Saba Banana chips, also called banana crisps are that irresistibly sweet and crunchy fruity finger food that can be found almost everywhere from grocery stores to small stalls, and now many have started deep frying or baking these delicious delicacy at home to enjoy or to start a business.
Banana chips history
The Philippines have a fondness for Saba banana chips or almost anything with bananas. So much so that it produces 6% of the bananas eaten worldwide and has been ranked as the top 4 producer of bananas behind India, Uganda, and China respectively. Bananas, typically Cardaba bananas from Mindanao are used to create bigger and crispier banana crisps because these are starchier. While most Filipinos have fond memories of these being childhood snacks, there are many other countries that have their on version of banana chips commonly flavored with sugar, with some using honey, powdered cheese, some even add wasabi powder, and other savory combinations.
The Philippines is the main exporter of banana chips worldwide. These are typically bought by many locals or OFWs as a souvenir or just for snacking. These small little bites of happiness can actually be made in the comfort of your own home. How to make crispy banana chips at home? Saba Banana chips ingredients are composed of just 5 ingredients; your choice of banana, in this recipe we are using saba as these are easier to find, sliced manually using a knife, grater or machine. Fried once by batches till a bit crisp, cooled then fried a second time with a sugar-vinegar concoction that will really help bring out the sweetness and stronger natural banana taste, these are fried till golden, cooled, then served ready to enjoy!
Can you make saba banana chips without frying?
You can actually make saba banana chips without the use of frying in oil, these can still leave you with a nice crunch but the oil/fried version might come out sweeter, has a more intense flavor, and will keep its crispiness longer.
- Other options are to make baked banana chips using an oven, these might need quite a lot of time in the oven, there is also need to make sure to flip them around often.
- You can also make banana chips in an air fryer which will be easier than an oven as these will turn out crispier though less sweet and flavorful.
- Dehydrated banana chips are getting popular in the recent months. Though it might take some time to ‘cook’ overnight, and it would be best to buy a bigger dehydrator to create more chips if you would like to make these for business.
Are banana chips good for you?
Are banana chips healthy? While most health conscious people just like to snack on something deemed healthy, these chips fried or baked are actually still great as a nutritious snack. Though it is better to be more cautious to eat only a good amount as these still contain some sugar. Banana chips calories per serving of 100 grams can go up to 500 calories. Still these are still good for many reasons compared to the usual junk food like fried potato chips. The Banana chips benefits such as having good saturated fats, fiber to help with constipation and the digestive system, potassium for the muscles and to support blood pressure. makes them a better choice for those who are looking for a healthier option.
Can banana chips be eaten during pregnancy? While it is still healthy, many do not recommend expecting mother to eat too much of these as it still has a big amount of sugar.
Can dogs eat banana chips? Yes, as long as these are chips made without any artificial flavorings or sweeteners. It is safe to feed dogs or cats as a treat. it also gives them a bit of the benefits usual bananas can give.
Saba Banana ChipsCourse: SnacksCuisine: Filipino
a quick healthy but still delicious snack to munch on
3 – 5 very unripe Saba bananas
oil for frying
1/4 or 1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup water
- Wash the unripe saba bananas before peeling. Make sure these are still hard to make them easier to slice thinly.
- Slice both ends to make it easier to peel each banana. Place them in a bowl of water to keep from browning/discoloring.
- Use a mandoline slicer, grater, or knife to slice the bananas as thin or as thick as you like. The thinner it is the faster it will cook. place these back in water.
- Prepare a stove at medium heat, place a pot and enough oil to fill 1″ high. Add the bananas in batches and cook till it feels a bit hard and looks more yellow.
- Cool in a strainer to remove any excess oil. Toss it around to keep it from sticking to each other.
- Make the sugar mixture by mixing the sugar, vinegar, and water till sugar dissolves.
- Back in the stove (refill with oil if needed) now at medium low heat, add in the bananas by batches.
- Cook for a minute before pouring 1/3 cup of the sugar mixture. Take a few steps back to avoid any oil spills.
- Once it calms down give it a few stirs, remove and place these back in the strainer once golden.
- Repeat till all the bananas are cooked. Toss these around or separate using your hands, let it cool for a little bit before serving.
Paano lutuin ang Saba Banana Chips
- 3 – 5 hilaw na saba
- 1/4 o 1/3 baso ng asukal
- 1/3 baso ng puting suka
- 1/3 baso ng tubig
- Hugasin ang mga saba bago balatan. Siguraduhing matigas pa ang mga ito para mas mabilis hiwain mamaya.
- Hiwain ang magkabilaang dulo para masmabili tanggalin ito ng balat. Ilagay sa mangkok na may tubig para hindi mangiba ng kulay.
- Gamit ang mandoline slicer, grater, o kutsilyo para hiwain ang mga saba ng manipis o makapal, depende sa gusto mo. Mas mabilis lutuin ang masmanipis, ibalik ang mga ito sa tubig.
- Ihanda ang kalan na may katamtamang init, punuin ng 1″ ng mantika ang malaking kawali. Ilgay ng grupo-grupo ang mga saba at lutuin hanggang maramdaman na matigas ito ng konti o lumakas ang pagkakulay dilaw nito.
- Palamigin sa salaan para ding tanggalin ang natitirang mantika. Iitsa ng konti para di ito dumikit sa isat-isa. Palamigin.
- Gawin ang ipapanghalo na asukal, haluin ang asukal, suka, at tubig hanggal matunaw ang asukal.
- Balikan ang kawali at ilagay ang init sa mababang init. Iluto ang mga saging ng grupo-grupo.
- Lutuin ng isang minuto bago ilagay ang 1/3 na baso ng ihinalong asukal. Tumalikod ng ilang hakbang para maiwasan ang mga pagtatagas ng langis.
- Pagkumalma na ito, haluin ng konti and itanggal at ibalik sa salaan pag nagkulay malaginto.
- Ulitin hanggang naluti na ang lahat ng saba. Iista ito o gamit ang mga kamay tanggalin ang mga dikit dikit na saba. palamigin ng konti bago i-serve.