Buko Pandan Jelly Dessert is a popular Filipino cooler and made with buko, buko juice, all purpose cream, condensed milk, tapioca pearl, nata de coco, pandan flavour and buko pandan gulaman powder. Sweeten up your day with the sweet and creamy buko pandan jelly dessert! This OG Filipino yummy treat will surely relax your tongue after a heavy and greasy meals. Di lang pang fiesta, pang personal rin sya!
BUKO PANDAN JELLY DESSERT
Aside from the fruit salad, buko pandan is another OG pinoy fiesta dessert. Buko pandan is quite a popular dessert due to its refreshing flavor, and also with the enjoyable feeling of different shapes and textures in the mouth.
When you go to any fiestahan or handaan and you do an attendance check, buko pandan jelly is always present. While it is most liked because of its creamy taste which relaxes the mouth from all the grease from other dishes, buko pandan is preferred also due to its ease of preparation. Jelly based desserts are usually done quickly and with minimal efforts needed.
HOW TO COOK BUKO PANDAN JELLY DESSERT
As the name suggests, this dessert will have both the buko and pandan as its major flavors. Since this dessert is a jelly-based one, you can already know that this would be an easy peasy one.
So lets start by making the jelly. Instead of using plain water, I usually buy some buko juice for my buko pandan jelly. Although the taste of the buko juice is light, the natural sweetness from the buko will add a distinct freshness to the jelly. But if buko is not available, it is always free to use plain water for the jelly.
Unlike the package instructions at the back of the jelly, I usually use just 5 cups of liquid for my jelly. The resulting jelly will be soft but still firm. Cooking jelly really is a very simple process of dissolving the powder and waiting for the liquid to boil. Once my jelly are cooked, I divide them into two trays. This is for the reason that I cut one part of my jelly into cubes and the other part into jelly strings. (I also needed firm jelly so that they will be easily shredded for later). I shred some of the jelly for added texture.
When the jellies are done, grab another pot and cook your tapioca pearls. You can also opt to buy the already cooked ones if that’s whats available. Cooking tapioca pearls is simply boiling them until they become translucent. Don’t forget to stir the pearls from time to time as they have the tendency to stick to one another. After minutes of cooking, the center of the pearls might still be white. The technique is to pour some cold water (gradually) while stirring them. Let the cooked tapioca pearls swim in cold water until they are ready to be mixed in the dessert.
Now that all ingredients are ready, the last part and the most exciting one would be combining them all in a large bowl (You can add some cheese cubes too!). Just remember, the creamier, the better! Chill them before serving. Yum!
Aside from eating this as a chilled dessert, you can actually convert this to a sweet drink by slightly diluting the cream with either cold water or evaporated milk and then adding some ice. Best for the summer!
Buko Pandan Jelly DessertCourse: Desserts
2 cups shredded young coconut (buko)
1 sachet (25 g) buko pandan gulaman powder
5 cups buko juice (or plain water)
2 cups all purpose cream
1 cup condensed milk
½ cup uncooked tapioca pearls
1 cup nata de coco
Few drops of pandan flavor
- Pour the buko juice in a pot. Add the gulaman powder (buko pandan flavor) and sugar. Stir gently until well dissolved. Heat the mixture until boiling. Stir gently and watch out for spillage.
- Once boiling, remove from the heat. Transfer the mixture to a tray or container. Let it cool and set completely.
- In another pot, add some water and let it boil. Add the tapioca pearls. Stir them from time to time to prevent them from sticking to one another. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 15 minutes using low medium heat.
- After 15 minutes, you will still see the white part in the middle. To cook it through, pour some cold water gradually while stirring. It will now become translucent.
- Let the cooked tapioca pearls soaked in cold water until use.
- Grab your firm jelly. Cut half of them into cubes while grate the other half using a coconut grater to create jelly strings. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the shredded young coconut, nata de coco, jelly cubes, jelly strings and tapioca pearls. Mix until well combined.
- Next, pour the all purpose cream and condensed milk. Mix until well combined. Add a few drops of pandan flavor extract (optional). Cover the dessert with a cling wrap. Let it chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Serve the buko pandan jelly and enjoy it chilled!
Buko Pandan Jelly Dessert Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 2 tasa ng kinayod na buko
- 1 sachet (25 g) ng buko pandan gulaman powder
- 5 tasa ng buko juice (o water)
- 2 tasa ng all purpose cream
- 1 tasa ng condensed milk
½ tasa ng sago (hilaw)
- 1 tasa ng nata de coco
- Ilang drops ng pandan flavor
- Ilagay ang buko juice sa pot. Ilagay ang gulaman powder (buko pandan flavor) at asukal. Haluin hanggang matunaw ang asukal at saka pakuluan. Haluin habang niluluto.
- Kapag kumukulo na, patayin ang apoy. Hatiin ang mixture at ilagay sa mga trays o container. Hayaan itong lumamig at tumigas.
- Sa isa pang pot, magpakulo ng tubig. Ilagay ang mga hilaw na sago. Haluin ito maya’t maya para hindi magdikit dikit. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan ito maluto ng 15 minutes gamit ang mababang katamtamang apoy.
- Pagkatapos ng 15 minutes, meron paring puti ang gitna ng mga sago. Para maluto ito, maglagay ng malamig na tubig (paunti unti) habang hinahalo.
- Hayaang nakababad sa tubig ang mga sago hanggang bago gamitin.
- Kunin ang jelly. Hatiin ang kalahati ng jelly sa cubes at igrate naman ang kalahati gamit ang coconut grater para makagawa ng jelly strings. Isantabi.
- Sa malaking bowl, ilagay ang kinayod na buko, nata de coco, jelly cubes, jelly strings, at sago. Haluin ng mabuti.
- Sunod na ilagay ng all purpose cream at condensed milk. Haluin ng mabuti. Maglagay ng onting patak ng pandan flavor extract (optional). Takpan ng plastic wrap ang bowl bago palamigin sa ref ng 4 hours bago iserve.
- Ihain ang ang buko pandan jelly nang malamig. Enjoy!