Craving for a classical merienda? Banana Fritters or Maruya are an easy, speedy, plus nutritious snack recipe to consider. With ingredients of bananas, flour, baking powder, eggs, milk, and sweeteners, you’ll have your tummy satisfied!
Banana Fritters (Maruya)
Banana Fritters are a very popular street food in town. It is made of mashed bananas mixed with batter and fried into a golden confection. Together with Banana cue, Kamote cue, Turon, and Cascaron, they make a powerful group of street food options. Banana fritters or Maruya is my favorite finger food to buy among the other snack obsessions that are prettily arranged on a winnowing basket.
The Philippines is full of rich recipes and delicacies, there you can observe vendors peddling a variety of afternoon snacks or merienda in the streets. That is why 3 o’clock in the afternoon became my favorite part of the day because I get to spoil myself with these light meals in scattered stores and walking vendors everywhere. And banana fritters is one of my favorites!
How to Make Banana Fritters (Maruya)
With the affordable ingredients and a clear recipe guide, there is not much to worry about making Banana Fritters. There are a variety of bananas, make sure to buy the saba kind to perfect your Banana fritters.
To start, combine the mashed bananas with sugar and mix until the ingredients become smooth and uniform in texture. Fold the baking powder, flour, and salt into the banana mixture portion at a time. This will prevent uneven distribution of the ingredients. Then, add the beaten egg, milk, and vanilla extract. Mix well and the batter is all set for cooking.
For the frying part, heat the pan over low medium heat. Add oil or butter and carefully pour down the banana fritters batter. The size really depends on you, be it either cute-sized or a large one. Flip to cook each side evenly until it is entirely golden brown. Make sure to strain first the excess oil using a colander or tissue-lined container before transferring onto a plate. You do not want an extra oily banana fritters to uncomfortably grease your mouth. Enjoy!
Banana Fritters or Maruya are an easy, speedy, plus nutritious snack recipe to consider. With just a few ingredients, you’ll have your tummy satisfied!
6 pcs. ripe saba banana (mashed)
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 cup fresh milk (evaporated milk or water)
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Mash the bananas using a fork or masher. No need to mash it too much, I prefer it to have a bits and pieces.
- Then, add sugar and mix until it becomes uniform in texture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir well. Add this mixture, portion at a time, into the banana mixture while continuously folding and mixing.
- Then, add milk and vanilla extract. Add the beaten egg and continue stirring until well-combined.
- Heat the pan over low-medium heat then grease it with oil or butter. Scoop some of the banana batter into the pan. Cook until it turns golden brown. When one side browns, flip to cook the other side.
- Transfer the fried Banana Fritters onto a paper-lined plate or simply on a cooking rack to discard the excessive oil. Sprinkle some granulated sugar.
- Enjoy with hot coffee, chocolate or cold drinks. Yum!