This Fruit salad is a ice-cream salad made with canned fruit cocktail, shredded young coconut, nata de coco, kaong, whole corn kernels, raisins and cheese, bathed in a deliciously sweet and creamy dressing made of all purpose cream and condensed milk. No celebration is complete without the almost-frozen sweet and creamy fruit salad. The medley of fruits and cream will surely tickle your tongue!
FILIPINO STYLE FRUIT SALAD
Days before the holiday season, our family conducts the “bunutan” session where one will pick which dish he/she will cook and prepare. It was actually an unfair game for me because whatever the dish I picked, it was always the fruit salad which will be assigned to me. (HAHAHA)
One of the easiest and effortless holiday dish for us Filipinos is the fruit salad. If you will search “fruit salad” in the internet, it will simply give you recipes which presents different medley of fruits in a bowl. But for us Filipinos, the basic concept of the dish is mixing any fruit you like and then cover them in sweet cream. That’s it.
With the existence of canned fruit cocktails, this sweet dessert became much much much easier than ever. Most of the time it is made just with the canned fruit cocktail, condensed milk and cream. If you have extra budget and want to make it more special, add some shredded buko, kaong, nata de coco, and even sliced apples. This dessert is also the most flexible salad in the world because as long as it is a fruit, you can add them to this dish.
HOW TO PREPARE
If you’re a starter in making food, the least you can do is to try to make a fruit salad. It is simply combining any fruit you like and the sweetened cream and then chilling them before serving. You can simply use the canned fruit cocktail, or for a more customized version, slice up your favorite fruits and combine them into a fresh and healthy dessert.
Fruits from the canned fruit cocktails are already enough, but you can also add other sweet ingredients like kaong, nata de coco, sago and shredded buko. Just remember to chill them first before serving!
Filipino-style Fruit SaladCourse: Desserts
1 can (836 grams) fruit cocktail
1 1/2 cup shredded buko
1 cup nata de coco
1 cup kaong
1/2 cup whole corn kernels (optional)
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup cheese (diced)
2 cups all purpose cream
1 cup condensed milk
- Open the fruit cocktail can. Drain and separate the fruits from the syrup. Next, drain the nata de coco and kaong.
- In a large bowl, combine the fruit cocktail, nata de coco, kaong, shredded coconut, whole corn kernels, raisins and diced cheese. Stir them gently until the ingredients are well distributed.
- Add the all purpose cream and the condensed milk. Stir gently until well combined.
- Chill it for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Transfer some of the fruit salad to your bowl and enjoy while chilled! Yum!
Filipino-style Fruit Salad Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 lata (836 grams) ng fruit cocktail
- 1 1/2 tasa ng kinayod na buko
- 1 tasa ng nata de coco
- 1 tasa ng kaong
- 1/2 tasa ng whole corn kernels (optional)
- 1/3 tasa ng raisins
- 1/2 tasa ng cheese (hiniwa ng cubes)
- 2 tasa ng all purpose cream
- 1 tasa ng condensed milk
- Buksan ang de latang fruit cocktail. Idrain ito at paghiwalayin ang fruits sa syrup. Sunod na I-drain ang nata de coco at kaong.
- Sa isang malaking bowl, paghaluin ang fruit cocktail, nate de coco, kinayod na buko, whole corn kernels, raisins at cheese. Haluin ng dahan dahan.
- Sunod na ilagay ang all purpose cream at condensed milk. Haluin ng mabuti.
- Palamigin ang fruit salad ng 4 na oras bago i-serve.
- Kumuha ng fruit cocktail at kanin habang malamig pa. Enjoy!