If you want to venture on other types of salad, potato salad is one of the highly recommended ones. This starchy colourful salad is made up of spiced fork-tender potatoes tossed with a mix of the best salad ingredients. Best eaten as a dessert or appetizer.
Salad is a staple for every occasion happening in our house. Some of the typical salads we usually prepare are macaroni, fruit and vegetable salad. We have one type of salad which is prepared for a specific reason—the potato salad.
Potatoes are one of the easiest food items to work with. It can be boiled, fried, baked and incorporated in a lot of dishes. All places in the world has their own ways of cooking potatoes which are truly admirable. Aside from rice and bread, potatoes are one of the staples in the Philippines. One potato dish I truly love is the potato salad.
As simple as it sounds, potato salad is a salad which highlights the starchy and creamy goodness of steamed potatoes when combined with other vegetables and spices. With its ease of preparation and simple ingredients, it is one of the most famous types of salads worldwide.
Before the pandemic, my mom makes her most-requested potato salad especially for our weekly family picnic day. She prepares the salad the Southern-style which includes a little bit of spices. As this salad is loaded with a lot of carbohydrates, it matches our energy needs during picnic day where we play different sports and games. Aside from the usual snack or appetizer role of the potato salad, we eat a lot of it and it almost always makes me full.
Since the quarantine, we stopped having our picnic day and our potato salad are prepared as an afternoon snack. The potato salad is easy make and with simple ingredients.
HOW TO MAKE POTATO SALAD
Making a potato salad is almost similar to other fresh salads but with just a few added steps.
Our star ingredient in this salad is of course, potato. I have an abundant supply of marble potatoes which will really go well with our potato salad. Wash each of the potatoes and peel them. This peeling process may take you a while so if you want to do it quick, you can opt to use large regular potatoes and just cut them into cubes. Remember to soak them in water while you’re cutting the others to prevent darkening.
Cook the potatoes by either steaming or boiling. The potatoes must be fork tender before added in the salad. Aside from the fork test, you can also try doing a taste test. The ideal potatoes are soft but firm and will not be mushy when tosses. The next thing to do is to combine all the ingredients in a large salad bowl.
Our mayo garlic dressing is much simpler than imagined. Simply combine mayonnaise, minced garlic (you can also use garlic powder) and seasonings. Toss the potato salad in the mayo garlic dressing for a wonderful coating.
The potato salad is done and you can actually start eating it at this point. But for me, I like it chilled. Enjoy your potato salad with some freshly chopped celery leaves on top!
Potato SaladCourse: Salad Recipe, Vegetable Recipes
½ kilo marble potatoes
220 mL mayonnaise
4 ribs of celery (celery)
1 piece carrot (minced)
1 piece onion (minced)
¼ cup green peas
4 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon parsley (chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the marble potatoes and peel them one by one and then cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Transfer the marble potatoes to a steamer and cover. Let it steam for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, do the fork test to check if the potatoes are fork tender. Remove them from the steamer and transfer into a large bowl.
- In large salad bowl, combine the carrots, celery, onions, and green peas and stir well. Add the steamed marble potatoes.
- For the dressing, place the mayonnaise in a bowl and add the garlic. Season with some salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mayo dressing into the salad bowl. Toss well until each piece is well-coated with the dressing.
- Sprinkle the fresh rosemary leaves and toss again. Chill the potato salad until ready to serve.
- Scoop some chilled potato salad into a serving bowl and top with celery leaves before consuming. Enjoy!
Potato Salad Recipe (TAGALOG)
- ½ kilo marble potatoes
- 220 mL mayonnaise
- 4 tangkay ng celery (celery)
- 1 piraso ng carrot (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 piraso ng sibyas (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- ¼ tasa ng green peas
- 4 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 kutsarita ng fresh rosemary
- 1 kutsarita ng parsley (hiniwa)
- asin at paminta
- Hugasan ang marble potatoes at balatan isa isa. Hatiin ang mga ito sa bite-sized pieces.
- Ilipat ang mga marble potatoes sa steamer at takpan. I-steam ang mga ito ng 15 minuto.
- Pagkatapos ng 15 minuto, gawin ang fork test para ma-check kung malambot na ang mga patatas. Alisin ang mga ito sa steamer at ilipat sa isang bowl.
- Sa isang malaking salad bowl, paghaluin ang carrots, celery, sibuyas at green peas. Haluin ng mabuti. Ilagay ang steamed marble potatoes.
- Para sa dressing, paghaluin ang mayonnaise at hiniwang bawang sa isang bowl. Burburan ng asin at paminta. Haluin ng mabuti.
- Ilagay ang mayo dressing sa salad bowl. Haluin ng dahan-dahan para malagyan lahat ng dressing.
- Budburan ng fresh rosemary leaves at haluin ulit. Palamigin ang potato salad bago kainin.
- Kumuha ng pinalamig na potato salad sa isang serving bowl at lagyan ng fresh celery leaves bago kainin. Enjoy!