If you like lumpia and you like pizza, Spring Roll Pizza a.ka. LUMPIZZA is the perfect treat for you! Lumpizza is one way to enjoy lumpia and pizza in one bite.
LUMPIA + PIZZA = LUMPIZZA
Filipinos do not just adore lumpia—WE LOVE IT. Lumpia is one of the dishes that are always almost present at every occasion and even just as a snack on a normal hot sunny day. It only takes one traditional ingredient to be a certified lumpia—the lumpia wrapper. The rice paper wrapper or more commonly called lumpia wrapper, is one of the most versatile ingredient in the Filipino cuisine. When we say lumpia, we agree on a fried crunchy golden brown outside with a surprise filling on the inside. We don’t really know the filling—but we know we are down for it! For the lumpia filling, just do your magic! Anything can be a lumpia filling. And everyone is stepping up their lumpia game.
Filipinos are very innovative and creative. And we always try to make food more convenient to eat. We started on our favorite pizza which is a big circular pie and are eaten in slices. Pizza evolved into pizza pockets, which are smaller but has the same component. And now, we present to you the thin crust version of the pizza roll—Lumpizza! Find out on this recipe how to make this new trendy recipe for you and your family.
HOW TO COOK LUMPIZZA (SPRING ROLL PIZZA)
I based this lumpizza recipe from one of my favorite pizza flavor, the Hawaiian-style. We first start by preparing the pizza filling. Among the ingredients for the filling, only the ham needs extra few steps. Fry the ham slices to cook. It has some oil in it already so you can either just spray some oil or use no oil at all. Sounds healthy, right? Or actually, you could use store-bough cooked ham, if you’re in a rush. For the other ingredients, you just need to chop them into tiny pieces. Add the pizza filling ingredients one by one in a large bowl. As you add the pineapple tidbits with the rest of the ingredients, don’t forget to scream ALOHA for some extra magic! In case pizza sauce is not available, you can use tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce. Mozzarella cheese is really recommended for that ooey gooey stretchy experience but since it is kind of expensive, you can use quickmelt cheese which are relatively cheaper. Mix the ingredients well and the pizza filling is done.
It’s party time, it’s wrap and roll time! Some people have difficulties in wrapping lumpia but I really find it satisfying once you’ve mastered the proper techniques. Lay a piece of lumpia wrapper in a flat surface, add some fillings on one side, wrap and roll. Brushing the edge with egg whites or water will help seal the lumpia. Fry the lumpizzas in batches until golden brown. Do not forget to drain the excess oil, it will make the lumpia soggy. Transfer the lumpizzas in a serving plate. You can serve it with your chosen dip or you can eat it on its own because it’s actually already a total package! Enjoy lumpizzas with your friends and family. Definitely lumpizza-rap!
Lumpizza (Spring Roll Pizza)
1 cup ham slices
¼ cup green bell pepper, chopped
¼ cup white onion, chopped
¼ cup pizza sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup pineapple tidbits
egg white or water (for sealing the lumpia)
1 pack small lumpia wrapper
- Prepare the ham slices by frying until light brown. Chop into small squares.
- For the pizza filling, add the cooked ham, chopped green bell pepper, chopped onions, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and pineapple tidbits into a large bowl. Mix the ingredients until well-combined.
- Lay a piece of lumpia wrapper on a flat clean surface.
- Place a spoonful of pizza filling on one side of the lumpia wrapper. Wrap the lumpia carefully, making sure that the sides are sealed. Brush the other edge of the lumpia wrapper with egg white or water to secure the end.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Fry the lumpizza until golden brown. Transfer to a strainer or paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Serve with your chosen dip and enjoy!
Watch how to Cook Spring Roll Pizza
PAANO MAGLUTO NG LUMPIANG PIZZA
- 1 tasa ng ham slices
- ¼ tasa ng green bell pepper (hiniwa)
- ¼ tasa ng putting sibuyas (hiniwa)
- ¼ tasa ng pizza sauce
- 1 tasa ng mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 tasa ng pineapple tidbits
- puti ng itlog o tubig (para sa pagse-seal ng lumpia)
- 1 pack small lumpia wrapper
- Ihanda ang ham slices. Iprito ang mga ito hanggang maging light brown. Hiwain ito ng maliliit na squares.
- Para sa pizza filling, pagsamasamahin ang cooked ham, green bell pepper, sibuyas, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, at pineapple tidbits sa isang bowl at haluing mabuti.
- Maglagay ng isang lumpia wrapper sa isang flat surface.
- Maglagay ng isang kutsarang pizza filling sa isang side ng lumpia wrapper. I-roll ang lumpia wrapper ng dahan-dahan. Siguraduhing naisarado ang mga gilid nito. Magbrush ng konting puti ng itlog o tubig sa edge ng wrapper para magsara ito.
- Ulitin ang steps 3 at 4 hanggang magamit mo na ang lahat ng pizza filling at lumpia wrapper.
- Magpainit ng mantika sa isang kawali. Iprito ang lumpizza hanggang maging golden brown. Ilipat ang mga ito sa isang strainer o paper towel para tumulo ang sobrang mantika.
- I-serve ang lumpizza kasama ng napiling dip at i-enjoy!