Tikoy is another sweet dessert we owe from the Chinese. Nian gao is the Chinese name for tikoy which translates to “higher year” and “Chinese New Year cake”. Tikoy with Kamote is made with tikoy, sweet potatoes and oil. So try this variation to taste another tikoy goodness to enjoy the day.
TIKOY WITH KAMOTE
Tikoy is another sweet dessert we owe from the Chinese. Nian gao is the Chinese name for tikoy which translates to “higher year” and “Chinese New Year cake”. This glutinous rice cake is very popular during the Chinese New Year, but is actually available all year round. It is believed that the stickiness of the tikoy will help bind the family and gives luck and prosperity to those who eat it. Some of the most popular tikoy flavors are plain, ube and pandan.
Some people are actually debating whether tikoy is must be cooked or eaten straight out of the box. We believe that no matter how you eat your tikoy, the most important thing is that you enjoy. Based on some testimonials and even on personal experience, uncooked tikoy is edible and actually tastes good too! It is recommended for those who do not want too soft tikoy. The most usual way of cooking tikoy is to coat it with beaten eggs and then fried. Yummy, right?
The tikoy holds so much potential as a food item. Its soft and sticky texture when cooked can be teamed up with other ingredients for a new bright whole dish. People now are using tikoy in a variety of snacks like tikoy cheese lumpia, tikoy rolls and tikoy butchi. You will find in this recipe another way of utilizing tikoy to a sweet and soft snack which can be surely enjoyed by everyone.
HOW TO COOK TIKOY WITH KAMOTE
Will you believe that this great snack is only made from 2 ingredients? For real! If you have leftover tikoy from the Chinese New Year, level up your tikoy game and try this tikoy with kamote recipe!
Slice your tikoy into thin strips. We are cutting it thinly to melt it faster for later. When your tikoy is ready, time to prepare the sweet potatoes. Cut the sweet potatoes into small short strips, somewhat like small fries. Now, let us go to the stove for some chill cookin’. The goal of this recipe to marry the sweet potatoes and the tikoy. With the power vested upon you, place a handful of sweet potato strips on an oiled pan and top it with thin slices of tikoy. When the tikoy has melted, try to flip everything to cook the other side. If you are having difficulties in flipping, it might just mean that you needed to melt more tikoy. If all are sticking together and you think you have achieved the amount for one serving, shape it into a flat circle and you are basically done. Transfer the tikoy with kamote in a banana leaf for more chill vibes. You may now kiss, I mean eat, the tikoy with kamote. Best partnered with hot tea or coffee. Enjoy and don’t forget to share!
Tikoy with KamoteCourse: Uncategorized
200 grams tikoy
2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
oil for frying
- Cut the tikoy into thin slices. Set aside.
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Cut into small short strips.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Place a handful of sweet potato strips and gently arrange. Top the sweet potato strips with tikoy slices.
- Cover the pan and let it cook using low heat until the tikoy softens and melts.
- Flip the sweet potato strips. Bind them using the soft and sticky tikoy. Form it into a circle.
- Add more tikoy slices and melt them to fully bind the sweet potato strips.
- Cover the pan and cook for a few more minutes using low heat.
- Flip the sweet potato strips and continue cooking until both sides are golden brown.
- Transfer the tikoy with kamote in a banana leaf and enjoy!
Tikoy with Kamote Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 200 grams tikoy
- 2 piraso ng kamote
- mantika (pangprito)
- Hiwain ang tikoy ng maninipis na slices.
- Linisin at balatan ang mga kamote. Hiwain ito ng maliliit na strips.
- Magpainit ng mantika sa kawali. Maglagay ng isang dakot ng kamote strips at iarrange sa kawali. Ilagay ang tikoy slices sa ibabaw ng kamote strips.
- Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto hanggang lumambot at matunaw ang tikoy.
- Baliktarin ang kamote strips para maluto ang kabilang side. Idikit ang kamote strips gamit ang natunaw na tikoy. Gawin itong bilog.
- Dagdagan ito ng tikoy slices hanggang sa magdikit-dikit ang mga kamote strips.
- Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto ng ilang minuto gamit ang mababang apoy.
- Baliktarin ang kamote strips at lutuin hanggang maging golden brown ang parehong sides nito.
- Ilagay ang tikoy with kamote sa isang banana leaf. Enjoy!