Mango cakes are an easy to do dessert you can make and share with family and neighbors. A simple chiffon cake layered with pureed mangoes, cream cheese frosting, and topped with more mangoes. You’ll surely be involve with this No oven Mango Supreme Cake ala Red Ribbon!
What are mangoes to the Philippines?
Mangoes are well known as the Philippine’s national fruit, delicious sweet and juicy. This tempting yellow fruit is one of the most important fruit crop with bananas and pineapples grown within the Philippines. The ‘carabao mango’ or ‘Manila Super mango’ also called the “champagne Mango”. Being the top imported mango species exported to the world, because of it’s large size and unrivaled sweetness. Mango or “Manga” in Filipino is also said to have a shape that closely resembles a heart. When ripe, the mango is said to represent the ‘golden heart of every Filipino’. Reminding everyone of the kindness instilled in our hearts.
There are a number of types of mangoes cultivated in the Philippines. In the 1995 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records the carabao mango was listed the sweetest in the world. Like most Philippine grown mangoes, harvesting of these were around late May to early July.
In the Philippines there are a variety of ways to serve and add in mangoes to desserts and drinks. Served fresh, added to desserts, as a drink, made into jam or sauce, or eaten unripe with a pinch of salt or bagoong. This fruit can be seen from groceries, street carts, to backyard gardens, enjoyed fresh in the summer and out of season in desserts or drinks all year round.
What makes this No oven Mango Supreme Cake ala Red Ribbon special?
Mangoes are the summer fruit of the Philippines. From dried mangoes, mango flavored ice creams, iceboxes, mango teamed dishes and desserts. Mango is definitely the sweet refreshing fruit that you’ll go for to cool off in the hot weather.
In this recipe, this Mango supreme cake is a layered no oven cake made of chiffon, cream cheese frosting, and mango puree. Similar to iceboxes, crema de fruta, and graham desserts this cake is served chilled and decorated heavily with more mangoes to give it a rich and indulgent feel. Commercial chains like Red Ribbon and Goldilocks create these seasonal cakes in the summer. While it looks intimidating, this dessert is easy to do once brought down to parts, with basic chiffon layers of eggs, milk, flour, oil, and sugar, layered with instant puree of mangoes and water thickened with sugar, and frosting of cream cheese, all purpose cream, and powdered sugar to stabilize. Repeatedly arranged in a similar fashion, covered with more frosting with a piped top, more mangoes and served chilled.
A great summer treat oozing with mangoes, cream in every fluffy chiffon layer!
No oven Mango Supreme Cake ala Red RibbonCourse: Dessert
Try this sweet summer delight for a cool summer!
- Cake layer
1 cup all purpose flour
½ cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons powdered milk
¼ cup oil
¼ cup water
¼ teaspoon vinegar
½ cup white sugar
2 & ½ cups cubed mangoes
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon water
2 packs all purpose cream (chilled overnight)
1 cup cream cheese
1 & ½ cup powdered sugar
1 – 2 cups cubed mangoes
- For the Cake layer:
- Mix together the dry mixture of all purpose flour, white sugar, baking powder, salt, and powdered milk. Set aside. Mix together the wet mixture of 4 egg yolks, oil, and water. Mix the dry and wet mixture together.
- Make the meringue mixture; whisk 4 egg whites till foamy, add vinegar and whisk again till soft peaks. Slowly add white sugar while whisking. Whisking till you get stiff peaks.
- Add 1/3 of the meringue mixture into the cake batter. Mix well. Add the other half and fold, and the last meringue mixture and fold well.
- In a 9” pan, place a parchment at the bottom. Add 1/3 of the mixture into this. Tap 3 times.
- To pan bake; cover a pan at medium heat for 7 to 10 minutes. Add a rack and the cake pan. Cover this for 25 to 30 minutes.
- To oven bake; preheat oven to 375°C or 190°F and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- While the cakes are cooling, place a rack over this and flip. This is to slowly take the cake out of the pan. Once cooled, take the pan and parchment away and set aside.
- For the Puree:
- In a blender or grinder, add mangoes, sugar, and water. Blend till smooth. This should look thick. Set aside.
- For the Frosting:
- In a bowl, whip all purpose cream till fluffy. Add the cream cheese and mix well.
- Add ½ cup powdered sugar and whisk well. Add 1 cup powdered sugar, mix before whisking to avoid making a mess. Set aside.
- To Layer the Cake:
- Place the bottom cake layer, spread around 5 to 7 tablespoons of puree, top with ½ to 1 cup frosting. Top with another cake layer and repeat with the puree and frosting before adding the top cake layer. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes if needed.
- Frost the sides and top. Chill if needed. Place the remaining frosting in a piping bag with a star tip.
- Pipe the top-end of the cake with a circular motion. Or add any decoration or piping style you would like. Keeping the middle free.
- Add the puree in the middle and top with mango cubes to décor. Chill before serving.
- For a thicker cake layer, use a 5 or 6 inch pan instead.
- Dry steaming cakes will look lighter while oven baked cakes will have a brown skin on top.
Mango Supreme Cake Recipe (tagalog)
- 1 tasa all purpose flour
- ½ tasa putting asukal
- 1 kutsaritang baking powder
- ¼ kutsaritang asin
- 2 kutsarang powdered milk
- 4 itlog
- ¼ tasa mantika
- ¼ tasa tubig
- ¼ kutsaritang suka
- ½ tasa putting asukal
- 2 at ½ tasa hati hati na mangga
- 1/3 tasa putting asukal
- 1 kutsarang tubig
- 2 carton all purpose cream (pinalamig magdamag)
- 1 tasa cream cheese
- 1 at ½ tasa powdered sugar
- 1 – 2 tasa hati hati na mangga
Para sa Cake layer:
- Haluin ang tuyong halo gawa sa harina, putting asukal, baking powder, asin, at powdered milk. Itabi. Haluin ang basing halo ng 4 egg yolk, mantika, at tubig, Haluin ang tuyo at basang hinalo.
- Gawin ang meringue na halo; batihin ang 4 na egg whites hangang mabula, dagdagan ng suka at batihin hangang mag soft peaks ito. Dahan dahan ilagay ang puting asukal habang binabati gawin ito hangang mag ‘stiff peaks’.
- Lagyan ng 1/3 ng meringue na halo sa cake batter. Haluin ng mabuti. Dagdagan ng kalahati at tiklupin, dagdagan ng natitira at tiklupin.
- Sa 9” na pan, lagyan ito ng parchment paper sa ibaba. Lagyan ng 1/3 ng batter ditto. Tapikin ng 3 beses.
- Para mag pan bake. Takpan ang kawali sa kalan na may katamtamang init ng 7 o 10 na minute. Ilugar ang rack at cake pan sa gitna. Takpan ito ng 25 o 30 na minute.
- Para mag oben bake; initin ang oben ng 375°C o 190°F at lutuin ng 25 o 30 na minute.
- Habang nagpaplamig ng cake, maglagay ng rack sa taas ng pan at itklop para pakonti konti bumaba ito. Pag lumamig na, tanggalin ang pan at parchment paper at itabi.
For the Puree:
- Sa blender o grinder, ilagay ang mnga mangga, asukal, at tubig. Iblend. Dapat mag mukang makapal ito. Itabi.
For the Frosting:
- Sa isang mangkok, ibati ang all purpose cream. Idagdag ang cream cheese at haluin ng mabuti.
- Idagdag ang ½ na tasa ng powdered sugar at batihin ng mabuti. Idagdag ang 1 tasa ng powdered sugar. Haluin muna bago batihin. Para hindi kumalat. Itabi.
To Layer the Cake:
- Ilagay ang ibaba na cake layer, ikalat ang 5 o 7 kutsarang puree, ilagay ng ½ o 1 tasa ng frosting sa taas nito. Ilagay ang pangalawang cake at ilagay ang puree at frosting. Pagkatapos ilagya ang itaas na cake layer. Palamigin sa ref ng 30 na minute kung kinakailangan.
- Ifrost ang gilid at itaas ng cake. Palamigin kung kinakailangan. Ilagay ang natitirang frosting sa piping bag na may star tip.
- Ipipe ang gilid ng itaas ng cake gamit ang paikot na motion, o deokorasyonan ng kahit anong style na gusto. Panatilihing walang laman sa gitna nito.
- Lagyan ng puree sa gitna at dekorayonan ng hati hati na manga. Palamigin bago iserve.