Lonely and looking for love? Find true love with the classic pinoy beef stew favorite—the beef pares. Make this soup dish at home and warm yourself with some beefy goodness. This dish is best partnered with garlic rice.
If food can be a soul mate, then my soul mate would definitely beef pares. Beef pares is one of the best Pinoy street food. I always pass by a lot of beef pares carts on the way home. I have actually tried each one of them and all were perfectly savoury. Like, who would expect a beef stew in street food carts, right?
Unlike the famous tusok-tusok street foods, beef pares is more of a meal rather than a snack. It is compose of tender beef brisket cubes, beef broth soup and rice. The word “pares” is a Tagalog word which means “pair”. There are some debates whether the “pair” pertains to the beef cubes and beef soup or the beef cubes and the rice.
This soupy dish is very in demand during the rainy season. Aside from street food carts, some restaurants started to add this food pairing to their menu. With the lockdown, people had been craving for beef pares as street food carts are not encourages. The people started learning how to make pares at home, since it is safer to prepare own food. If you want to know how to make your own beef pares, try the recipe below and have fun!
HOW TO COOK BEEF PARES
If you are cooking a beef dish, that is the perfect time to make use of your pressure cooker. The pressure cooker raises the temperature inside the pot, making the cooking faster and with super tender beef. If not available, you can slow-cook the beef but it would take a lot of time.
To start with the beef pares, pressure cook the beef to make a savoury beef broth and a super tender beef meat. Save the beef broth. A part of it will be used for the sauce and the other will be served as it is. Sauté the aromatics and then add the beef cubes and the rest of the ingredients until you form a dark sauce. You may add a slurry to adjust the thickness of the sauce. Serve the beef pares with some beef broth and garlic fried rice. Eat them together for a wonderful pares experience!
Beef ParesCourse: Beef Recipes
1 kilo beef (cut into cubes)
1 onion (chopped)
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 tablespoon peppercorns
3 pieces of star anise
¼ cup soy sauce
1 piece of beef broth cube
a pinch of salt
pepper to taste
sugar to taste
a bunch of spring onions (chopped)
6 cups of water
- Prepare the beef cubes and transfer them to a pressure cooker. Pour some water and add the peppercorns and half of the onion. Let it cook for 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- After an hour, separate the meat from the broth. Reserve 2 cups of the broth.
- Heat some oil in a wok and saute the garlic and the rest of the onions until fragrant and light brown. Add the beef cubes, reserved broth, star anise, soy sauce and the beef broth cube. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Add the slurry while stirring continuously. Continue simmering for another 10 minutes.
- When the sauce is thick, turn the heat off.
- Transfer the beef pares to a serving plate and sprinkle with some chopped spring onions. Serve it with beef soup, chili garlic sauce and unli garlic fried rice. Enjoy!
Beef Pares Recipe (tagalog)
- 1 kilo baka (hiwain ng cubes)
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 3 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 kutsara ng pamintang buo
- 3 piraso ng star anise
- ¼ tasa ng toyo
- 1 piraso ng beef broth cube
- 1 tali ng spring onions (hiniwa)
- 6 tasa ng tubig
- Ihanda ang baka at ilagay ang mga ito sa pressure cooker. Lagyan ng tubig, buong paminta at sibuyas. Hayaan itong maluto ng 40 minuto hanggang 1 oras.
- Pagkatapos ng isang oras, ihiwalay ang karne sa sabaw. Magtabi ng 2 tasa ng sabaw.
- Magpainit ng mantika sa isang kawali. Igisa ang bawang at sibuyas hanggang maging light brown. Ilagay ang karne, sabaw, star anise, toyo at ang beef broth cube. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto ng 15 minuto. Budburan ng asin, paminta at asukal.
- Ilagay ang slurry habang hinahalo ng tuloy tuloy. Hayaan itong maluto ng 10 pang minuto.
- Kapag malapot na ang sabaw, patayin ang apoy.
- Ilagay ang beef pares sa isang serving plate at budburan ng spring onions sa ibabaw. Ihain ito kasama ng sabaw ng baka, chili garlic sauce at unli garlic fried rice. Enjoy!