GulayCourse: Vegetable Recipes
¼ cabbage (thinly sliced)
1 carrot (julienned)
a bunch of green beans (sliced diagnoally)
1 onion (minced)
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
salt to taste
pepper to taste
oil (for sautéing and deep frying)
- Heat some oil in a pan and sauté the onions and garlic until light brown and fragrant.
- Add the carrots and green beans. Stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped cabbage and stir fry for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixed vegetables in a container and let it cool a bit.
- Lay a piece of lumpia wrapper in a clean flat surface. Scoop around 2 tablespoons of the vegetable filling. Fold both sides of the wrapper and roll the lumpia into a log. Brush some water at the edge of the lumpia to seal.
- Heat some oil for deep frying. Fry the lumpiang gulay in batches until the wrapper is crispy and golden brown. Flip to cook the other side.
- Transfer the fried lumpiang gulay in a strainer or paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Serve it with some spicy vinegar dip and consume while hot and crispy. Enjoy!
Paano Magluto ng Lumpiang Gulay
- ¼ repolyo (hiniwa ng maninipis)
- 1 carrot (hiniwa ng maliliit na pahaba)
- green beans (hiniwa ng diagonal)
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 2 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- mantika (pang-gisa at deep fry)
- lumpia wrapper
- Magpainit ng mantika at igisa ang sibuyas at bawang hanggang maging light brown.
- Ilagay ang carrots at green beans. Igisa ng ilang minuto.
- Ilagay ang repolyo at igisa ng 2 minuto. Budburan ng asin at paminta.
- Ilipat ang mixed veggies sa isang lalagyan para lumamig.
- Maglatag ng isang lumpia wrapper sa malinis na flat surface. Maglagay ng 2 kutsara ng veggie filling. I-fold paloob ang mga sides ng wrapper at i-roll ng pahaba. I-brush ng tubig ang dulo ng wrapper para ma-seal.
- Magpainit ng madaming mantika. Iprito ang lumpiang gulay ng batches hanggang maging light brown. Baliktarin para maluto ang kabilang side.
- Ilipat ang lumpiang gulay sa isang strainer o paper towel para tumulo ang sobrang mantika.
- Ihain ang lumpiang gulay kasama ng spicy vinegar dip. Kainin habang mainit at crispy. Enjoy!