Sinarsahang Atay at Balunbalunan is a popular chicken liver and gizzard recipe made by sauteing liver and gizzard with soy sauce, pepper, onionm, garlic, tomaro sauce, green peas, lemon soda and red chili. With tomato sauce, green peas and bell peppers, this dish deserves to have a spot on your menu! With alternating textures of smoothness and chewiness. This yummy kitchen recipe will guide you step by step to make this scrumptious Sinarsahang Atay at Balunbalunan for you.
WHAT IS ATAY AND BALUNBALNUNAN?
Atay and balunbalunan are two different types of meat. Atay is the tagalog term for liver while balunbalunan is the tagalog term for gizzard.
Fun fact: Did you know that only bird species (chicken, duck, turkey, etc) have gizzard? Even humans don’t have it!
Liver is a type of innard which is very soft when rare, and becomes firm and crumbly when cooked. Not all people is a fan of liver because it has a sandy and metallic taste. Meanwhile, the gizzard is a chewy and rubbery type of meat which is why it is needed to be fully cooked to be tender. If you haven’t seen a gizzard, it is the one which looks like the letter “S”.
Liver and gizzard always almost comes together in many dishes. They are usually cooked as adobo, stir fried, and grilled. In this recipe, let’s explore another type of recipe that uses liver and gizzard which you will surely enjoy.
SINARSAHANG ATAY AT BALUNBALUNAN
Admit it. Not all of us loves chicken liver and gizzard. A perfect example would be my kapitbahay. Therese is my fave kapitbahay simply because she gives free food, particularly ingredients which are just sitting in her fridge because they don’t wanna cook it. Last night, she gave me her chicken liver and gizzard which she got from a budol sale at the supermarket.
Usually, I cook my liver and gizzard as adobo. But since I had just prepared some adobo lately, I had thought of a dish which will really highlight the natural flavors of this liver and gizzard. Since I’ve got some tomato sauce in my pantry, why not just simply add some sauce to it? A tomato-based sauce will surely be perfect especially for the liver.
What I love about this dish is that some of the chicken liver melts in the tomato sauce. This dish is almost similar to a caldereta but the chicken liver is there and is not all in the sauce. This dish started as a trial dish just to enliven the liver and gizzard given to me but this is totally added to my menu now! I asked Therese to come over and taste the dish and she was really surprised that you can make chicken liver and gizzard as tasty as this dish.
Whether you’re a liver lover or not, sinarsahang atay at balunbalunan will surely amaze you! If you wanna know how to make some of this dish, read and follow the simple steps below. Happy cooking!
HOW TO MAKE SINARSAHANG ATAY AT BALUNBALUNAN
Making sinarsahang atay and balunbalunan is very easy compared to the other tomato based Pinoy dishes.
Just like any other meat, let us marinate the liver and gizzard first. For this recipe, I used simply lemon soda and soy sauce. The fruity sweetness of the lemon soda will help extract the natural flavors of this dish and will help tenderize the meat, especially the gizzard.
The first part of this recipe is sauteing the gizzard and the liver. But take note that the liver becomes crumbly and dry when overcooked. So after a few minutes, remove the liver from the pan and just let the gizzard cook on its own.
Do not waste the flavors from the marinade and lets use it as the sauce base. When the gizzard is already tender, you can now add the liver back to the pan to let it absorb the sauce. Add the tomato sauce and the rest of the ingredients. In this recipe, I added green peas and red bell peppers for color and flavor. You can also add other veggies you like such as potatoes and carrots.
I really love having sinarsahang atay at balunbalunan as a topper for my hot steaming rice. Sometimes, we make this dish spicy, cut the meat into smaller pieces and have it as a pulutan with some ice cold beer. Enjoy this dish however you want. Yum!
Sinarsahang Atay at BalunbalunanCourse: Chicken Recipes, Filipino Recipes
1/2 kilo chicken liver
1/2 kilo chicken gizzard
1 cup Sprite (or any lemon soda)
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 medium onion (chopped)
4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1/3 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup green peas
1 medium red bell pepper
- Prepare and wash the chicken liver and gizzard. Transfer them to a bowl or container. Pour the lemon soda and soy sauce. Season with some black pepper and then mix well. Let this marinate for an hour.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Add the garlic and onions and then saute for a few minutes until aromatic. Add the marinated chicken liver and gizzard until they turn light brown. Remove the chicken liver from the pan and transfer to a container. (To prevent overcooking the chicken liver). Set aside.
- Add the reserved marinade. Cover the pan and let it simmer for a few minutes until the gizzard is tender. Once cooked, add the chicken liver back to the pan. Mix well until coated with the sauce.
- Add the tomato sauce and stir a bit. Let it cook until the tomato sauce is absorbed by the liver.
- Add the green peas and the red bell pepper. Mix well and saute.
- When the veggies are cooked, transfer the sinarsahang atay at balunbalunan to a serving plate. Serve this with a lot of newly steamed rice. Yum!
Sinarsahang Atay at Balunbalunan Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1/2 kilo ng atay ng manok
- 1/2 kilo ng balunbalunan
- 1 tasa ng Sprite (o kahit anong lemon soda)
- 1/3 tasa ng toyo
- 1/2 kutsarita ng paminta
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 4 butil ng bawang (hiniwa)
- 1/3 tasa ng tomato sauce
- 1/2 tasa ng green peas
- 1 red bell pepper
- Ihanda at hugasan ang atay at balunbalunan saka ilipat sa isang bowl o lalagyan. Ibuhos ang lemon soda at ang toyo. Timplahan ng paminta at haluin ng mabuti. Imarinate ito ng isang oras.
- Magpainit ng mantika. Ilagay ang bawang at sibuyas at igisa ng ilang minuto hanggang maging mabango. Sunod na ilagay ang atay at balunbalunan at lutuin hanggang maging light brown. Alisin ang mga atay sa kawali at ilipat sa lalagyan (para hindi ma-overcook).
- Ilagay ang marinade. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto ng ilang minuto hanggang lumambot ang balunbalunan. Pag luto na, ibalik ang atay sa kawali. Haluin para malagyan lahat ng sauce.
- Ilagay ang tomato sauce at haluin ng konti. Hayaan itong maluto hanggang matuyo na ang tomato sauce.
- Ilagay ang green peas at red bell pepper. Haluin at igisa.
- Kapag luto na ang veggies, ilipat ang sinarsahang atay at balunbalunan sa serving plate. Ihain ito kasama ng mainit na kanin. Yum!