Braised beef ribs is a delicious beef dish made by braising beef ribs in a spicy gravy and served with a gravy of mushroom and onion. The tenderness of the beef together with the super savoury and garlicky sauce, garnished with some crispy and fried bacon bits. You will surely go extra on rice! Yum!
WHAT IS A BEEF?
When you attended a wedding reception or even a birthday party with some beef dishes in it, our first reaction might be “Ay wow sosyal! May budget!”. When compared to other meat products, the beef meat is truly more expensive. But why really?
Beef is the meat of a cow, bull or ox. Beef in the Philippines most likely came from cows. The main reason why beef is a bit coslty than others is because of the animal feed used, the environement where they are raised and the ratio of saleable parts to bones. Also, a cow needs to attain maturity for a lot of years before it can be used as a meat, unlike when compared to a chicken that only needs days to be fully mature. The supply and demand for beef plays a great role in its price.
Nutrition wise, beef is almost similar to other animal meats. In texture, beef meat tend to be chewier, which is why you should never overcook a beef. Variations of cooking time for beef are usually seen on steaks like: rare, medium rare, done, well done.
BRAISED BEEF RIBS
Beef dishes is an automatic celebretory dish in our family. We only prepare beef dishes during special occassions and in celebrations.
Braised beef ribs is my go to dish whenever I am becoming low on pantry stocks (HAHA). It was a bit hard to go on supermarkets these days. What I really love about this dish is that beef really has its unique taste and texture when braised, compared to when you boil them or fry them.
If you want a quick and super easy recipe for your beef, try this one!
HOW TO COOK BRAISED BEEF RIBS
Braised beef ribs may take some hours to cook but the final result is simply so addicting. Most of the steps would require minimal work, this dish can still be prepared during busy nights.
Prepare the short ribs by sprinkling them with salt and pepper. Unlike other recipes, the garlic which will be used in this recipe will be a whole garlic which will be cut in half (I’ll tell you its use later!)
Saute the garlic in oil to infuse the flavor. Saute the pork ribs together with the tomato paste and beef broth (you can also use beef broth cube). Beefs usually cooks longer when compared to pork and chicken, so sit back and relax while waiting for them to become tender.
The next step is roasting them in an oven. This is to make sure that the beef would be tender inside and out. This step can take more than an hour. While waiting, let’s create our toppings. You can choose from a variety of toppings you like, but I find fried mushrooms and crispy bacon bits as a good accompaniment for our beef short ribs.
After the beef is done roasting, the sauce will be reduced. Drain the remaining sauce and then transfer it to a bowl. Gently mash the garlic and then mix them with the sauce to thicken and to enhance the garlic flavor. It is easier to mash a garlic when together than when used as cloves.
When the ribs and the toppings are ready, time to transfer it to a serving dish. Don’t forget to add the toppings! Best served with very hot steaming rice. Yummy!
Braised Beef RibsCourse: Beef Recipes
700 grams short ribs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 whole garlic
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 cup mushroom
2/3 cup bacon bits
1 teaspoon parsley (for garnishing)
- Place the short ribs in a plate and massage them with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Slice the garlic in half (horizontally).
- Heat some oil in a pan. Fry the short ribs using medium to high heat until they become gorgeous brown in color. Set them aside.
- On the same pan, saute the halved garlic until they turn golden brown and aromatic. Add the tomato paste, the beef broth and then stir a bit. Add the short ribs back to the pan and then stir to coat them with the sauce. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the whole dish to an oven safe container and cover with foil. Roast the short ribs in the oven for 1 – 2 hours at 180 C.
- Heat some oil in another pan. Fry the bacon bits until slightly brown. Add the mushrooms and stir gently. When the bacon turned brown, turn off the heat.
- Arrange the short ribs in a serving plate. Drain the sauce. The softened garlic will help in thickening the sauce.
- Drizzle the garlicky sauce over the short ribs. Top it with the crispy mushroom and bacon bits. Garnish with some parsley. Serve this with a lot of newly steamed rice. Enjoy!
Braised Beef Ribs Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 700 grams short ribs
- 1 kutsarita ng asin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 buong bawang
- 2 kutsara ng tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tasa ng pinakuluan ng baka
- 1/2 tasa ng mushroom
- 2/3 tasa ng bacon bits
- 1 kutsarita ng parsley (pang garnish)
- Ilagay ang short ribs sa pinggan at budburan ng asin at paminta sa parehong side.
- Hatiin ang bawang sa dalawa (horizontally).
- Magpainit ng mantika. Iprito ang short ribs gamit ang katamtaman hanggang malakas na apoy hanggang maging brown. Isantabi.
- Sa parehas na kawali, igisa ang mga bawang hanggang maging golden brown. Sunod na ilagay ang tomato paste at ang pinagpakuluan ng baka. Haluin. Ibalik ang short ribs sa kawali at haluin para malagyan ng sauce. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto ng 30 minutes.
- Ilipat ang buong dish sa isang oven safe container. Takpan ng aluminum foil. I-roast ang short ribs sa oven ng 1 – 2 oras gamit ang 180 C.
- Magpainit ng mantika sa isa pang kawali. Iprito ang bacon bits hanggang maging light brown. Ilagay ang mushrooms at iprito nang magkasama. Kapag brown na ang bacon, patayin ang apoy.
- I-arrange ang short ribs sa serving plate. Idrain ang sauce. Piraitin ang bawang at gawing pampalapot ng sauce.
- Ibuhos sa ibabaw ng short ribs ang sauce. Lagyan ng crispy mushroom at bacon bits sa ibabaw. Lagyan ng fresh parsley. Iserve ito kasama ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!