Bring in the heat with these delectably spicy and crispy finger lick’in goodness. Buffalo sauce isn’t just for chicken wings they’re a perfect sauce to drench your simple shrimps in to create a nice crispy upgraded shrimp dish with a kick. Serve them with ranch or blue cheese on the side with some celery stick for color. And enjoy this appetizer slash game or movie night snack at the comfort of your home.
What is Buffalo Sauce?
Buffalo sauce is a spicy seasoned sticky sauce made of hot sauce, butter, white vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne and garlic. This roasty almost smokey strong rich flavor is usually partnered with chicken wings. Buffalo sauce with chicken wings of Buffalo wings got its name from Buffalo, New York in a family owned restaurant called Anchor Bar where this snack was created. This bar owned by Franck and Teressa Bellissimo in 1939 is known as “the Home of the original Chicken Wing” the invention of the Chicken wings itself all came about due to a mishap.
The stories goes that in around 1964, the Bellissimos received a large delivery of chicken wings instead of the necks, backs and other parts that they were awaiting. Instead of wasting them, Teressa decided to try and find a way to use the excess chicken wings. She ended up broiling the wings and smothering them with the spicy sauce she made from scratch. She then served the snack in a tray with a side of blue cheese dressing and celery sticks. It was their son Dominic who suggested presenting the idea to their mostly Catholic customers on a busy Friday evening. In that time some Catholics traditionally only ate fish and vegetables on Fridays, so the idea of presenting the dish out for many to try seemed like a great idea. It became an instant hit. Soon the hot chicken wings became a part or the menu and were generally associated with the Anchor Bar. An after it became a popular food trend which was then shared and sold in many restaurants and fast food chains all over the United States. One of the biggest reason on how the Buffalo or wings became popular is from the Super Bowl where the Buffalo Football team made it into during 1990-1993, the media outlets covering the team also covered local dishes where the spicy chicken wings already called Buffalo Wings at that time was featured. After that the phenomena where football fans or sports fans alike eat this dish on game nights or when watching football. The popularity of the trend didn’t stop there. As usually new food combinations, reinventions and many more dishes that just catches someone’s eye or looks aesthetically pleasing, especially in social media the fad begins to boom more and reaches all over the world. It soon became a recipe tried by other food chains outside the United States having their own twist in it to suit their own flavor profile as well as use ingredients that are more readily available. You’ll be sure to find chicken wings in many bars, parties, potlucks, and restaurants today.
The Buffalo Shrimp
Similar to the Buffalo wings, this version is instead made of shrimp coated with ingredients easily found at home like eggs as binders, salt and pepper as a simple seasoning, flour, cornstarch, baking powder, for crispiness, calamansi juice just to add that fresh taste on the shrimp, paprika garlic powder for extra flavor, and for the simplified buffalo sauce, just mix together butter, garlic, ketchup, brown sugar, and soy sauce till it thickens. Ready to be tossed around with the shrimp t give it some color and a lot more flavor.
This is so quick and easy to prepare, the perfect combination off sweet and spicy that each bite just takes you to heaven.
Buffalo ShrimpCourse: Snacks, AppetizersCuisine: American
The Perfect finger food for parties and game nights
½ kilo shrimp
2 tablespoons calamansi juice
1 egg beaten
2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon ground pepper
½ cup all purpose flour
½ cup cornstarch
2 teaspoon paprika (or chili powder)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoon butter
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
½ cup ketchup
1 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon spring onion (chopped)
- Clean, devein, and remove the head and shell of the shrimp.
- Season these with 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, calamansi juice. Then mix in a beaten egg. Set aside and let this marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- In a new bowl, mix all purpose flour, cornstarch, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, paprika, garlic powder, baking powder till well combined.
- Coat the marinated shrimp one by one and shake of any excess flour. Repeat till all the shrimps are coated.
- In a pan at medium heat with oil at 330°F or 165°C. Deep-fry the coated shrimps for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Take them off the heat and place them on a strainer to drain any excess oil.
- In a new pan at low to medium heat, melt butter, sauté garlic till aromatic, add ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce and mix till the sauce turns thick.
- Add the fried shrimp in and toss these around to make sure everything is coated with the sauce.
- Take these off the heat, garnish with spring onions and serve.
A nice easy way to replace chicken wings when you love the sauce but cant eat chicken or have already had too much chicken over the week. It only takes a few minutes to make this game day or pretty appetizer dish. This recipe isn’t overly complicated to make. You can dress it down of dress it up depending on how you want to take this recipe. Use it as a base and make it your own.
Buffalo Shrimp recipe (tagalog)
- ½ kilo hipon
- 2 kutsarang Kalamansi juice
- 1 itlog (na binati)
- 2 kutsaritang asin
- 2 kutsaritang binudbod
- ½ tasa harina
- ½ tasa cornstarch
- 2 kutsaritang paprika (o chili powder)
- 1 kutsaritang garlic powder
- ½ kutsaritang baking powder
- 2 kutsaritang mantikilya
- 3 butil ng bawang (tadtad)
- ½ tasa ketchup
- 1 kutsaritang kayumangging asukal
- 1 kutsaritang soy sauce
- 1 kutsaritang dahon ng sibuyas (tadtad)
- Linisin, tangalan ng ugat, ulo at kabibi ng hipon.
- Haluan ng 1 kutsaritang asin, 1 kutsaritang paminta, kalamansi juice. Lagyan ng itlog. Itabi ng 15-30 na minuto.
- Sa ibang mangkok, haluin ang harina, cornstarch, 1 kutsaritang asin, 1 kutsaritang paminta, paprika, garlic powder, baking powder.
- Isa isang ipahid ang hipon sa hinalong harina at tapikin ng konti para matanggal ang sobrang harina. Ulitin hanggang lahat ng hipon ay natakpan na ng harina.
- Sa kawali na may katamtamang init at mantika ng 330°F o 165°C. iprito ang mga hipon ng 5 minuto o hanggang mag kayumanggi ang kulay nito. Tanggalin at itabi ito sa salaam para matanggal ang sobrang mantika.
- Sa panibagong kawali na may katamtamang init, tunawin ang mantikilya, lutuin ang bawang hanggang mabango, idagdag ng ketchup, kayumangging asukal, soy sauce, ihalo hanggang kumapal.
- Idagdad ang pritong hipon at haluin hanggang natakpan ang mga hipon ng sauce.
- Tanggalin sa init, dekorasyonan ng dahon ng sibuyas at ihanda.