Ube Turon Malagkit is a yummy, sticky rice snack wrapped in spring roll wrappers and coated with sweet caramel. Glutinous rice (also known ad sticky rice or Malagkit na bigas in Tagalog) is such a versatile ingredient and different delicacies can be cooked out of it. One to those is this trending turon Malagkit.
Turon malagkit has been so popular nowadays. With the pandemic going on, people are looking for some ways to reinvent their ingredients and experiment with new recipes. One of the outcome of those experiments is the turon malagkit. Basically, the sticky rice (malagkit rice) is cooked just like regular rice. Then, it is wrapped with lumpia wrapper or spring roll wrappers. After wrapping, the sticky rice will be deep-fried and coated with caramelized sugar.
This recipe has been a source of income for my fellow Filipinos. They sell this per piece or per tub. With the right costing, you can also make income with this recipe. See the recipe of Ube turon malagkit with costing below...
How to Cook Ube Turon Malagkit
Since turon malagkit has been so trending so as ube-flavored foods, I thought of making my own version of ube-flavored turon malagkit. Ube or purple yam is a very delicious root crop and used to make delicacies like ube halaya. Over the years, people have come up with different recipes with purple yam flavor. In this recipe, to make it taste like ube or purple yam, I use ube-flavored condensed milk. I also added some cheese as filling to balance the sweetness.
There are two ways to cook ube turon malagkit. First, you can use ube-flavored condensed milk. Second is by using ube flavoring. Also, you can either dip the fried turon malagkit in caramelized sugar or sprinkle the sugar to the turon malagkit while frying so it will caramelize as you fry.
Ube Turon Malagkit Recipe
The Ube Turon Malagkit is very popular and delicious item in Philippines. You can make a scrumptious Ube Turon Malagkit by following our recipe. Follow the below recipe step by step and you will delighted to see that you got the best Ube Turon Malagkit you ever tasted
Ube Turon MalagkitCourse: Filipino Recipes, For Business Recipes, Rice Recipes
Ube-flavored stick rice goodness wrapped in crunchy and sweet spring roll wrapper. It’s a delight in every bite!
1/2 kilo malagkit (around 2 cups)
1 can ube-flavored condensed milk (390g)
1 (140ml) evaporated milk
2 tablespoon margarine
2 1/2 cups water
Lumpia wrapper (50 pieces small)
10 tablespoon sugar (for coating)
oil for frying
Cheese (cut into strips, for filling)
- Wash the glutinous rice and rinse well. Put in a pot then, add evaporated milk and water. Cover and cook in medium low heat. (just like cooking regular rice).
- When cooked, transfer the glutinous rice in a large pan. Add the ube condensed milk and margarine. Cook in low heat while stirring occasionally until the mixture becomes sticky and hard to stir. Once cooked, set aside and let it cool completely.
- After cooking the cooked sticky rice, time to wrap. Put around 1 tablespoon of sticky rice mixture in one end of the lumpia wrapper. Spread and form into a log. Add filling, I put cheese strip. Roll and wrap the mixture. Seal the ends with water. Do the same thing rest of the mixture.
- Heat some oil in a pan for deep-frying. Then, fry the wrapped sticky rice until golden brown. Sprinkle some sugar and wait until it caramelizes and coat the fried stick rice.
- After frying, put in a wire rack to drip excess oil and to keep the wrapper crunchy. Enjoy!
Watch how to cook ube turon malagkit
Ube Turon Malagkit with Costing
INGREDIENTS (YIELD: 50 PCS. around 1 tbsp scoop)
- 1/2 kilo malagkit (around 2 cups) = 45.00
- 1 ube-flavored condensed milk = 34.00
- 1 (140ml) evaporated milk = 12.00
- 2 tbsp margarine = 5.00
- wrapper (50 pcs. small) = 25.00
- Sugar (for coating) 10 tbsp = 10.00
- oil for frying = 20.00
- Cheese (3/4 box)Daily Quezo = 28.00
*Plus other costs like transpo, gas, packaging: 30.00
PUHUNAN= 209 php ÷ 50 pcs = 4.18
SRP: 4.18 + 50% (tubo) = 6.27 php
- Ang mga prices ng ingredients ay pwedeng magkaiba iba depende kung gaano karami ang binili, sa brand ng item at kung saan binili. Ang mga prices na nakaindicate sa taas ay ang actual na presyo ng mga ingredients na ginamit ko sa recipe na ito.
- Dine sa amin, may nagbebenta nito na nasa microwave tub and pinepresyuhan ng per container (let’s say 6pcs. 40 to 50 pesos). Pwede rin naman tingi, pwedeng presyuhan hanggang 7 to 8 pesos. Nasa inyo na po kung paano nio pepresyuhan or ipapackage.
- Maaari din gumamit ng ube flavoring sa recipe na ito. For this recipe, use around 1 to 2 tablespoon of ube flavoring then add some sugar to the glutinous rice while cooking.