Chili Garlic Sauce is made with Chili, garlic, cooking oil and sugar. additionally salt, vinegar is added fro extra taste.
This homemade Chili Garlic sauce is really have the same flavour and taste of that spicy sauce served in south Asian, pinoy, Thai and Vietnamese restaurants. This yummy kitchen Chili Garlic sauce is very easy to make and only needs a few ingredients. This homemade chili garlic sauce is cooked with fresh ingredients without any preservatives.
Chili Garlic Sauce
If you are spicy lover like me, this homemade chili garlic sauce is perfect for you. Made with fresh chilies and garlic, this chili garlic oil would totally turn your boring dish into something hot and savory. This is perfect for dumplings, siomai, soups and other sautéed dishes.
I love to add some chili garlic sauce to my foods as it gives extra flavor especially on soups. The only problem is that most of store-bought chili garlic oil are too expensive. They usually come in a small bottle which can only last for a few days in our house since I am not the only one who loves it. So, the solution is to make my own homemade chili garlic sauce in larger batch.
How to Cook Chili Garlic Sauce
Cooking chili garlic sauce is pretty simple especially when you have the right equipment. I start by removing the stalks of the chilies and peeling the garlic. I make sure that I wear gloves when doing this as one time, I tried without gloves and I felt my skin and hand burning. Ouch! Lesson learned.
After peeling all the garlic and removing the chili stalks, time to put them in a blender. In this recipe, I used blender to make it even easier and more simple. Add cooking oil together with the garlic and chili and start blending it. I pulse it for the first few seconds then blend it until crushed and turned into tiny bits. I want my chili garlic oil with bits so I didn’t over blend it.
The harder part of making chili garlic oil is the cooking. Altho, it is pretty simple as letting it cooked in low medium heat, the cooking time might be a little longer depending on how much you are making. In this recipe, I cooked it for 40 minutes to get the right consistency and color of the sauce. Longer but low medium heat cooking would ensure longer shelf life without burning the chili and garlic. So the key here is PATIENCE.
Chili Garlic Sauce Recipe
Chili garlic sauce or chili garlic paste can be made in home with this chili garlic sauce recipe. If you are looking for how to make chili garlic sauce then this garlic chilli sauce recipe will help you to make homemade chili sauce. This is actually an asian garlic chili sauce and will be considered as hot chilly sauce. We are sure that this will teach you step by step how to make chili garlic sauce and you will get fresh and authentic garlic chili paste
Chili Garlic SauceCourse: Sauce
250 grams Chili (Siling Labuyo)
150 grams Garlic (3 large heads)
3 cups cooking oil
2 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon oyster sauce (optional)
- Wash the chilies then remove the stalks.
- Put the chilies in a blender. Add the garlic and cooking oil. Blend for a few seconds until it becomes tiny bits. Do not over-blend.
- After blending, pour in a large pan. Cook in low medium heat while stirring continuously. Cook for around 20 to 25 minutes until the chili changes color.
- Then, add the other ingredients. Add the sugar, salt, black pepper and oyster sauce. Stir until well blended. Then add vinegar. After adding vinegar, do not stir for 3 minutes. Just let it boil. This is to avoid “raw taste” of the vinegar.
- After 3 minutes, stir and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Once the chili and garlic is cooked, remove from heat and let it cool completely.
- Put in a clean dry jar with lid.
Watch how to cook chili garlic sauce
- For this recipe, the total cooking time is 40 minutes. For large batch, cooking time might be longer. I tried 500grams of chili before and the cooking time was 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Use plastic gloves when preparing the chili especially when making large batch.
- The shelf life of this chili garlic oil is around 3 to 6 months depending on the preparation and storage. When cooked right, you don’t have to put it in refrigerator.
- The salt and vinegar will serve as the preservative for this chili garlic sauce.
- The final outcome of this recipe might have darker color because the chili and garlic continue to get cooked even after removing from heat because the oil is still hot.
- If you don’t have blender, use mortar and pestle to crush the chilies and garlic. You can also chop them finely as alternative.