Strawberry Jelly Drink is a popular creamy summer drink in Philippines, where strawberry flavoured jelly and tapioca pearl is mixed in a rich strawberry flavoured cream made with all purpose cream, condensed milk, evaporated milk. This sweet and pink thirst-quencher is made up of your favourite summer jelly in a super creamy milk concoction. P.S. It also goes with small bombs of tapioca pearls!
THE VERY BERRY STRAWBERRY
A strawberry is a type of berry which is pink, heart-shaped and has small seeds on its skin. When we heard about strawberries, we often think of Baguio, where strawberries are grown in abundance. Apparently, the optimal conditions of growing strawberries need a temperature of 50°F–80°F. Baguio is much known for its cold weather which is best for growing strawberries. But in this case, strawberries cannot just be grown out of anyone’s backyard unlike other fruits and vegetables.
Strawberries has a sweet and sour complex which surely pleases our taste buds on every bite. Aside from being eaten as it is, strawberries are commonly used in different types of dishes, especially in desserts and sweet beverages. But did you know that strawberry was also used as a souring agent for sinigang? If you haven’t tried that one, I highly recommend the experience!
Economically-speaking, fresh strawberries are a bit expensive compared to other fruits. Even strawberry preserves are a bit pricey. In making strawberry-flavored desserts and beverages, people are using the much more convenient strawberry-flavored ingredients and/or the strawberry extract flavor for cheaper options. There is nothing wrong with using them. The strawberry jelly drink recipe in this blog shows you how to make a refreshing strawberry-flavored beverage without using actual strawberries.
STRAWBERRY JELLY DRINK
There is a connotation that strawberry is a flavor for kids. Maybe this is the reason why most of kids’ drinks have a strawberry version of it. But I believe that strawberry is a flavor which should be enjoyed by everyone. I think this saying originated with pink being the girl kids’ usual favorite color. But haha, I am an adult and I love pink too!
Making and selling palamig at our garage was my very first job and business. Back then, I was only offering buko and buko pandan. I remember some of my “suki” or usual customers (which are my playmates haha) requesting to vary my flavor options more. Being fond with cutting jellies, I added this strawberry jelly drink to my business. My business grew more money after adding this to my menu because apparently, some kids just like to drink something pink. (That’s how they love pink so much.)
Strawberry jelly drink being a simple but wonderful drink is a usual drink I make during special occasions. It has a very strawberry flavor despite not having real strawberries in it. (Thanks to the strawberry extract.) If you’re looking for a drink which is cheap, simple to make and is definitely gorgeous, add this strawberry jelly drink to your dining table.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY JELLY DRINK
If you have tried making other jelly drinks like buko pandan drink, this recipe will be familiar to you. This is a quick and very easy recipe as it only includes jelly-making.
The dominating ingredient in this dish is the jelly. In this recipe, I used a strawberry-flavored pink gelatin powder. Follow the packaging instructions on how to cook your jelly. I really wanted to give this drink an extraordinary texture so instead of just cutting all the jellies into cubes, I made separate containers and grate the half of the jellies into strips. These difference in shapes will definitely give this drink a more exciting mouthfeel.
Now that the jellies are done, it’s time to make the actual beverage. This jelly drink is milk-based so we are going to use different types of milk—the cream, condensed milk and evaporated milk. You can use fresh milk instead of evaporated milk or even coconut milk for that fresh summer vibes. I also added strawberry extract into the liquid for a pinker and more strawberry flavor. You can also add this in the jelly. Mix everything, including the cooked sago into a nice bowl and your drink is almost done. Chill this drink for a while or just add some ice cubes so you can enjoy it now.
Strawberry Jelly DrinkCourse: Uncategorized
1 sachet gelatin powder (strawberry flavor)
5 cups of water
¼ cup sugar
250 mL all purpose cream
300 mL condensed milk
370 mL evaporated milk (or fresh milk)
2 cups tapioca pearls (cooked)
strawberry flavor extract
- In a pot, combine the water, sugar and the gelatin powder. Stir until completely dissolved. Cook the mixture using low heat. Once boiling, turn the heat off.
- Transfer the jelly mixture into two containers. Allow them to cool and set.
- When firm, cut one container of jelly into cubes, and the grate the jelly from the other container.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the jellies, cooked tapioca pearls, all purpose cream, condensed milk and evaporated milk. Mix until well-combined. Add a few drops of strawberry extract to enhance the flavor and color. Mix until well-combined.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving or serve instantly with ice cubes. Enjoy!
Strawberry Jelly Drink Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 sachet gelatin powder (strawberry flavor)
- 5 tasa ng tubig
- ¼ tasa ng asukal
- 250 mL all purpose cream
- 300 mL condensed milk
- 370 mL evaporated milk
- 2 tasa ng sago (luto na)
- strawberry flavor extract
- Paghaluin ang tubig, asukal at gelatin powder sa isang kaserola. Haluin hanggang matunaw. Lutuin ang mixture gamit ang mababang apoy. Kapag kumukulo na, patayin ang apoy.
- Ilipat ang miture sa dalawang lalagayan. Palamigin ito at patigasin.
- Kapag matigas na, hatiin sa cubes ang kalahati at i-grate naman ang kalahati ng jelly.
- Paghaluin ang jellies, sago, all purpose cream, condensed milk at evaporated milk (o fresh milk) sa isang malaking mixing bowl. Haluin ng mabuti. Patakan ng konting strawberry extract para mas maging pink at malasa. Haluin ng mabuti.
- Palamigin ng 2 oras bago ihain o lagyan ng ice cubes. Enjoy!