Impress your friends and family by serving the Filipino version of morcon at your dinner table! This elegant beef roulade is filled a lot of flavors and colors which stimulates the appetite and make your meal time more enjoyable. Morcon is a beef roll stuffed with different ingredients and is braised in rich tomato-based liquid. It is served with hot steaming rice or with mashed potatoes together with the sauce.
When you search for morcon in the internet, you might be surprised that the original morcon from Spain were revealed. Filipino’s made our own version or morcon which is totally delicious and competitive with the different dishes all around the world.
Morcon is a Filipino-style beef roll which consists of thinly-sliced beef rolled with a variety of stuffings including a variety of food items like cheese, eggs, carrots, pickles, bacon and sausages. The roll is tied and is braised in wonderful tomato sauce until done. If a beef roll is tied, that’s when you know it is bursting with goodness inside. This roulade is usually compared to other meat rolls like chorizo, embutido and sausages.
Morcon may be tedius to prepare for some which is why it is only served during special occasions. Beef may also be a bit of expensive compared to other meat. There are other variations of morcon which uses chicken and pork. If you want to stay with the classic version, prepare your budget and get excited to work for a while in the kitchen.
HOW TO COOK MORCON
To first step in making the morcon is choosing your beef. You can actually make use of any beef cut as long as it is lean meat. Some of the recommended beef cuts would be beef brisket, beef round and chuck. Prepare your beef slices. You can either slice the meat yourself or ask the butcher to cut it morcon-style. The thickness should be half an inch per slice. If in case you are having difficulties making it thinner, you can use a kitchen hammer or a rolling pin to smash the beef. Cut the beef slices parallel to the grain so that you can cut against it after it is rolled. When the beef slices are done, marinate them in a mixture of soy sauce and calamansi. While marinating, prepare the fillings and cut them into strips.
It’s wrapping time! Lay a slice of beef in clean and flat surface. Arrange the fillings inside. There are actually no rules on what to put inside. This recipe includes the fillings used in a classic morcon. Roll the beef slice and tie them using a twine. You can watch the cooking video to serve as a guide on how to tie the roulade. When done, coat the beef roll with flour and sear the outside in some hot oil. Searing will brown the crust and will seal the juices inside.
The beef roulade is now done and it’s time to make the sauce. Start by sautéing the aromatics and then adding the sauce ingredients and seasonings. Add the morcon roll and let it bathe in the flavorful liquid. Baste the morcon from time to time to let it sip in the sauce. Transfer the morcon into a container and continue cooking the sauce until it thickens. Arrange the sauce and the morcon in a serving plate. Make sure to remove the twines and cut the morcon into serving pieces before serving. This is best enjoyed with rice or mashed potatoes on a whole full meal. Happy eating!
MorconCourse: Beef Recipes
¾ kilo beef (sliced thinly)
1 carrot (cut lengthwise)
2 pieces hotdog (cut lengthwise)
2 pieces whole pickles (cut lengthwise)
2 oz cheese (cut lengthwise)
eggs (hard-boiled and cut into halves)
flour (for coating)
200 grams tomato sauce
1 beef broth cube
1 piece bay leaf
4 pieces calamansi
6 tablespoons soy sauce
7 to 10 tablespoons all-purpose flour
fish sauce to taste
pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, put the beef slices in a mixture of soy sauce and squeezed calamansi and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Separate the beef from the marinade. Reserve the marinade.
- Lay the marinated beef in a clean flat surface. Arrange the hotdog strip, pickles, carrot, cheese and egg in the middle. Roll the beef into a log enclosing the filling. Tie the beef roulade to remain the beef roll intact. Roll the beef rolls in flour until fully-coated. Repeat these steps with the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat some oil in a pan and sear the beef rolls until slightly brown. Transfer the beef rolls into a container.
- In the same pan, sauté the onions and garlic until light brown. Add the reserved marinade, a cup of water, bay leaf, beef broth cube, tomato sauce and stir until well-combined.
- Add the beef roulade. Cover the pan and let it cook for an hour using low heat. Baste the morcon with the sauce from time to time.
- Remove the beef morcon from the pan. Continue cooking the sauce and season it with fish sauce. Let it simmer for 3 minutes until the sauce is thick.
- Remove the beef morcon twines and slice into serving pieces. Pour the morcon sauce into a serving plate then place the morcon pieces. Pour some sauce over the morcon.
- Serve with hot steaming rice and enjoy!
Watch how to Cook Morcon
Paano Magluto ng Morcon
- ¾ kilo ng baka (hiniwa ng manipis)
- 1 piraso ng carrot (hiwain ng pahaba)
- 2 piraso ng hotdog (hiwain ng pahaba)
- 2 piraso ng buong pickles (hiwain ng pahaba)
- 2 oz cheese (hiwain ng pahaba)
- itlog (nilaga at hinati sa dalawa)
- harina (pang-coat)
- 200 grams ng tomato sauce
- 1 piraso ng beef broth cube
- 1 piraso ng bay leaf
- 4 piraso ng calamansi
- 6 kutsara ng toyo
- 7 – 10 kutsara ng harina
- Sa isang malaking bowl, ilagay ang karne ng baka sa pinaghalong toyo at kalamansi at imarinate ng 30 minuto.
- Ihiwalay ang karne sa marinade. Isantabi ang marinade.
- Ilagay ang marinated beef sa isang malinis na flat surface. I-arrange ang hotdog, pickles, carrot, cheese at itlog sa gitna nito. I-roll ang beef habang nasa loob ang filling. Itali ang beef para hindi matapon ang nasa loob nito. I-roll ang morcon sa harina. Gawin ang mga steps na ito sa iba pang ingredients.
- Magpainit ng mantika at iprito ang morcon hanggang maging light brown. Ilipat ang mga ito sa isang lalagyan.
- Sa parehas na kawali, mag-gisa ng sibuyas at bawang hanggang maging light brown. Ilagay ang marinade, isang tasa ng tubig, bay leaf, beef broth cube, tomato sauce at haluin ng mabuti.
- Ilagay ang morcon. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto ng 1 oras gamit ang mababang apoy. I-baste ang morcon gamit ang sauce nito.
- Alisin ang morcon sa kawali. Lagyan ng patis ang sauce at hayaan itong maluto ng 3 minuto hanggang lumapot.
- Alisin ang tali ng morcon at hiwain ito sa serving pieces. Lagyan ng morcon sauce ang serving plate bago ilagay ang morcon pieces. Lagyan ng sauce ang ibabaw ng morcon.
- Ihain ang morcon kasama ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!