Ginataang Puso ng Saging na may hipon or Banana Blossom Shrimp is a delicious take on the usual ginataang or coconut stewed dishes. Creamy, savory, healthy but still flavor pact, this might just be your new favorite lunchtime meal, or quick and easy dinner. The banana blossoms are generously added to a nicely seasoned coconut cream sauce cooked to a chicken and saucy texture which the banana blossoms absorbs, then are added with shrimps that can level up the dish.
What are Banana Blossoms?
Banana Blossoms also known as the ‘Banana heart’, is a tear shaped, purple colored flower that’s peeled till you find the small soft fleshy part, that’s used in dishes. These are traditionally used in Indian and Asian cooking that can be eaten raw is sometimes used as a substitute for fish because of its flaky and chucky texture. Added in stir-fries, stews, filler for some dishes, or the main ingredient for others. It’s become so trendy and popular that social media has been booming with photos of meals and spectacular dishes. Banana Blossoms grow from the cluster of bananas, though it grows in the same tree, it doesn’t have any similar taste to bananas. As a ‘flower’ it doesn’t have a fruity taste, it has a similar neutral flavor to that of a tofu and jackfruit. This makes it easier to add into so many dishes and season with whatever you please.
Health benefits of banana blossoms
Banana Blossoms may be the next vegan food and or ingredient that you’ll be delighted to have a try of. From using them to turn into burgers, replacing meat in curries, or to some even recreating these to turn them into ‘fish’ with how the banana blossom texture can similarly almost feel like dish. The options of plant-based meat meals like beer-battered banana blossom ‘fish’, banana blossom vegan ‘fish’ tacos and even burritos, the things you can do with the banana blossom are unlimited.
Banana Blossoms have a number of health benefits. The nutritional value of this soy-free and gluten-free flower is packed with minerals and nutrients such as calcium, copper, phosphorus, iron, and magnesium. Banana flowers have ethanol with is effective with treating infection in the ‘natural’ way; it also prevents the growth of bacteria. These also help support menstrual wellness, when consumed with yogurt or curd as it increases the progesterone hormone. Its can help control diabetes since it extracts glucose uptake which reduces blood sugar levels. Banana blossoms contain flavonoids, phenolic acids, tannins and other antioxidants that help prevent oxidative damages, which lowers the risk of heart diseases and cancer. These flowers can also boost your mood and reduce anxiety as they can also act as natural antidepressants. It great for lactating mothers who need to increase their breast milk and this also supports the uterus to reduce post-delivery. They promotes kidney function can be a natural way to remove or dissolve painful kidney stones and averts the risk of urinary problems and inflammation. Banana flowers are an alkaline food that help neutralize stomach acid secretions and helps with ulcers, indigestion, and stomach pain.
How to make this delicious Coconut Banana Blossom Shrimp meal?
While this dish is quick and easy to make, it would be easier to make if you prep the banana blossoms in a salt, vinegar, and water concoction before hand to reduce time. All you need are cleaned shrimps cooked in water then set aside. Then simmer the coconut milk and add the banana blossoms, ginger, garlic, and onions. Add in the shrimps and cook for a while to really combine all the flavors.
Tasty, healthy, and delicious, this shrimp banana blossom combo over coconut sauce is an easy dish that will welcome you with a savory aromatic meal with a hint of sweetness.
Banana Blossom in Coconut Milk and ShrimpCourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: Filipino
Try out this shrimp, banana blossom, and coco-nutty cream combo
¼ kilogram shrimp
1 small sized banana blossom
2 cups coconut milk
1 small sized ginger
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 medium sized onion (sliced)
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons vinegar
- Prepare a pot in medium heat. Pour in some water and add in the shrimps. Cover and simmer these for 3 minutes or till it turns pink. Set aside.
- In a bowl with water, mix in salt and 1 tablespoon vinegar. Peel the outer layer of the banana blossom till you see the pale colored heart. Slice this in half, before chopping it to bits. Soak this in the vinegar water for 1 minute.
- Squeeze the banana blossoms to remove the bitter sap, then set them aside.
- In a pot at medium heat, pour the coconut milk, add the sliced banana blossoms, ginger, garlic, and onions, let these simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in the shrimps and fish sauce. Mix well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Mix in 1 tablespoon vinegar. Serve and enjoy!
Ginataang or stewed in coconut milk dishes are seen as traditional Filipino dishes. Delicious and versatile and sweet. It could turn into ginataan which is a warm coconut dessert made with taro, sweetened bananas, and white sago, and savory dishes like the Banana Blossom in Coconut milk and Shrimp, with others using different meats and adding other spices, often adding green or red chilies. This dish is also as versatile as you can add other ingredients like vegetables to make it even more healthier and filling.
Banana Blossom in Coconut Milk and Shrimp recipe (tagalog)
- ¼ kilogram hipon
- 1 maliit na puso ng saging
- 2 tasa coconut milk
- 1 maliit na hatihati na luya
- 3 butil ng bawang (tinadtad)
- 1 katamtamang laking sibuyas (hiwahiwa)
- 1 kutsarang patis
- 1 kutsarang asin
- 2 kutsarang suka
- Ihanda ang palayok na may katamtamang init. Ibuhos ng tubig at ilagay ang mga hipon ditto. Takpan at pakuluin ng 3 minuto o hanggang magkulay rosas. Tabi.
- Sa mangkok na may tubig, ihalo dito ang asin at 1 kutsarang suka. Alisin ang balat ng puso ng saging hanggang Makita ang maputla na kulay ng puso. Hiwain ito sa kalahati bago hiwain ng maliliit. Iababad ang mga ito sa suka hinalong tubig na may suka ng 1 minuto.
- Pisilin ang mga puso ng saging para matanggal ang mapait na katas nito. Itabi.
- Ma palayok na may katamtamang init, ibuhos ang coconut milk, isama ditto ang mga puso ng saging, luya, bawang, at sibuya. Pakuluin ng 20 na minuto.
- Idagdag ang mga hipon at patis. Haluin ng mabuti. Takpan at palutuin ng 5 na minuto. Haluin ang 1 kutsarang suka. Ihanda at mag-enjoy!