If you are tired of getting rid of fish bones while you eat your fish, try this sinaing na tulingan for a soft-up-to-the-bone fish experience! Sinaing na tulingan is a fish dish where tulingan is braised in a flavorful liquid with kamias and pork fat. Aside from being very simple to make, it will only cost you a few ingredients to enjoy this wonderful dish.
SINAING NA TULINGAN
The word “sinaing” is almost always associated to steamed or boiled rice. But don’t you know that you can “saing” fish too? Sinaing na tulingan is one of the most famous from the coastal towns in the province of Batangas. In this dish, the fish is braised inside a clay pot with pork fat, native spices, dried bilimbi, or sour tropical fruit and aromatics. It is commonly compared to “paksiw na isda” but uses tamarind juice as the souring agent to cook the fish. This dish has different layers of saltiness and sourness. The liquid where the fish was braised is called “patis”. The longer you braise the fish, the better it tastes. Sounds appetizing, right?
There are different type of fish you can use in a sinaing. One of the most common is the tulingan. Tulingan is a saltwater fish and is large enough to be used in a sinaing dish. Sinaing na tulingan can be eaten straight out of the pot. For Batangueno’s, their tulingan goes from different stages. First, they will cook the tulingan as sinaing. After a while, the fish will be fried and will be made to ginataang tulingan. All those three tulingan dishes are delicious and tasty. If you want to try this tulingan adventure, try to make sinaing na tulingan today!
HOW TO COOK SINAING NA TULINGAN
The classic sinaing na tulingan is cooked in a palayok. But if there’s none available, the regular kitchen pot may do. To start, prepare the tulingan. Make sure to twist and bend the tails as it becomes allergic for some. Flattening the fish is optional, but it helps in the exchange of flavors between the fish and the liquid for later. Wrap the tulingan in banana leaves. This step is also optional but is highly recommended to help keep the head intact. As you braise the fish, it will become super tender up to the bone and the head is prone to separating. The last thing to do is to arrange the rest of the ingredients in your pot and add some water for braising. The simmering time may take hours but the result would definitely be worth the wait. When you serve the sinaing na tulingan, add some tomatoes in the patis and serve with garlic fried rice. Enjoy!
Sinaing na TulinganCourse: Fish Recipes
½ kilo tulingan
kamias (fresh or dried)
pork fat (optional)
- Wash the fish and remove the scales. Gently bend and pull the tails. Make a horizontal slit on both sides of the fish. Rub with some salt. Gently flatten the fish and wrap using banana leaves. Do these steps with the rest of the fish.
- Arrange the kamias on the pan. Place the wrapped fish above the kamias. Add the pork fat (optional).
- Pour enough water to cover the fish. Cover the pan and let it simmer until the sauce is reduced. Once boiling, lower the heat and continue simmering.
- After 30 minutes, add more water as needed. Continue simmering for at least 1 to 2 hours.
- Transfer the sinaing na tulingan to a serving plate and serve with hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
- It is best to cook this recipe in a clay pot.
- You can also use charcoal or wood in cooking this recipe as it tastes better if cooked longer until the bones are soft.
Paano Magluto ng Sinaing na Tulingan
- ½ kilo ng tulingan
- kamias (fresh o pinatuyo)
- taba ng baboy (optional)
- dahon ng saging
- Linisin ang tulingan, tanggalin ang scales at dahan dahang hilahin ang buntot. Maglagay ng hiwa sa gitna ng bawat side ng tulingan. Pahiran ng asin at i-flatten ang tulingan. Balutin ang bawat isda gamit ang dahon ng saging. Gawin ang mga steps na ito sa iba pang tulingan.
- I-arrange ang kamias sa kawali. Ilagay ang mga binalot na tulingan sa ibabaw nito. Ilagay ang taba ng baboy sa kawali (optional).
- Lagyan ng tamang dami ng tubig para matakpan ang tulingan. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto hanggang maiga ang sabaw. Kapag kumukulo na, babaan ang apoy at hayaan itong maluto ng ilang minuto.
- Pagkatapos ng 30 minuto, magdagdag ng tubig. Hayaan itong maluto ng 1 hanggang 2 oras.
- Ilipat ang tulingan sa isang serving plate at ihain kasama ang mainit na kanin. Enjoy!