Tteokbokki is a Korean spicy rice cake, popular street food in south Korea and Philippines is made by red chili paste, soy sauce, brown sugar, Korean chili flakes, garlic, onion, rice cakes, fish cakes, sesame oil, sesame seeds and spring onions. It’s super delicious, umami rich and even if your tummy is full, still you will have some to taste this delicious Korean tteokbokki.
TTEOKBOKKI (Spicy Rice Cake)
Tteokbokki, also known as stir-fried rice cake, is made of tender cylindrical-shaped rice cake noodles with a savory Korean sauce such as gochujang or gochugaru. If you like extra spicy and odd from what you always eat, then feel free to treat yourself some tteokbokki.
The first time I ate in a Korean restaurant, I remember the the whole vibe and feeling that I am acting in a K-drama scene. Don’t you lie to tell me that I’m the only one. After the waiter handed me the menu, I stare at the Korean symbols for a long awkward time, so bemused. Thanks to the english translation written beside it I was able to have my big bowl of delish tteokbokki and sweating cold bucket of peach-flavored soju.
Filipinos are very much easily influenced by plenty of Korean customs and trends. K-dramas, K-pops, and K-stars? Really, it’s not surprising anymore to find Korean stores here in our country effortlessly. Tteokbokki rice cake rice is chewy Korean delicious food.
How To Make TTEOKBOKKI (Spicy Rice Cake)
On making a tteokbokki, be sure to visit a Korean store because the ingredients are rare to find in local market places. Then, arrange everything you got on a clean table and you’re now all set.
In a small bowl, begin with making a base. The base is just the combination of the red chili paste, soy sauce, sugar, chili flakes, and minced garlic. Set this powder mixture aside to be added into the sauce later.
For the sauce, you can use Anchovy Broth for added flavor or if not available, you can opt to using pure water. Carefully pour it into the pan in medium heat then add the powder mixture that was prepared earlier. Season it with sliced onions until it becomes aromatic. This is the perfect time to combine the rice cakes. Add more ingredients like fish cakes or fried tofu as you like. Drop a considerate amount of sesame oil and sprinkle it with sesame seeds. Don’t forget to drizzle your tteokbokki with spring onions as you transfer it presentably onto you plates. Tteokbokki rice cake recipe is super easy to follow and tastes great. Yum! Tteokbokki sauce is very tasty and thickens the dish and looks shiny.
TTEOKBOKKI (Spicy Rice Cake)Course: Noodle Recipes
3 tbsp gochujang (red chilli paste)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp Korean chili flakes
1 tbsp chopped garlic
2 cups Anchovy Broth or water
1 medium sliced onion
3 cups of rice cakes
1/2 cup fried tofu or fish cake (optional)
- To make the base, combine in a bowl the gochujang (red chilli paste), soy sauce, brown sugar, Korean chili flakes and chopped cloves of garlic. Give it a good mix then set it aside.
- Next, create the special sauce by putting 2 cups of Anchovy Broth or just water in a medium-heated pan. Add the base you’ve prepared a while ago. Carefully stir the mixture and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Now, add the medium-chopped onions. Let it seethe again for 5-7 minutes before putting in the rice cakes. You can then add some fried tofu or fish cake for extra flavor if you like.
- Mix and coat the rice cakes with the sauce. Boil it until the rice cakes get chewy in texture. Estimated 7-10 mins of boiling will do. Drizzle with sesame oil and spatter with sesame seeds.
- Finally, transfer into a presentable platter and sprinkle a good amount of spring onions. Enjoy!