Find true love with this smooth and creamy kakanin in one! Your favorite biko is heavenly flavored with the classic ube and is topped with some creamy and milky custard flan on top. No need to look for some sweet palate cleanser than this one. And take note, this biko is ube in flavor! Try this treat today!
WHAT IS BIKO?
Biko is a type of kakanin or rice cake which is very popular in the market. With the variety of all the kakanins in this beautiful country, kakanins might sometimes be confusing.If you see a kakanin which literally looks like cooked sticky rice, then that is the biko. The biko is usually brown in color and is topped with latik.
UBE BIKO WITH CUSTARD FLAN
Biko is one of my favorite kakanin ever since I was a child. The child me said that biko lived up the name “kakanin” because you can literally see the rice grains in there! Until now, biko is one of my top choices when buying some kakanins in the market.
We usually go market shopping whenever I go to Batangas to visit some of my relatives. Of course, the kakanin lane is a must. At first, there was a bit of confusion between me and ateng tindera as “sinukmani” is the term they use in Batangas for biko. Ever since this happened, I make sure I activate my Batangueno language every time I go there.
With the popularity of the biko, this kakanin has now evolved into different classic flavors like ube and pandan. Is ube one of your favorite flavors? In this recipe, you will know how to make the ube variant of the biko.
But wait. There’s more! This biko is not just ube in flavor. It is topped with your favorite leche flan! Two favorites in one! Instead of the usual latik, this ube biko is topped with some smooth and creamy custard flan.
I usually make a small container of biko for meryenda purposes. This kakanin truly is a great partner for your afternoon tea or coffee. If you wanna know how to make some ube biko with custard flan, read and follow the simple recipe below. Happy cooking!
HOW TO MAKE UBE BIKO WITH CUSTARD FLAN
Making biko is easier than other kakanins you know. It may look tedious since you usually see them in large bilaos. But when you make a smaller batch, you’ll realize how easy this Pinoy sticky rice cake can be made.
For this sweet treat, the two components would be the biko and the custard flan.
Start with the biko. Prepare the glutinous rice and cook just how you cook your normal rice. Just look after the dish from time to time to prevent burning or having the bottom burnt (tutong). When the rice is ready, simply combine it with the heated ube coconut sauce. This mixture will be wet at first, but as you continue stirring, the rice will absorb the coconut sauce and you will end up with some purple sticky and thick mixture. Transfer the ube biko into a steamer-friendly container.
For the custard flan topping, the steps will be similar to making the classic leche flan. Simply combine the leche flan ingredients and strain for a few times to make sure that it will end up smooth and creamy. Pour this on top of the biko and then steam.
Steaming may take up to 1 hour, just enough for the custard flan to set. Do a taste test or the toothpick test to check this.
I used a round pan for this ube biko with custard flan recipe. After refrigerating for a few hours, this native kakanin with a twist can be a great substitute for a cake! If you’re gonna do this, make sure to experiment with more toppings. Yum!
Ube Biko with Custard FlanCourse: Desserts, Filipino Recipes
- For the ube biko:
4 cups glutinous rice
3 cups of water
800 mL of coconut milk
1 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
Ube food flavoring
- For the custard flan:
2 to 3 egg yolks
1 cup evaporated milk
2 cup condensed milk
- Wash the glutinous rice 3 times and then drain the water. Then, transfer to a rice cooker. Add 3 cups of water. Cook the rice. When the rice is cooked, stir gently to separate the grains a bit.
- Pour the coconut milk into a non stick pan. Add the sugar. Season with some salt. Add a few drops of ube flavoring. Stir until well mixed. Heat the coco mixture using medium heat until boiling.
- Once boiling, add the cooked glutinous rice. Stir until well combined. Continue stirring until the biko mixture becomes thick and sticky.
- Brush the round pan with some oil. Add the biko to the pan. Flatten the top using a spatula. Let it cool and set aside.
- For the custard, place the egg yolks in a bowl. Add the condensed milk and evaporated milk. Mix until well combined.
- Strain the mixture and then pour on top of the biko. Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Steam the biko with custard using medium low heat for 1 hour or until the flan has set.
- Remove the aluminum foil. Refrigerate the ube biko with custard flan and chill for 1 to 2 hours before serving. Serve this chilled with your afternoon tea or coffee. Enjoy!
Ube Biko with Custard Flan Recipe (TAGALOG)
Para sa ube biko:
- 4 tasa ng malagkita na bigas
- 3 tasa ng tubig
- 800 mL ng gata
- 1 tasa ng asukal
- 1/2 kutsarita ng asin
- ube food flavoring
Para sa custard flan:
- 2 – 3 pula ng itlog
- 1 tasa ng evaporated milk
- 2 tasa ng condensed milk
- Hugasan ang malagkit na bigas ng tatlong beses at itapon ang pinaghugasan. Ilipat ito sa rice cooker at lagyan ng 3 tasa ng tubig. Lutuin ang kanin. Kapag luto na, medyo halu haluin para maghiwahiwalay ang grains nito.
- Ilagay sa isang non stick pan ang gata at asukal. Timplahan ng konting asin at lagyan ng konting ube flavoring. Haluin ng mabuti. Pakuluan ang gata gamit ang katamtamang apoy hanggang kumulo.
- Kapag kumukulo na ang gata, ilagay ang malagkit na kanin. Haluin ng mabuti hanggang maging malapot at sticky ang biko.
- Ibrush ng mantika ang iyong round pa bago ilipat ang biko. Pantayin ang ibabaw nito gamit ang spatula. Palamigin muna ito ng konti at isantabi.
- Para sa custard, paghaluhaluin ang pula ng itlog, condensed milk at evaporated milk sa isang bowl. Haluin ng mabuti.
- I-strain ang mixture bago ibuhos sa ube biko. Balutan ng aluminum foil ang round pan.
- I-steam ang biko with custard flan gamit ang katamtamang mahinang apoy ng 1 oras o hanggang maluto ang custard flan.
- Alisin ang aluminum foil. Ilagay sa ref ang ube biko with custard flan at palamigin ng 1 to 2 hours bago ihain. Samahan ito ng iyong kape o tsaa. Yum!