Bored of the plain old simply fried tanigue steaks? Let’s bring them to life by smothering them with some garlicky and buttery special sauce! Fresh ocean taste with contrasting flavors from the earthly garlic and butter– instant gourmet dish (five star!). If you’re getting rid of your red meat, this fish dish is the best one for you. Best served with some baby potatoes and crunchy broccoli. Full meal you say!
WHAT IS TANIGUE?
If you see a giant slab of fish meat in the market, there is a big chance it is the tanigue fish. The tanigue, or Spanish mackerel, is a large type of saltwater fish which are now commercially farmed for its meat. It shares the same family with the tuna and bonito, the Scombridae family of fishes.
Tanigue can be made into different dishes like paksiw, bistek, grilled, kilawin and many more. In the recipe featured in this article, we will make use of the gigantic flesh of the tanigue and turn it into garlicky and buttery fish steak.
GARLIC BUTTER TANIGUE
If you haven’t thought of a recipe for your tanigue, try some garlic butter tanigue!
As we all know, giant slabs of fish do not come as appetizing when compared to a giant slab of meat. And adding sauces is a great way to bring the fish into life! (not literally).
During the days where I feel too sinful, (a.k.a ate too many red meats), I usually replace my protein source with either fish or chicken (Yay for white meat!). Since I love thick beef steaks and really cannot ease the craving inside of me, I usually buy a large slab of tanigue and cook it similar to a steak.
Even though fishes and meats really do not taste the same, the butter garlic sauce really completes “steak” experience. At least after eating this fish steak, I do not feel much guilty.
If you’re looking for a meat alternative, try the tanigue fish! If you wanna know how to make some garlic butter tanigue, read and follow the simple recipes below. Happy cooking!
HOW TO MAKE GARLIC BUTTER TANIGUE
Garlic butter tanigue is super easy and straightforward to make. You might notice that in all steaks, it always comes with some carbs and veggies. In this recipe, I will also share two of the best partners of our tanigue steak– baby potatoes and broccoli.
Let’s start with marinating the tanigue. The simple salt, pepper and lemon juice will already make a big difference than without marination.
While the fish is marination, lets prepare the baby potatoes. You can actually just use a large potato and then cut them into small pieces, but baby potatoes are much fancier to a steak dish. Too cook the baby potatoes, simply boil them until tender.
For the broccoli florets, we still want them a bit crunchy in the plate. Blanch the broccoli for a few minutes, just enough to brighten its color and keep it crunchy but cooked.
The garlic butter sauce is the highlight of the dish. Simply saute the garlic lightly in melted butter. To make it extra special, lets add some dried oregano powder. You can add other herbs and spices you like, just do not overpower the buttery flavor. Set aside some of this sauce.
Stir fry the broccoli and potatoes into the garlic butter sauce. Fry the marinated fish just how you fry other fishes. Since we are talking about a thick slab of fish, it is always better to check the internal temperature to know if it is cooked through.
The last thing to do is arranging the three food items to your plate. Pour the rest of the garlic butter sauce. Very fulfilling for a whole meal! Happy eating!
Garlic Butter TanigueCourse: Fish Recipes
3 slices (600 grams) tanigue steak
1 cup baby potatoes
1/3 cup brocolli florets
5 cloves of garlic
3 tablespoons of butter
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano powder (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and prepare the tanigue steak. Rub both sides with salt and pepper. Squeeze some lemon juice and massage the fish for a few minutes. Do the same steps with the other side. Let them marinate for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Pour a lot of water in a pot and bring to a boil. Add the baby potatoes and let them cook for around 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, check if they are fork tender. Strain the potatoes and set aside.
- Using the same pot of water, blach the brocolli florets for around 2 minutes. Strain the florets and transfer to a bowl with water and ice to stop the cooking process.
- Heat some oil in a another pan. Fry the tanigue steaks. FLip to fry the other side. When both sides are brown and crispy, remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan. Melt the butter. Add the garlic and saute until aromatic. Season with some black pepper. Sprinkle with some oregano powder. Stir well. Reserve half of this sauce mixture.
- Toss the baby potatoes to the remaining sauce in the pan. Make sure that they are all well coated with the sauce. Add the blanched brocolli florets.
- Arrange the tanigue steak to a serving plate. Plate the veggies well and pour the reserved sauce mixture. Enjoy the garlic butter tanigue with some hot steaming rice. Yum!
Garlic Butter Tanigue Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 3 hiwa (600 grams) ng tanigue
- 1 tasa ng baby potatoes
- 1/3 tasa ng brocolli florets
- 5 butil ng bawang
- 3 kutsara ng butter
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 kutsarita ng dried oregano powder (optional)
- Asin at paminta
- Ihanda ang mga hiwa ng tanigue. Pahiran ng asin at paminta ang parehong sides. Lagyan ng katas ng lemon ang tanigue at imassage ng konti. Imarinate ang mga ito ng 15 minuto. Isantabi.
- Magpakulo ng maraming tubig. Ilagay ang baby potatoes at lutuin ng 10 minuto hanggang lumambot.
- Pagkatapos ng 10 minuto, icheck kung malambot na ang baby potatoes. Alisin ang mga ito sa tubig at isantabi.
- Gamit ang parehong tubig na pinagpakuluan, iblanch ang brocolli ng 2 minuto. Alisin ang mga ito sa mainit na tubig at ilipat sa bowl na may lamang malamig na tubig at yelo.
- Magpainit ng mantika sa isa pang kawali. Iprito ang mga tanigue. Baliktarin ang mga ito para maluto ang kabilang side. Kapag parehas nang brown at crispy, alisin ang mga ito sa kawali at isantabi.
- Magpainit ng mantika at tunawin ang butter. Ilagay ang bawang at igisa hanggang maging mabango. Timplahan ng konting paminta at oregano powder. Haluin. Isantabi ang kalahati ng mixture na ito.
- Ilagay ang baby potatoes sa kawali at haluin para malagyan ng sauce. Sunod na ilagay ang brocolli florets at haluin.
- Iayos sa serving plate ang tanigue steak. I-plating ang baby potatoes at broccoli. Ibuhos ang sauce. Ihain ang garlic butter tanigue kasama ng mainit na kanin. Yum!