If you’re looking for a no-meat recipe which will surely tickle your palate, the sweet and sour tofu recipe is the perfect dish for you! Crispy chunks of tofu coated with some savoury sweet and sour sauce topped with colourful slices of red and yellow bell peppers on top, totally guilt-free and hassle-free! Have this vegetarian dish in less than 20 minutes.
SWEET AND SOUR TOFU
The square white blocks you see on the vegetable aisle of the grocery is definitely one of the best meat alternatives—the tofu. Tofu is one of the best meat alternatives. If you’re trying to lose some weight, you can re-create your favorite meat dishes with the help of tofu. Since tofu is made from soy beans, these small cubes are rich in protein and is low on cholesterol and fat. A simple tofu tastes bland and may be boring if not cooked in a fun way. But on the other side, the bland nature of the tofu makes it a great pair for a variety of sauces and coatings. I have been using tofu in a lot of daily dishes. I sometimes use it as a main dish or as a part of my ramen noodles and many more.
Tofu is automatically prepared for our daily meals during the Holy Week. If you’re a Filipino, you’ll know about the 40 days of sacrifice where you do not eat meat. That’s a lot of days for those who are not so familiar to a number of no-meat dishes. This vegetarian ingredient is really beneficial which allows us to still enjoy our meals guilt-free. One of the most-awaited tofu dish in our family is the sweet and sour tofu. This is the very first dish I cook on the morning of Ash Wednesday.
Crispy chunks of tofu coated with sweet and sour sauce. Even just the thought of if makes me drool. The more I cook with tofu and the more I understand why Asian people love it so much. To know how to make one of my comfort foods, read the sweet and sour tofu recipe below and give it a try. Happy cooking!
HOW TO MAKE SWEET AND SOUR TOFU
If you have tried making any sweet and sour dish in the past, I bet the following steps will be familiar to you.
Prepare the tofu by cutting them into small squares. Check your tofu before using. If you sense some foul odor or simply having some doubts, try to have a new one. This is critical since we are making a sweet and sour dish. The sauce might mask the sourness and this may be harmful. Fresh tofu are best bought from the market and are recommended to be used immediately. Since we will fry them later, remember to pat them dry to prevent oil from too much splattering. Fry them until brown and crispy.
Prepare the sweet and sour sauce base by simply combining the ingredients in a small bowl. Saute your aromatics and your bell peppers and then add the sauce. To make the sauce thick, add the slurry. The sauce will thicken more as it cools down so the best consistency you should look for is a thin one but is going there. Add the fried tofu and coat them. Place a nice amount of sweet and sour tofu on a bed of rice and enjoy!
Sweet and Sour TofuCourse: Vegan, Vegetable Recipes
1 block of tofu
2 pieces bell peppers
1 medium-sized onion (sliced)
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 thumb-size ginger
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon starch
salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the tofu and cut them into small squares.
- For the sweet and sour sauce, combine the brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce and water in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the tofu cubes until golden brown and crispy. Stir a bit to cook the other sides. Transfer them into a container.
- Remove most of the oil in the pan. Saute the ginger, onions, garlic and bell-peppers for a few minutes.
- Add the sweet and sour sauce and the slurry. Stir gently until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the fried tofu cubes back to the pan. Toss gently to coat with the sauce.
- Transfer the sweet and sour tofu in a serving plate. You may make some papak or eat it with hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Sweet and Sour Tofu Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 bloke ng tokwa
- 2 piraso ng bell peppers
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 2 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 thumb-size luya (hiniwa)
- 3 kutsara ng asukal na pula
- 2 kutsara ng apple cider vinegar
- 1 kutsara ng toyo
- 1/3 tasa ng tubig
- 1 kutsara ng ketchup
- 1 kutsara ng starch
- asin at paminta
- Hiwain ang tokwa ng malilit na squares.
- Para sa sweet and sour sauce, paghaluin ang asukal na pula, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, toyo at tubig sa isang maliit na bowl. Haluin ng mabuti.
- Magpainit ng mantika at iprito ang tokwa cubes hanggang maging golden brown at crispy. Haluin ng konti para maluto ang ibang sides. Ilipat sa lalagyan.
- Alisin ang karamihan ng mantika sa kawali. Igisa ang luya, sibuyas, bawang at bell peppers ng ilang minuto.
- Ilagay ang sweet and sour sauce at ang slurry. Haluin ng tuloy tuloy hanggang lumapot ang sauce. Budburan ng asin at paminta.
- Ilagay ang mga pritong tofu sa kawali. Haluin ng dahan-dahan hanggang malagyan lahat ng sauce.
- Ilipat ang sweet and sour tofu sa isang serving plate. Pwedeng papakin o samahan ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!