Sweet Potato Delight is a Filipino kakanin is made with sweet potato, all purpose cream, condensed milk, butter, grated cheese, salt and topped with cheese. The cheese sweet potato delight (camote delight) is definitely the dessert you never thought you wanted. Made with the freshest ingredients from your garden. Super cheesy and creamy. Yum!
CHEESY SWEET POTATO DELIGHT
It’s sweet potato season! I am really proud to share with you that the sweet potatoes I have planted months ago is now full grown and ready to harvest! Sweet potatoes are one of the most awesome root crops but they are extra awesome when you are the one to plant, water and harvest.
Since I am always cooking veggies, my lolo asked me if I wanna know how to grow certain veggies and root crops so I’d spend less on ingredients. I hesitated at first because I have no “green thumb” ever since. (Green thumb = has a lot of ability to grow plants). Remember every kid’s science project on planting monggo seeds and waiting for them to turn into sprouts? MINE NEVER SPROUTED!!
My lolo was very eager to teach me how to plant my own veggies. So.. okay I really tried this time. #HopingForTheBest And with his guidance, I was able to grow my own sweet potatoes!
I dedicate this recipe to my lolo, who never forgets to remind me to water my sweet potatoes.
My lolo is also a fan of sweet treats, so I thought of making my sweet potatoes a sweet snack which he can partner with his afternoon coffee. Cheesy sweet potato delight would surely be the right one.
After I finished my cheesy sweet potato delight, I planted another set of sweet potatoes so there will be another batch of cheesy sweet potato delight in the future! Glad to share that I am now more confident in planting and would try to plant other veggies and rootcrops.
If you wanna know how to make some cheesy sweet potato delight, read and follow the simple steps below. Happy cooking!
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY SWEET POTATO DELIGHT
Making some cheesy sweet potato delight is super fun, especially when the steps on how to make it involves actual garden harvesting. It’s sweet potato season so this recipe really excites me!
Gather your sweet potatoes from the garden or grab some from the market or grocery. Let’s be honest, most root crops are lookalike. To make sure that you are getting the right one, look for the one with a lightly white to orange skin. To check, the flesh must also be yellow.
Wash them thoroughly by scrubbing the skin a little to remove the soil. Peel them, boil them and then mash them. They boil faster when cut in chunks than putting them whole in boiling water. You can use fork or potato masher to facilitate easier mashing.
To make the cheesy sauce, start with the milk base. In this recipe, I used all purpose cream and condensed milk. Add the cheese of your choice and melt them in the sauce. Do a taste test and add the other seasonings you like. You can also add some grated mozzarella cheese for some ooey gooey action for later! Just remember to use low heat to prevent the milk from scorching.
The next thing to do is to combine the cheese sauce and the mashed sweet potatoes prepared earlier. Before that, reserve some of the cheese sauce for toppings. Mix mix mix until the sauce dries up. You will end up with a sticky and smooth mixture. Transfer the mixture to a container and then add the toppings. If you want to sell this, you can roll the mixture into a ball and then put in cupcake molders.
This treat can be eaten right away but is best when chilled. Serve this as a dessert or a snack. Enjoy!
Cheesy Sweet Potato DelightCourse: Desserts, Snacks
1 kilo sweet potato
1 cup all purpose cream
1 cup condensed milk
3 tablespoons of butter (or margarine)
½ teaspoon of salt
¼ cup grated cheese
extra cheese (for toppings)
- Peel the sweet potato carefully and then slice into small chunks. Soak them in water to prevent from darkening.
- Transfer the sweet potato to a pot and add enough water to cover them. Cover the pan and allow them to cook until soft and tender.
- Do the fork test to check if they are tender. Transfer them to a bowl and then mash them gently using a fork. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add the all purpose cream and condensed milk. Mix until well combined. Let it cook using low heat until thickened.
- Sprinkle some salt and then add the grated cheese. Stir gently to melt the cheese. Once the sauce becomes thicker, reserve around ½ cup of the sauce for toppings.
- Add the mashed sweet potatoes in the sauce and then mix until well combined. Continue cooking using low heat until the sauce dries up and the mixture becomes sticky and smooth.
- Transfer the sweet potato mixture to a greased container. Flatten the top using a spatula. Let this chill for around an hour.
- Spread the reserved creamy sauce over the mixture. Top with more grated cheese.
- Slice the cheesy sweet potato delight and enjoy together with your afternoon tea or coffee. Yum!
Cheesy Sweet Potato Delight Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 kilo sweet potato
- 1 tasa ng all purpose cream
- 1 tasa ng condensed milk
- 3 kutsara ng butter (o margarine)
- ½ kutsarita ng asin
- ¼ tasa ng cheese (grated)
- extra cheese (pang toppings)
- Linisin ito ng mabuti ang mga kamote. Balatan ang mga ito at hiwain sa maliliit na chunks. Ibabad ito sa tubig para hindi mangitim.
- Ilipat ang mga sweet potato sa pot at lagyan ng tubig. Takpan ang pot at hayaan itong maluto hanggang lumambot.
- Gawin and fork test para malaman kung malambot na ang mga sweet potato. Ilipat ang mga ito sa bowl at durugin gamit ang tinidor. Isantabi.
- Tunawin ang butter sa kawali. Ilagay ang all purpose cream at condensed milk. Haluin ng mabuti. Hayaan itong maluto gamit ang mahinang apoy hanggang maging malapot.
- Timplahan ito ng asin saka ilagay ang grated cheese. Haluin ito para matunaw ang cheese. Kapag malapot na ang sauce, magtabi ng 1/2 cup ng sauce (pang toppings).
- Ilagay ang dinurog na sweet potato sa sauce at haluin nang mabuti. Lutuin lang ito gamit ang mahinang apoy hanggang matuyo na ang sauce at maging smooth at malagkit ang mixture.
- Ilipat ang sweet potato mixture sa lalagyan na may butter. I-flatten ang ibabaw nito gamit ang spatula. Palamigin ang mixture ng 1 oras.
- Ispread sa ibabaw ng pinalamig na mixture ang creamy sauce. Budburan pa ito ng marami pang grated cheese.
- Kumuha ng slice ng cheesy sweet potato delight. Samahan ito ng mainit na kape o tsaa. Enjoy!